Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2021, 03:02 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,707,802 times

Advertisements

I don't normally use a cell phone, but I've been thinking it might be handy to have something to toss in a suitcase when I'm traveling. I'm hoping it would be something that might sit unused for months or years, but that I could grab in a pinch. They don't expire, do they? I gather they're called burner phones, but really just pre-paid, I think.

Are there any particular recommended brands, for durability, reliability, or simplicity?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2021, 04:12 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Look around on Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy for cheap phones.

I used to have one, and am now considering getting one as a back up phone.

I didn't buy a smartphone, hopefully you can find a generic, no frills phone.

I also did 'pay as you go', not prepaid service. Now I only see 'pay every month' plans, or 'pay 3,6, 12 months in advance' plans. It's not the same thing.

What I did was plunk down $35-50, and only had to put more $ on it when the $ amount was used up. To 'keep' the service, I just had to make 1 call per month, not pay every month. The service was through Boost. Don't know if they still offer that type of thing. Would be nice.

No idea if that is still possible, but that, to me, is a true 'burner' phone.

Old 11-14-2021, 10:17 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,777,950 times
In one of the Jason Bourne movies, he walked up to a phone seller, bought a phone with cash, opened it, and started calling someone. Now that was a burner phone, something I have not been able to buy. I have been using Tracfone's annual pre-paid phones for about six years now. Any phone I use has to be registered with them and activated on their website and thus leaves a trail of digital clues that I own the phone. No such thing as a "burner" phone for me.

Old 11-16-2021, 07:45 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
"Burner" phones aren't really a thing anymore in the US. You can still find them in many other countries.

Just go to Walmart and ask for a Prepaid phone. No there are no 'recommended' brands.
Just buy what the sales person tells you, load some minutes and don't forget to at least charge the thing every 30 days.

Old 11-18-2021, 06:31 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,707,802 times
Right, I don't really want to pay in advance for calendar time (I assume that's what's meant by "annual") because it might sit there unused for ages.

Peregrine, when you say they're not a "thing," do you just mean that most people prefer other kinds of phones, or that manufacturer are phasing them out because they're not profitable, or what?

Thanks for mentioning that about charging. That's exactly the kind of thing I'd forget.

Old 11-19-2021, 07:08 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
manufacturer are phasing them out because they're not profitable
This.

Old 11-19-2021, 07:14 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times
Sim cards are the new "burners".

You can buy a pre-paid sim card from any carrier. Buy an unlocked phone of your choice, pop in sim card. Theres your "burner". From there, you can either call in to add minutes/data or buy a new one w/ a new number, depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
"Burner" phones aren't really a thing anymore in the US.
Sure they are ... in certain circles.

Old 11-19-2021, 08:32 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I don't normally use a cell phone, but I've been thinking it might be handy to have something to toss in a suitcase when I'm traveling. I'm hoping it would be something that might sit unused for months or years, but that I could grab in a pinch. They don't expire, do they? I gather they're called burner phones, but really just pre-paid, I think.

Are there any particular recommended brands, for durability, reliability, or simplicity?
Consumer Cellular has plans and phones that may suit you. Not a "burner" but something that you don't have to use unless you need it. Minutes carry over, low price on the plans, that type of thing. I don't have personal experience with them but I see them advertised on TV. $11 down and $2 a month. Can you handle that?

https://www.consumercellular.com/sho...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

As far as "burner" phones, Dollar General comes to mind. I have no idea how often you need to use them to keep them active.

https://www.dollargeneral.com/produc...s/devices.html

Old 11-20-2021, 04:02 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,786,636 times
https://www.howardforums.com/forum.php

Ask in the prepaid section of that website.

Old 11-21-2021, 12:06 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,777,950 times
A burner phone, to me, is something that is untraceable by LE. None of the suggested methods can work like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics