Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 12:24 PM

182 posts, read 119,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
A burner phone, to me, is something that is untraceable by LE. None of the suggested methods can work like that.
1) Put on sunglasses and a throw-away hat you don't normally wear. Make sure you're effectively unrecognizable.

2) To to Target (or wherever) and buy a disposable phone. Pay with cash.

3a) Go to an internet cafe. Register your phone.

or

3b) Buy a used phone or laptop with cash, just for the purpose of going somewhere with free wifi (coffee shop, library, etc.) to register your phone. You can do this from your car, just parking near the hotspot.

4) Don't be an idiot. Don't logon to anything with your burner phone that can be traced to you. Use it in areas with lots of people, and not in a pattern from which a place like your residence or workplace can be discerned. Just make your calls to Gus Fring or whoever and keep it at that.

Can it be traced? Sure. To the IP and subsequently to the provider of the signal you used, maybe even as far as the purchaser of the used phone/laptop you may have bought for registration purposes. But then the trail goes cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 06:45 AM

1,097 posts, read 643,412 times
Doesn't sound like a smartphone is what you want. Sounds like you want a flip phone with the cheapest prepaid plan. Some plans let you bring your own phone. I shop for the plan first and then buy my own phone that works with that plan.

Old 12-16-2021, 11:12 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
In one of the Jason Bourne movies, he walked up to a phone seller, bought a phone with cash, opened it, and started calling someone. Now that was a burner phone, something I have not been able to buy. I have been using Tracfone's annual pre-paid phones for about six years now. Any phone I use has to be registered with them and activated on their website and thus leaves a trail of digital clues that I own the phone. No such thing as a "burner" phone for me.
^^^^^ Unless it has changed, there's no check against what you register.

You could put Mickey Mouse in the name registration fields, and make up stuff for any other fields as well.

Old 12-18-2021, 11:20 AM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I gather they're called burner phones
You don't want/need a burner phone unless you are planning some illegal activity.

Old 12-20-2021, 07:44 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You don't want/need a burner phone unless you are planning some illegal activity.
Doesn't have to be illegal to be anonymous. Two different things. They serve a purpose and they are a lot easier to buy and start using. As I mentioned, they sell them at the Dollar Store of all places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics