Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 09:21 AM

16 posts, read 9,268 times

Advertisements

Vizio flat screen model D32F-G4.

Every few days the screen will "lock up". The remote doesn't work, nor do the buttons on the back of the TV. In other words, it is stuck on whatever screen was being watched. The only way to turn the TV off is to pull the AC plug out of the wall, wait a few seconds and then plug it back in.

The second "issue" is that the picture size is only a fraction of the full screen when viewing TV on the "antenna" input. When I first set up the TV I adjusted the picture size by changing the aspect ratio. Now, the aspect ratio settings are not available in the menu. That setting has basically disappeared.

These issues all started about a month ago. I believe at that time the TV went thru an automatic software update. When I checked, there are currently no new updates available.

The unit is about 3 years old. Once set up in the first place, it has worked fine all along. Is there a fundamental problem with the circuits or software? I wonder if I should buy a new TV!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2024, 09:32 AM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
My suggestion is……. Buy a new tv. Doesn’t sound like it’s worth fixing.

Old 03-07-2024, 10:04 AM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Yeah that's a 5 year old TV. I'd just eat the $125 it would cost to replace it and upgrade to a larger TV.

Old 03-07-2024, 10:57 AM

The space won't allow a new TV. Would replacing it in like kind be foolish? Is Vizio junk?

Is a Roku a better format?

Old 03-07-2024, 11:03 AM

1,097 posts, read 641,748 times
I would try a factory reset before buying a new one. The inexpensive Vizio TV's have a great picture for the price but the software...not so much.

Old 03-07-2024, 11:44 AM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsmJim View Post
Is a Roku a better format?

I agree with the factory reset idea above, but honestly I do love my Roku TV. But, we have 4 other Roku devices, and a Roku account already.

You might do better with an Amazon Fire TV. We can get all the paid streaming from that TV.

Old 03-07-2024, 01:57 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Vizio IS junk, though. They used to be decent but haven't been in years. Yea, try a reset, and if that fails, get an LG if you can spend a bit more or get a TCL Roku TV if you want cheap but good.

Old 03-07-2024, 02:14 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsmJim View Post
Vizio flat screen model D32F-G4.

Every few days the screen will "lock up". The remote doesn't work, nor do the buttons on the back of the TV. In other words, it is stuck on whatever screen was being watched. The only way to turn the TV off is to pull the AC plug out of the wall, wait a few seconds and then plug it back in.

The second "issue" is that the picture size is only a fraction of the full screen when viewing TV on the "antenna" input. When I first set up the TV I adjusted the picture size by changing the aspect ratio. Now, the aspect ratio settings are not available in the menu. That setting has basically disappeared.

These issues all started about a month ago. I believe at that time the TV went thru an automatic software update. When I checked, there are currently no new updates available.

The unit is about 3 years old. Once set up in the first place, it has worked fine all along. Is there a fundamental problem with the circuits or software? I wonder if I should buy a new TV!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

https://www.target.com/p/vizio-d-ser...be72123bb4de62

Buy a new one for $149

Old 03-07-2024, 03:12 PM

I'm not looking for cheap, but I do want good. Because of the shelf mount I have, and how the unit is bolted to it, an exact replacement would be somewhat an advantage because I would not have to make new brackets. Regardless, I don't want another Visio if it truly is junk. Target is where I bought it i the first place.

Old 03-07-2024, 05:58 PM

How's a TCL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics