Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 03:57 PM

10 posts, read 68,072 times

Advertisements

Hi, we currently have our home with 10 ac. up for sale here in NV> We are planning to move to the Cookeville area. Is there a kind soul who could give me some hands on help with what to expect? I've been searching for homes to get an idea of what's available. We are retired, were full time RVers for 15 years, so do not have a hard time meeting people. I'd like to get into volunteer work, hubby will stay home and play on computer. We'd like to settle fairly close to shopping, are there areas we should steer away from?

Any advice is welcome. We'll be moving in our motorhome so will need a place to stay (rv park) while looking for a home, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. Hugs Pat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 05:46 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphouser View Post
Hi, we currently have our home with 10 ac. up for sale here in NV> We are planning to move to the Cookeville area. Is there a kind soul who could give me some hands on help with what to expect? I've been searching for homes to get an idea of what's available. We are retired, were full time RVers for 15 years, so do not have a hard time meeting people. I'd like to get into volunteer work, hubby will stay home and play on computer. We'd like to settle fairly close to shopping, are there areas we should steer away from?

Any advice is welcome. We'll be moving in our motorhome so will need a place to stay (rv park) while looking for a home, any suggestions?

Welcome to Tennessee!

You won't have any problems at all finding volunteer work in the Cookeville area. The Sunday paper has an entire page of listings for organizations and groups in town who need volunteers. Here's what they listed this past week (headlines only):
Adult Education
AFFIRM (Augmenting Family Functioning by In-home Respite Management)
Afghanistan Refugee Emergency Relief
Animal Abuse
Animal Shelter
AARF (re-home of homeless animals)
ASSE (high school student exchange)
Blood Assurance
CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates - for Hispanics)
Cemeteries
CHS (Cookeville High School)
Crime Stoppers
Clean Commission
Dismas House
Domestic Abuse
Foster Parents
Habitat for Humanity
Halfway House
Healthy Start
HELP (Helping the Elderly Live Productively)
Helping Hands
Hospice - Lazarus House
Knitters
Pregnancy
Project Help
Rescue Mission
Salvation Army
Senior Center Thrift Store
Shrine Club
Stephens Center (home-visiting for new parents)
UNICEF
Upper Cumberland Blanket Drive
United Mountain Defense

As far as what areas to stay away from, Cookeville doesn't really have any "bad" neighborhoods. You'll probably want to stay away from the neighborhoods just north of the university unless you just want to live around a bunch of college students. But since Tennessee Tech is far from a "party" school it's still fairly quiet.

I don't know of any RV parks right around Cookeville, but Standing Stone State Park is about 15 miles north of town and can accommodate up to 45-foot RVs.
TN State Parks: Standing Stone State Park

Good luck!

Old 03-18-2008, 05:52 PM

5 posts, read 18,882 times
Edgar Evans is a nice park too...it's probably 15-20 miles also, but to the southwest.

Looks like JMT pretty well covered the volunteering part of your question. Hope to welcome you to town soon!

Moderator cut: cut signature

Last edited by Beretta; 03-18-2008 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: signatures/advertising are not allowed per TOS

Old 03-18-2008, 06:44 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,510,696 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...ookeville.html

Old 03-27-2008, 08:31 AM

Thank you so much about the info on vol. and where not to live. We can't wait to sell and hit the road. I noticed the state park is only open during the day time so staying there is not available, but I'm sure we'll find something when we get there.

I've found several homes we are very interested in via internet, but hope something similar will be available when we arrive. Cookeville here I come. Hugs Pat

Old 03-27-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Thank you so much about the info on vol. and where not to live. We can't wait to sell and hit the road. I noticed the state park is only open during the day time so staying there is not available, but I'm sure we'll find something when we get there.

I've found several homes we are very interested in via internet, but hope something similar will be available when we arrive. Cookeville here I come. Hugs Pat
The picnic areas of the state parks are open only during the day, but obviously the camping areas are open overnight. So that's still a nice and inexpensive (and beautiful) option for you.

Good luck!!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:28 AM

1,323 posts, read 4,699,470 times
Quote:

Hi Pat,

Have you visited Cookeville before? My wife and I visited the Cookeville/Crossville areas last August. We liked the area very much and purchased property while we were there. Cookeville is a small city of about 30,000 people and offers all of the goods and services you will ever need. If you need the name of a real estate agent who can help, send me a private message and I'll provide that information for you.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:46 AM

87 posts, read 255,507 times
Standing Stone State Park is a wonderful place to stay. Water & Electric only tho so you'll have to use the dump station if you're parked for a while. Be sure to come in from the north thru Livingston--any vehicles over 24 feet can't get there from 136. Edgar Evins is also a beautiful park but the campground is quite different. I'd check out the State park website for more info before making any decisions.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:09 AM

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and help. So far real estate here is not moving. We've lowered our price by $200K from last year, but no lookers yet. I've just turned it over to God to move us when he feels it is time. We've had yard sales to unload all we can, I look at the real estate available in the Cookeville and surrounding area, and want to go so bad NOW!!! I look so forward to being a southern gal again.
Hugs Pat

Old 04-11-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and help. So far real estate here is not moving. We've lowered our price by $200K from last year, but no lookers yet. I've just turned it over to God to move us when he feels it is time. We've had yard sales to unload all we can, I look at the real estate available in the Cookeville and surrounding area, and want to go so bad NOW!!! I look so forward to being a southern gal again.
Hugs Pat
Holy cow, you lowered your price by $200k and still don't have any lookers? I am sooo sorry. Hearing stories like yours just makes me angry that good people like you are being hurt by the housing snap.

Best of luck to you as you try to sell your home and move to Tennessee. A lot of people are praying for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville