Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 03:36 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times

Advertisements

There is a writer doing a cut the cord weekly email—
Think he is on CNET site
He has lot of good info about which steaming service offers better options for best price
Also how to set up to record when you use a streaming service like Hulu Live...
Will look in my trash file and see if I can find last email he sent...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 03:38 PM

Jared Newman
Cord Cutter Weekly
Do a Google search and I am sure you will find his site
It’s free to get on the email list
Good info and don’t think he really pushes one service over another
Some of his info is more technical than I “get” but he seems to know his stuff

Old 02-05-2019, 03:42 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Roku has a PBS app but to get some programs you have to pay for a “premium” level membership
Like CBS is over the air but there is no CBS streaming app that lets people watch for free
The CBS streaming service does offer some shows not on OTA transmission but think you can also get regular programming thru it...

If you have browser capability with your streaming device—meaning you can go to an Internet site like PBS.com you can access and watch some shows via browser vs app

I have an older iPad that can’t update and download some apps from the App Store
Like Hulu quite working for me because the App was outdated
But I think I can sign in via my browser w/my email and Hulu account info and watch streaming on my older iPad w/o using the Hulu app
Thanks for the info! We ended up getting a $50 annual paid subscription to PBS, my husband and I both watch it enough that we figured it was worth it.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:16 PM

50 a year is not a bad price
I pay more than that for Acorn because my sister really liked some of the older British comedies that I don’t—we both have Roku and I pay subscriptions for streaming for several sources for her to use...

Old 02-06-2019, 08:27 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,685,380 times
For the record, you can watch an enormous amount of PBS for free. Just download the PBS app on your Roku or Firestick or or or. The pay feature gives you access to older content I believe?!? 2Sleepy, confirm

Watch PBS on Your Apps and Devices | PBS Anywhere

Old 02-06-2019, 12:41 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
For the record, you can watch an enormous amount of PBS for free. Just download the PBS app on your Roku or Firestick or or or. The pay feature gives you access to older content I believe?!? 2Sleepy, confirm

Watch PBS on Your Apps and Devices | PBS Anywhere
The paid subscription gives you access to all of the programming new and old and works with Roku or Apple TV. AFAIK, you can't use the passport app without a subscription but you can watch some PBS content on your TV, phone or tablet for free, and you might be able to "cast" the content to your TV. Hulu and other streaming services have some PBS video content but it's very limited. If you want everything that is on your local PBS station and access to all of the older programs you need to purchase a passport membership. I

If you have cable, like comcast PBS is usually part of your station lineup and is free but they haven't worked out the licensing for streaming services like Directv now, Hulu, Sling etc. https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/pbs-...tion-vue-more/

We watch a lot of PBS so the $50 isn't a big deal to us (It looks like that might be $60 now).

Old 02-06-2019, 02:51 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Yea, that's it. The 'normal' PBS app which runs on everything only gives you access to newer shows and not all of them. Although the selection is large. Passport gives you access to a LOT of older stuff.
Definitely worth it for someone into PBS. And not a bad thing to support either.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Thanks for the info! We ended up getting a $50 annual paid subscription to PBS, my husband and I both watch it enough that we figured it was worth it.
This is latest column from Jared Newman
About PBS streaming
Thought you might be interested
https://www.techhive.com/article/333...l-with-it.html

Streaming content is very complicated
I remember commenting on one site about “Homicide: Life on the Street” which was as good as ANY series in past 40 years—and it has been a long time since “Homicide” ran—not being available on line—either for streaming or the DVDs...

Someone answered that marketing rights were not really considered when Homicide was created/run and trying to get in touch with all living required persons and any estates of the dead for marketing rights would be so much more complicated than money to be made from running it

I have set of DVDs that were mfg before lot of newer technology
They won’t really work with a new blu-ray DVD player
I have to use a portable one that is probably 15 yrs old or older to get them to play w/o skipping and that doesn’t always work—and they are not bootleg DVDs—
Just older products of older technology...

Homicide was the precursor to The Wire, The Shield, and in some ways lot of other serial dramas...
Great acting as well as writing and location shooting—
And in Baltimore...

Old 02-09-2019, 12:39 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,932,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Awhile back Dish was going to increase cost of my locals to $2.
They charged me $10 added to package and could not be removed from package to start with.This made me mad,so went to account and noticed check mark,removed it and package 120 was recalibrated to $77 from $99.
For$13 from ebay I purchased four small amplified indoor antennas which pick up 18 channels,I use AV splitters for my locals etc.Dish was networks only.They are HD antennas.
I do receive several channels which weren't on dish.
This now is old post,the $2 should be $12,since then my son in law dropped his cable and pointed me to outdoor antenna with rotor which I do not use,have it in corner of living room,picks up 36 stations,28 are usable English speaking channels.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:43 PM

Yes but no streaming content
And are you able to record and play back any of these channels—
Or strictly watch as aired?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics