Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 08:12 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Could be a fox or coyote. We had both in NE Ohio.
Foxes aren't that big though. My guess would be coyote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2023, 08:13 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
I was turning into my subdivision couple of weeks ago and something ran in front of me in the middle of the right turn.

I didn't get a good look at it, but it was larger than a large dog and kind of had fuzzy fur at the bottom of its belly. That's all I was able to see. It didn't move like a dog, however. It moved in a very stealthy manner and quickly.

Any ideas on what I saw? Coyote, maybe? I have no idea how they move.
Might've been a bobcat

Old 12-16-2023, 11:21 AM

715 posts, read 1,038,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
I was turning into my subdivision couple of weeks ago and something ran in front of me in the middle of the right turn.

I didn't get a good look at it, but it was larger than a large dog and kind of had fuzzy fur at the bottom of its belly. That's all I was able to see. It didn't move like a dog, however. It moved in a very stealthy manner and quickly.

Any ideas on what I saw? Coyote, maybe? I have no idea how they move.
Could be a coyote. Around the Thanksgiving holiday we were driving at dusk in a neighborhood in north Florida and a coyote jay-trotted catty-corner across a four way stop intersection. Just trotting through, sniffing around the block. I rolled down the window and was like, hey coyote!, and he/she didn't even look up. Not super stealthy though. He had a trot that's very similar to a large dog. In that area though, you can hear many coyotes yowling and yip/howling off in the distance during the night... like they're just partying like it's 1999.

Old 12-16-2023, 11:58 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Might've been a bobcat
A bobcat is nowhere near as large or larger than a large dog. A cougar would be.

Old 12-16-2023, 11:59 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
The only wild animal that fits the description is a bear or cougar. If the description is incorrect then it could be anything with four legs.

Old 12-16-2023, 01:28 PM

715 posts, read 1,038,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
A bobcat is nowhere near as large or larger than a large dog. A cougar would be.
Yep, I saw a bobcat during the day on a sand trail in north Florida back in the day--- later saw 3 wild turkey up ahead that it might have been tracking/upwind-- and it was smaller than a coyote and the bobcat was as tall as it was long. High and lanky. Coyotes are large-dog dimensions... torso quite longer than their height. Bobcats can look almost odd they're tall compared to length. Also that bob tail is nothing like a long coyote tail. BTW the bobcat I saw became aware of me and just nonchalantly disappeared into some palmetto palms along the trail. Didn't run. Just disappeared. Very elusive. Coyotes are like, I'm not hanging around necessarily, but they're kind of like, What Up? when they do run into a human. More 'social' than bob cats.

Old 01-04-2024, 08:34 AM

321 posts, read 279,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gball721 View Post
Could be a coyote. Around the Thanksgiving holiday we were driving at dusk in a neighborhood in north Florida and a coyote jay-trotted catty-corner across a four way stop intersection. Just trotting through, sniffing around the block. I rolled down the window and was like, hey coyote!, and he/she didn't even look up. Not super stealthy though. He had a trot that's very similar to a large dog. In that area though, you can hear many coyotes yowling and yip/howling off in the distance during the night... like they're just partying like it's 1999.
dec 19, 2019 - 610pm - dark, warm! taking poomix for a potty break. Munster - NW IN - walking across street under light and hear a slow, low howl behind me. we walked a little quicker and I slowly turned to see a youngish - thin - coyote hiding by the side of my apt building.

when i first left my apt, i heard a commotion down the street - believing them to be kids tearing it up. now, I believe it was a new den full of young yoties with mom going on hunt. they travel down the old RR trak made into trails from Lynwood, IL country club. they also hang out at the municipal airport.

they are brazen! love the fish pond down the block I heard. love the high school area, church pre-school area, etc.

I picked my 10 pounder up with her leash and tucked her under my hoodie and walked backward to the house I was closests to and asked for a ride home due to an animal. The woman said sure - we spoke at times, and she recalled my poodlemix - and that she has seen many LARGE foxes getting into her trash. well - I told her go outside early or late banging on a pan with a spoon or make a TON of crazy noise. they will run. I don't think it was a large fox. Mine howled at me. To alert mates? Mmmm, snak on a string.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus