Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 10:33 PM

822 posts, read 550,625 times

Advertisements

I have a file drawer fill of notes I've taken over the years that I want to digitize, and maybe update.
The public library has a nice, fast scanner that converts to .pdf and puts on my thumbdrive.
When I got home, I discovered that all those files are images, not text.

I asked the librarians if the scanner had OCR software on it, but they didn't know. I didn't see anything on the screens that looked like an OCR choice.

I'd like to be able to go over those notes, but with the pdf being only an image, I can't.

Is there a way to convert a .pdf that is only an image to one where I can copy text?

Will I have to go out a buy a printer with OCR software on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2024, 12:26 AM

8,372 posts, read 13,520,292 times
If you don't have Adobe Acrobat (paid version), then your best bet for free OCR would be either FreeOCR or SimpleOCR from this list: Free OCR Software - FreeOCR.net the free OCR list - Optical character recognition software

If you have LibreOffice, it can also handle some editing on PDF files.
The only free PDF editor I am aware of is PDFGear.

That is all I can recommend based on your issue. I am sure others will chime in with possibly better suggestions.

Old 05-17-2024, 06:26 AM

6,642 posts, read 7,384,992 times
Try Foxit Reaer https://www.foxit.com/pdf-reader/
Look at comment menu.
You can type comments on the document.
Free

Old 05-17-2024, 06:53 AM

469 posts, read 293,690 times
Are these notes handwritten or are they printed pages from something like MS Word?

Old 05-17-2024, 07:06 AM

4,177 posts, read 3,101,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
If you don't have Adobe Acrobat (paid version), then your best bet for free OCR would be either FreeOCR or SimpleOCR from this list: Free OCR Software - FreeOCR.net the free OCR list - Optical character recognition software

If you have LibreOffice, it can also handle some editing on PDF files.
The only free PDF editor I am aware of is PDFGear.

That is all I can recommend based on your issue. I am sure others will chime in with possibly better suggestions.

I use PDFGear; Windows 10 would not allow me to install Adobe Acrobat Professional XI. I still need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to fill out my fillable PDF tax forms.

Old 05-17-2024, 08:24 AM

16,588 posts, read 19,799,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44echo View Post
Are these notes handwritten or are they printed pages from something like MS Word?

This should have been the first question. NO OCR engine is going to convert handwritten notes unless you have some exceptional hand writing.

Old 05-17-2024, 03:43 PM

8,372 posts, read 13,520,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This should have been the first question. NO OCR engine is going to convert handwritten notes unless you have some exceptional hand writing.
I didn't wanna be the bearer of bad news because based on this "I have a file drawer fill of notes I've taken over the years that I want to digitize" it sounded like hand written.
I have yet to see an OCR software extract text from handwritten images.

Hopefully, I am wrong but likely case I am not, her best bet is to take additional notes on the scanned images OR re-write them again on the computer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I use PDFGear; Windows 10 would not allow me to install Adobe Acrobat Professional XI. I still need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to fill out my fillable PDF tax forms.
Adobe Acrobate Pro 11 is a bit old but wonder why Windows 10 didn't let you install it? Errors or something else?

Are you not happy with the free Adobe ReaderDC?
I have never tried Sumatra PDF with fillable PDF files but that is the free app I use to view PDF files.

Old 05-18-2024, 06:32 AM

4,177 posts, read 3,101,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
...Adobe Acrobate Pro 11 is a bit old but wonder why Windows 10 didn't let you install it? Errors or something else?

Are you not happy with the free Adobe ReaderDC?
I have never tried Sumatra PDF with fillable PDF files but that is the free app I use to view PDF files.
Windows 10 kept saying that a better PDF program was already installed. Windows 10 has the unfortunate habit of thinking that the crippled features it has built-in are better than the programs I want to install that have the features I actually need. As far as the free Adobe Reader, I don't have anything against it, I just want to install 1 PDF program that has all of the features I need. As Henry David Thoreau said, "Simplify, Simplify".

Old 05-18-2024, 07:26 AM

43,432 posts, read 77,376,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Windows 10 kept saying that a better PDF program was already installed. Windows 10 has the unfortunate habit of thinking that the crippled features it has built-in are better than the programs I want to install that have the features I actually need. As far as the free Adobe Reader, I don't have anything against it, I just want to install 1 PDF program that has all of the features I need. As Henry David Thoreau said, "Simplify, Simplify".
I have been using NitroPDF since Windows 7.
No version of Windows Pro has overridden that choice once I made it.

It is not free, but it is a onetime purchase and doesn't expire. The only next cost is to update versions, if you desire.
And, the cost is much less than Adobe.

https://www.gonitro.com/videos/intro...%20nitro%20pro

Old 05-18-2024, 11:07 AM

822 posts, read 550,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44echo View Post
Some are hand-written, most are typed. No electronic copies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers