Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 10:11 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,947,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post

Roku Streaming Sticks is between Roku Express and Roku Ultra in price and in features.
That's the one I have. I like the feature that lets you use their app to turn your smart phone into a remote control, and listen to the audio through headphones hooked to the phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 10:18 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,947,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
BTW......an antenna is not an option in many areas of the country. Digital TV signals do not carry near as far as the old analog ones. In places like where I live, a signal from the TV towers never makes it here.
That's why I'm stuck having to pay for cable. Only one of the local OTA channels is receivable via antenna where I live, and that's only because the station just happens to be a few miles down the road from where I live. I'm in eastern Albany County about 7-8 blocks from the Hudson River, so I'm down in a valley. The other stations' transmitters are all over in the Helderbergs, so I have a mountain range between them and my house, and I rent, so I can't just install a roof-top antenna at will.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:03 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
But you could probably pay less using a service like VUE or YouTUBE TV which may include your local channels.
You need to find that out.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:38 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,582,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Are you serious? "Fake" TV? wtf is fake TV?
I pay for Hulu... so I can watch 'regular TV' whenever I feel like it. I can't imagine the days of having to be home at 9pm so I can watch Modern Family tonight. Or setting my VCR/DVR. So since I pay for that convineince... I am watching fake TV even though I am watching the same shows you watch.
Also pay for HBO. Is this fake TV? So you haven't seen Game of Thrones? Your loss. If that's fake TV you can have your 'regular TV'.
I pay for Netflix.
Did you see Orange is the New Black?
House of Cards?
Stranger Things?
The new "Lost in Space" series coming out next month?
You are missing out on some great programming.

Please explain to me why CBS and NBS are real but Netflix and HBO are fake?
Real TV is TV that is transmitted over the TV spectrum of radio waves. Licensed facilities by the FCC.
Received by you and everyone else free over the air.

Programs that you receive over the internet,,, maybe even satellite,,,those are just programs.

I'm maybe "old school" on that because I've been in the business many decades, it's that simple.
I don't even watch much myself, usually too busy.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:03 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
Thanks for the detailed analysis. It's just ridiculous that it's this hard.
The nice thing is that it is that there is no commitment to any of these streaming services. If you don't like them, you can switch next month.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:38 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I'm maybe "old school" on that because I've been in the business many decades,
Not 'maybe' brother. You are WAY old school.
Game of Thrones on HBO may be the greatest television show I've ever seen in my life. Because I have to pay for HBO it is somehow not good?
Ok then what about cable TV? It's not OTA so it's "fake"? AMC = fake? TSM = fake?

I feel sorry for you missing out on an enormous amount of excellent content if all you watch is Network OTA TV. hehehe

Old 04-06-2018, 06:24 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Not 'maybe' brother. You are WAY old school.
Game of Thrones on HBO may be the greatest television show I've ever seen in my life. Because I have to pay for HBO it is somehow not good?
Ok then what about cable TV? It's not OTA so it's "fake"? AMC = fake? TSM = fake?

I feel sorry for you missing out on an enormous amount of excellent content if all you watch is Network OTA TV. hehehe
Spent Easter Sunday with some friends I heard this same thing from multiple people.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:06 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Seriously over the air digital TV is FIRST and to me that is REAL TV. Anything you pay for, is different and fake to me. Pay TV is not real TV.
It's an interesting word to suddenly come into fashion. I have to admit that this particular usage is the first time I have ever heard it.

Quote:
The word fake is of unknown origin; attested in London criminal slang as
adjective (1775, "counterfeit"),
verb (1812, "to rob"), and
noun (1851, "a swindle;" of persons 1888, "a swindler"), but probably older.

A likely source is archaic English word feague "to spruce up by artificial means," from German fegen "polish, sweep," also "to clear out, plunder" in colloquial use.
"Much of our early thieves' slang is German or Dutch, and dates from the Thirty Years' War" (1618-1648) .
So do you mean "fake" as in counterfeit or as in "you are being swindled"?

Over the Air television is not "free", but it is a way to get the consumer to watch commercials. When it began in earnest after WWII the cost of equipment was astronomically high, and their was no monetary charge for the signal.

In the early 1960's black and white TVs were still expensive. Color TV was for the wealthy.
'60 Philco: $249 (17") over $2000 today
'61 Zenith: $259 (19") roughly $2200 today
'61 Zenith: $575 (23") almost $5000 today

The top 3 shows in the 1960-61 television season were westerns
Gunsmoke (1/37.3) CBS Saturday
Wagon Train (2/34.2) NBC Wednesday
Have Gun – Will Travel (3/30.9) CBS Saturday

The official US public launch of the HDTV digital broadcasting system is technically considered to be 1998, but a 19" Samsung color TV cost $340 in 1996.

Today, the cost of equipment is relatively cheap so we pay for the signal by a combination of agreement to watch commercials, or as a straight financial transaction.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 04-07-2018 at 01:18 PM..

Old 04-10-2018, 12:22 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times
For $20 a month with Sling I have over 30 channels, and access to seasons of shows on those channels and a small selection of newer movie that they cycle in and out over a month to month period. It runs off your internet, and you can cancel it and start it up at any time. I had it for over a year, didn't use it much near the end so I cancelled it for just over a month, saved $20 that month, and then came back to it. Their start up and cancellation policy is the easiest and most hassle free, it's all online and can be done in a matter of minutes. I have the base package for Sling, but it's enough for me, I don't watch much TV, between local basic channels and Sling, I have enough selection in channels.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:03 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,932,278 times
I have Dish,they increased my package by $5 and locals by $2 and would not let me remove locals some time ago.
Recently they tried this again which p----- me off,so went into my account and saw check mark on locals,I removed check mark and package was recalculated to new rate.
I now receive 31 channels on local antenna,ABC and FOX in two states along with many new channels.
We are well retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics