Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 10:46 PM

810 posts, read 1,764,034 times

Advertisements

Hi I just saw a ad for the google chromebook for $199 and I have a few questions that I can't find a amswer to online.
Exactly what is a chromebook? Is it similar to a tablet? I know you can go online but can you use ms programs? Basically I just use word and excel mostly. I can do without excel at home but I would need a word document based program.
Can someone direct me to where I might be able to find info regarding this? Sorry but my laptop has a awful virus and is not usable so I have to do everything from my phone. The price $199 is perfect for me at the moment, but not if the computer wouldn't be worth the $200.
Thank you in advance.
Stephanie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 10:53 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,472,244 times
Its basically a cheap laptop that only runs Google's Chrome browser. It is meant to use Google's services, ie Google Docs, Google Drive for storage, etc. If you can do what you need solely through a browser, then it would work. Otherwise, no.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:20 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,208,577 times
I bought the $250 chromebook as a second computer, and must confess I use it a lot more than my primary rig when not working. I'm typing on it right now.

No, you can't use MS programs you have to get used to Google Docs. Main reasons I use it more:
1) Boot time, it boots faster than many smart phones. You'd be surprised at how often you want to look up something real quick and now do it on a laptop since it is more convenient.
2) No updating, as in no Adobe nagging no Java nagging no Firefox nagging no antivirus nagging no Windows installing updates no video card driver updating etc.
3) Surf the web without fear of getting a virus, I click on anything I want
4) Light (2.5 lbs) and long battery life, so good for casual couch use. Also no fan so its dead quiet.

That said, there are a lot people who couldn't have it as a primary computer. Although it does have usb ports, hdmi, a camera, and a primitive semblance of a file management system its just too limited to mainly surfing the web and using web-based apps.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:15 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,136,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
I can do without excel at home but I would need a word document based program.
Google Docs (and thus, the Chromebook) does spreadsheets. They're not as full-featured as Excel, so nothing exotic like pivot tables, but it'll do most of the simple things people do with spreadsheets, like budgets and sortable lists.

Honestly, the best way to find out whether the Chromebook apps will meet your needs is to try them out now on your present computer. Just go to Redirecting... and login with your Gmail account credentials. If you don't have a Gmail account, sign up for one first. It's free!

Old 12-07-2012, 09:20 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,714,778 times
Doesn't it need an internet connection to be usable/useful?

Old 12-07-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Doesn't it need an internet connection to be usable/useful?
I think it has some offline/caching capability but for the most part it is tied to Google and the Internet.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:39 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,152,280 times
Just because your laptop has a virus doesn't mean you have to buy a new one. At worst, wipe it out and reload.
If you want a new basic budget laptop, you don't have to spend that much more than a Chromebook ... here's a $259 basic laptop from Gateway on sale at Target: Gateway 15.6" Laptop PC (NE56R27U-US) with 500GB... : Target

Old 12-07-2012, 12:47 PM

16,556 posts, read 19,734,014 times
Doesn't mean you should buy the cheapest thing you can find either. How spoiled are we?
I guess I am in a bad mood lately because some of these posts lately just annoy me.
Like another post in another thread "I want a really good laptop... my budget is $400..."
This is the same guy whining that "Why don't we make anything in America anymore?"
Well there's why. Because you expect a GOOD laptop for $400.
A $260 Basic Target laptop is a disposable laptop. A $250 Chromebook is cheap because it ISN'T a fantastic laptop. If you buy a new Chromebook every 2 years for $250... big deal. OR you could spend $700 on a laptop that WILL last you 4 years.
Let's stop being so GD cheap. mm kay????

/rant off/removing tongue from cheek...
lol

Old 12-07-2012, 01:26 PM

354 posts, read 518,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Because you expect a GOOD laptop for $400.
A $260 Basic Target laptop is a disposable laptop. A $250 Chromebook is cheap because it ISN'T a fantastic laptop. If you buy a new Chromebook every 2 years for $250... big deal. OR you could spend $700 on a laptop that WILL last you 4 years.
Let's stop being so GD cheap. mm kay????
highly disagree that more expensive pc/laptop means it will last better. exhibit a - my CRAPtop the oh so uh-may-ZING hp tx2z cost me a whopping $900. and it gave me problems the sec i held it in my hands and now less than 2 years later it gave me the black screen of death the day the warranty expired ohhh the irony.

now my laptop is on 24/7 because if it turns off. i have no idea when it wants to turn on again.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvalentine View Post
highly disagree that more expensive pc/laptop means it will last better. exhibit a - my CRAPtop the oh so uh-may-ZING hp tx2z cost me a whopping $900. and it gave me problems the sec i held it in my hands and now less than 2 years later it gave me the black screen of death the day the warranty expired ohhh the irony.

now my laptop is on 24/7 because if it turns off. i have no idea when it wants to turn on again.
I found your problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers