Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2023, 09:55 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times

Advertisements

Shan Stout of the Cookeville Visitors’ Bureau was on 94.1 this morning discussing the unexpected growth in tourism in the Cookeville area over the last couple of years. Sports tourism is about half of the tourism growth, from crossfit to regional, national, and even international sports tournaments. But in the last couple of years the growth in visitors from the Memphis area has grown exponentially. Thanks to modern technology, the visitors' bureau is able to track via cell phones where people go, and visitors from West Tennesssee are spending 4-10 days in the area instead of going to Gatlinburg. The visitors' bureau also tracks comments on websites like Yelp, and a common review is that Cookeville is a "low-key Gatlinburg" with a wonderful, well kept and walkable downtown filled with great restaurants (not chains) and shops, and the region has scads of waterfalls, rivers, and lakes to explore.

She also said that there has been a noticeable and surprising rise in international tourism. The recent international anglers competition had teams from 12 countries, most of whom arrived a couple of weeks early to scout out Center Hill Lake for the best fishing holes. The team from Romania, in particular, was ecstatic to be here and wiped out an area grocery store of all their ranch dressing (something they don't have in Romania). But for some reason, Cookeville is seeing a lot of visitors from Ireland, mainly large multi-generational families traveling around the US together and making this area one of their primary stops. The visitors shop downtown has already doubled its sales from last year, and we're only half way through the year.

I have to admit that I'm surprised by this, but then again I'm not. I relocated here from the Knoxville area ten years ago for several reasons, one of which was because there's just as much natural beauty here but without millions of obnoxious tourists. Shan Stout said that another recurring comment that visitors make is how genuinely friendly the people here are towards visitors, and that was my experience, too, before moving here which is another reason I decided to make this my permanent home.

The full interview can be found here:

https://newstalk941.com/local-matter...sitors-bureau/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 07-12-2023 at 08:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2023, 10:58 AM

14 posts, read 11,196 times
Nice. Similar comments to Townsend.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:00 PM

730 posts, read 813,444 times
On this week's Check It Out with Kathryn Wisinger podcast, Kathryn interviews Shan Stout from the visitors bureau who talks more about Cookeville's growing reputation as a cheaper and quieter version of Gatlinburg which, in turn, is luring more and more people to move here. Kathryn Wisinger is the director of the Putnam County Library System and interviews people from all walks every week such as local writers, artists, and business owners.

https://newstalk941.com/check-it-out...au-shan-stout/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville