Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2024, 11:09 AM

822 posts, read 550,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This should have been the first question. NO OCR engine is going to convert handwritten notes unless you have some exceptional hand writing.

The handwritten ones will be typed up from images, but I'd like to avoid retyping the old Wang Word processor printouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2024, 11:09 AM

8,372 posts, read 13,520,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Windows 10 kept saying that a better PDF program was already installed. Windows 10 has the unfortunate habit of thinking that the crippled features it has built-in are better than the programs I want to install that have the features I actually need. As far as the free Adobe Reader, I don't have anything against it, I just want to install 1 PDF program that has all of the features I need. As Henry David Thoreau said, "Simplify, Simplify".
Feel free to try/buy the 3rd party app Mike mentioned. Since he is using it himself and offers good recommendations here, I'd say it to be a good option.

That said, I have never seen Windows stopping the installation of an actual programs because it thought there was a better option already installed. It might do this with device drivers but even then you can still override it. I wonder if this is some Windows Home edition nonsense I have never encountered before?

When installing the program, whether it is from a folder or a removable media, try RIGHT-CLICKING on the executable to install the program and select "Run as admin" to see if it yields a more favorable outcome.

For PDF viewing, Adobe PDF Viewer is typically much faster so if you are doing mostly viewing, using the free version would be better. I use free Sumatra PDF because all I do is view/read PDF files almost always and that is one of the fastest apps I have used.

Old Yesterday, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
If you don't have Adobe Acrobat (paid version), then your best bet for free OCR would be either FreeOCR or SimpleOCR from this list: Free OCR Software - FreeOCR.net the free OCR list - Optical character recognition software

If you have LibreOffice, it can also handle some editing on PDF files.
The only free PDF editor I am aware of is PDFGear.

That is all I can recommend based on your issue. I am sure others will chime in with possibly better suggestions.

I tried FreeOCR, but it reads many of "y"s as "g"s. There are dozens of errors on each page. It's a little bit better than typing from scratch, but not much.

The SimpleOCR needed to install a version of Microsoft C++, which I allowed, but it said it could not. NO reason.

I can't edit until it convert it form a graphic, so I'll keep looking.

Thanks for trying, anyway!

Old Yesterday, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I have been using NitroPDF since Windows 7.
No version of Windows Pro has overridden that choice once I made it.

It is not free, but it is a onetime purchase and doesn't expire. The only next cost is to update versions, if you desire.
And, the cost is much less than Adobe.

https://www.gonitro.com/videos/intro...%20nitro%20pro

It looks like I would have to purchase the Nitro Pro version, close to $200, to get the OCR. And I don't know how good that OCR is. I think I'll hold off, and look for a library that has a scanner that does OCR. Or maybe buy a new printer with OCR, although I have to say I haven't seen a low-end printer/scanner with built-in OCR for maybe 15 years, so that option may not be open to me any more.

Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM

8,372 posts, read 13,520,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
I tried FreeOCR, but it reads many of "y"s as "g"s. There are dozens of errors on each page. It's a little bit better than typing from scratch, but not much.

The SimpleOCR needed to install a version of Microsoft C++, which I allowed, but it said it could not. NO reason.

I can't edit until it convert it form a graphic, so I'll keep looking.

Thanks for trying, anyway!
Always try reinstalling those types of apps (the ones that require additional packages) by right-click on their installer and selecting "Run as admin" to have better success.

Alternatively, you can download the appropriate one, 32bit/64bit version (x86/x64, respectively) from here.

As mentioned though, the OCR can and almost always gets certain letters wrong when reading from scanned imaged of handwritten text.

Before coughing up loads of money for paid programs, see if you can download their trial version and see if they can actually do a better job before paying.

Good luck.

Old Today, 07:04 AM

469 posts, read 293,690 times
On your phone, open up your email app. Compose a new message. Tap the microphone button and read your notes into the phone. Save the message as a draft. On your computer, sign into your email. Locate the drafts folder and open the message you just saved on your phone. Copy the message and paste it into MS Word (or whatever). You'll have just completed 90% of your work without typing a thing. Now read through the text and correct as needed.

Old Today, 07:32 AM

16,588 posts, read 19,799,923 times
Soda is good and been around for at least a decade.

https://www.sodapdf.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers