Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 08:14 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,506,136 times

Advertisements

Ok, so here is my convoluted mess I've made.

I have used Outlook Express for years at work, and always been told that the size of the folders wasn't important, that it was only limited by hard drive space. Apparantly that isn't true and it doesn't like folders larger than 2 gb. One of my folders grew larger than that, and got corrupted. When it tried to compress, it now reads as an empty file, even though the 2 gb still seems to be there.

I have already googled this and apparantly it is a known problem and I have tried a bunch of different things suggested. I have restored the .bak to a .dbx file and put it back in the correct location, no dice. I have tried renaming it, that didn't work. I have tried zipping it with Winzip and re-extracting it, which didn't work. I have tried importing it to Outlook, which worked with everything except for this file, it doesn't even seem to see it (Anyone know a way to specify which .dbx file you want to import, rather than just everything?).

I do have a backup file of my entire email folder, but it is from last September (I know I should backup more often, there just aren't enough hours in the day), so I'm really just trying to retrieve one file's worth of 7 months of emails. I think it is about 1000 emails total.

I still have the file, it still says it is very large, but neither Outlook nor Outlook Express will recognize that it even exists.

I've seen some people talking about DBXpress, which may be my next step, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any other ideas, since that program isn't free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 08:18 AM

16,716 posts, read 15,720,104 times
You might try installing Thunderbird on the machine and see if it will import those files.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:25 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,506,136 times
Hmmm. Apparantly that is going to be a more complicated process than it should be. During the setup, it told me it didn't recognize my user name or password (which I know to be correct) and then wanted me to override a bunch of stuff, that I didn't want to override. I looked on my email carrier's website, and apparantly they have joined with gmail, because the Thunderbird link goes to directions to make your gmail account work on Thunderbird, but my account isn't gmail and the directions don't work.

I'll play a bit and see if I can figure it out. I also can't make the send/receive work on Outlook, and I'm guessing it is a similar reason.

Weeks like this one, I wish my company was large enough to have a tech department of our own

Old 04-13-2011, 03:07 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,850,696 times
Have you tried restoring the files using "mail navigator?" Restore destroyed Outlook Express DBX files
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers