Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 08:37 PM

10,833 posts, read 4,513,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsmJim View Post
Vizio flat screen model D32F-G4.

Every few days the screen will "lock up". The remote doesn't work, nor do the buttons on the back of the TV. In other words, it is stuck on whatever screen was being watched. The only way to turn the TV off is to pull the AC plug out of the wall, wait a few seconds and then plug it back in.

The second "issue" is that the picture size is only a fraction of the full screen when viewing TV on the "antenna" input. When I first set up the TV I adjusted the picture size by changing the aspect ratio. Now, the aspect ratio settings are not available in the menu. That setting has basically disappeared.

These issues all started about a month ago. I believe at that time the TV went thru an automatic software update. When I checked, there are currently no new updates available.

The unit is about 3 years old. Once set up in the first place, it has worked fine all along. Is there a fundamental problem with the circuits or software? I wonder if I should buy a new TV!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

got the same one and it does the same crap and we made it better by buying a $10 roku on sale and gluing it to the tv, using the HDMI and USB ports so it turns on same remote. IF we dug into it with a soldering pencil we might find the problem in this one are the control chips and interfacing with the apps. Got the same size tv, a few months later for another room and its night/day.

I wont toss away what was good money at 200 bux, but if it stops working tonight, few tears shed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2024, 07:01 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
How's a TCL?

They have good reviews when I look online.

Old 03-08-2024, 09:27 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
TCL is the best of the cheap TV's.

Old 03-08-2024, 03:17 PM

16 posts, read 9,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
They have good reviews when I look online.
Their reviews are almost exactly the same as the Vizio reviews.

How about a Samsung? It's not as "cheap" as some of the others.

Old 03-09-2024, 04:14 PM

110 posts, read 57,327 times
Quote:
The space won't allow a new TV. Would replacing it in like kind be foolish? Is Vizio junk?
How close would you need to be for a new TV to fit?
Here's a comparison of the specs for your Vizio vs a Samsung that best Buy has listed:
https://cdn.vizio.com/manuals/kb/d32fg4manual.pdf
Existing Vizio (without stand): 28.74" x 16.99" x 3.28"
(with stand): 28.74" x 19.04" x 7.83"

Best Buy - Samsung 32" Class Q60C QLED 4K UHD Smart Tizen TV ( https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=6537415 )
Samsung (without stand): 28.6" x 16.8" x 1.2"
(with stand): 28.6" x 18.8" x 6.1"

It appears that the Samsung, while not as inexpensive as the Vizio, is extremely close in size - actually a touch smaller in overall size.

Old 03-09-2024, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
How close would you need to be for a new TV to fit?
Here's a comparison of the specs for your Vizio vs a Samsung that best Buy has listed:
https://cdn.vizio.com/manuals/kb/d32fg4manual.pdf
Existing Vizio (without stand): 28.74" x 16.99" x 3.28"
(with stand): 28.74" x 19.04" x 7.83"

Best Buy - Samsung 32" Class Q60C QLED 4K UHD Smart Tizen TV ( https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=6537415 )
Samsung (without stand): 28.6" x 16.8" x 1.2"
(with stand): 28.6" x 18.8" x 6.1"

It appears that the Samsung, while not as inexpensive as the Vizio, is extremely close in size - actually a touch smaller in overall size.
Any 32" will fit. My comment about not fitting was directed at a post that suggested I buy a bigger one.

I'm not looking for cheap. Price is not an issue, but of course I'm not going to spend $1000.

I asked about a Samsung because I've had good experience with Samsung phones.

TCL was suggested, but their reviews are no better than Vizio. Many of the products have issues similar to my issue.

I admit, this is all very upsetting. I bought my first color TV in about 1976 an still have it in the den. I have never thrown a TV out because it had problems. My first flat screen (not smart) is 20+ years old and still works perfect.

Soooo, finally, Samsung, TCL, Highsense, LG, et all. Which would y'all suggest to have the least problems?

Old 03-10-2024, 07:18 AM

1,097 posts, read 642,625 times
Quote:
Soooo, finally, Samsung, TCL, Highsense, LG, et all. Which would y'all suggest to have the least problems?
In the 32-inch class, most if not all TVs will be in their entry-level line. Entry-level TVs have gotten so cheap that you can buy a 75-inch major-brand TV for $500 (for comparison's sake, that was equivalent to $100 in purchasing power in the early 1970s). These TVs are made to be inexpensive, not long-lasting. If longevity is your only criteria, conventional wisdom says that the big three (LG, Samsung and Sony) would give you the best longevity odds, but who knows really?

Last edited by akrausz; 03-10-2024 at 08:00 AM..

Old 03-10-2024, 03:14 PM

Thanks to all for the comments. Just came back from the store with a Samsung. The picture quality was awesome and I liked the overall dimensions and stand.

We'll see how it goes.

If I have issues, I'll be back to update. No update means it works OK. If not, hopefully I won't have to come back for many years.

Old 03-10-2024, 07:35 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
Both TVs in our house are Vizio and we've never had a problem with them. Oldest one is 5 or 6 years old. Next time we need a new TV, we'll stick with a Vizio.

[quote=clevergirl67;66504455You might do better with an Amazon Fire TV. We can get all the paid streaming from that TV.[/QUOTE]
My step daughter and her husband always said Amazon was better than roku. Then his dad bought a roku stick and asked him to help set it up. He said as soon as he saw how many more channels you could get on roku than Amazon, he stopped at Walmart and bought one for each of their TVs.

Old 03-11-2024, 08:13 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
LG, Sony and Samsung make the best TV's. Period.
I my opinion, in that order, but others will disagree. lol

Vizio is crap and doesn't care about TV's very much, just data mining what you watch. This is why Walmart is buying them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics