Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2024, 04:28 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times

Advertisements

Is there any way to delete copilot from my computer. It say to go into 365 page but my computer does not have 365.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2024, 09:02 PM

I found a bunch of youtube videos on how to do it, but none of them work.

Old 02-10-2024, 09:44 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
What is copilot?

Old 02-10-2024, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
What is copilot?
A crap A1 update that Microsoft put on W10 and 11. Anytime you try to search, it pops up in the way.

Old 02-11-2024, 07:22 PM

6,623 posts, read 7,334,922 times
Ask it how to do it

Old 02-11-2024, 07:29 PM

Interesting, I wasn't aware of it.
I Googled it and the first link was the actual site, so visited the site.
I have never used ChatGPT but I imagine this was like MS' version of it so I gave it a shot:

Quote:
You
How to completely remove copilot from Windows?
Copilot
To completely remove Copilot from your Windows 11 system, you have a few options. Keep in mind that these methods are more advanced and require caution, as they can affect your system settings and performance. Before proceeding, back up your registry or create a restore point in case something goes wrong.

Using the Group Policy Editor (for Windows 11 Pro, Enterprise, or Education editions):
Press Windows + I to open the Settings app.
Navigate to Personalization and then select Taskbar.
Toggle off the Copilot (preview) feature12.
Using the Registry Editor:
Right-click the Start button and select Terminal.
Copy and paste the following command and press Enter:
reg add HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsCo pilot /v TurnOffWindowsCopilot /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Sign out of your account and then sign back in for the change to take effect.
To re-enable Copilot, use the command:
reg delete HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsCo pilot /f

Remember that you can also hide Copilot from the taskbar by right-clicking the Copilot icon and unchecking the option ā€œShow Copilot button.ā€ This will remove the Copilot button from the taskbar, but you can still access Copilot by pressing Windows + C shortcut key
By Terminal, it must be referring to Command Line aka Command Prompt.

Anyhow, give that registry trick a shot. you are basically creating a local policy to disable it.
Do you not see it in the "Programs and Features" or APPS list that you could simply uninstall?

Old 02-11-2024, 09:15 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
A crap A1 update that Microsoft put on W10 and 11. Anytime you try to search, it pops up in the way.
Which is why I have a computer w/ Windows 7. XP would be even better, but sometimes it's difficult getting things like printers and such to work. I did once buy a laptop w/ Win 10, and boy, did I hate that thing. It wouldn't allow me to do almost anything beyond what it was already set up to do. With XP or 7 you can set them up exactly how you like them. Everything is logical and intuitive, something that Win 10 machine decidedly was not.

Linux worked fine for me until it killed itself during an update. I haven't updated any computer or phone in over 20 years because of that, and they all work fine.

Old 02-11-2024, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Interesting, I wasn't aware of it.
I Googled it and the first link was the actual site, so visited the site.
I have never used ChatGPT but I imagine this was like MS' version of it so I gave it a shot:

By Terminal, it must be referring to Command Line aka Command Prompt.

Anyhow, give that registry trick a shot. you are basically creating a local policy to disable it.
Do you not see it in the "Programs and Features" or APPS list that you could simply uninstall?
It is not in programs and features. They don't want it disabled. On a tech site, they said in the beginning you could just right click on it and shut it off, but they removed that option. Just more MS bloatware.
Tried the registry trick, did not work.

Old 02-11-2024, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Which is why I have a computer w/ Windows 7. XP would be even better, but sometimes it's difficult getting things like printers and such to work. I did once buy a laptop w/ Win 10, and boy, did I hate that thing. It wouldn't allow me to do almost anything beyond what it was already set up to do. With XP or 7 you can set them up exactly how you like them. Everything is logical and intuitive, something that Win 10 machine decidedly was not.

Linux worked fine for me until it killed itself during an update. I haven't updated any computer or phone in over 20 years because of that, and they all work fine.
The one I am on now is W 7. But the one in my office is the W 10. And like you, I don't do updates on the 7. There is no "opt out" of updates on W 10.

Old 02-12-2024, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
It is not in programs and features. They don't want it disabled. On a tech site, they said in the beginning you could just right click on it and shut it off, but they removed that option. Just more MS bloatware.
Tried the registry trick, did not work.
The "Programs and Features" list doesn't always match the APPS list under SETTINGS panel (Windows Key + i)
You should scan thru the APPS list to see if you can spot it. While in that section, check the STARTUP list at the bottom of the APPS section to see if there is a related startup entry which would allow you to stop it from loading every time you start Windows.

I actually noticed a flaw in copilot's instruction after posting. In order to modify Windows Registry via Command prompt commands, Command Line window must be launched as Administrator. So when you search for Command Prompt, under the Command Prompt entry to the right you will see a list, there select "Run as Administrator" option. Then copy paste the registry command and press ENTER. It should work that way. Of course you would need to reboot the computer for this type of chances to take effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers