Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2023, 03:15 PM

33 posts, read 47,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonyrich View Post
We just cut the cord about 10 days ago. There is more free TV available that you could possible watch. It is just a matter of making your mind up that you don't have to have the latest and greatest.
A few things that we have found out---Paramount + is available free because it is part of our Walmart + benefits. We watched Survivor finale last night. Paramount also has the local CBS football games live. We watched our beloved Titans get smeared (again) last weekend.
We have Roku Tvs and use them as streaming devices. We saved over $100 after cutting the Spectrum cord and retaining there internet service. The Roku Channel has many many things to watch. We also use Stirr, Pluto, Vudu, Xumo, PBS, youtube channel (not YoutubeTV) which has a great library, FoxNewsChannel, Haystack, Channel5Nashville, and several others. All of these are FREE.
All this can be done and tried out before you cut the cord. Simply make yourself not watch Twin Lakes or Spectrum for a week and try out streaming. If you don't have a device then buy a cheap roku at walmart.
I have tried all kinds of antennae and they just don't work in Cookeville.
I am sure that I could add more but if you have questions ask them.
Very good to know. . My wife and I have not yet finished moving into our new home but looking into what's available besides Spectrum ( which we heard wasn't that good and expensive with constant hikes in monthly charges.). I'm not very tech savvy but when you say " Roku TV" your referring to the brand or ? Roku on the firestick?
BTW..what does Spectrum internet cost per month? Any other internet providers available in the Cookeville area?

Last edited by Cycle crazy; 12-21-2023 at 03:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2023, 03:52 PM

262 posts, read 522,913 times
Spectrum internet with no bundle is costing about 80/mo. We keep it because we bought their phones and get both phones unlimited for 28/mo as long as we have their internet. Twin lakes offers internet via cable and Verizon and others offer wireless internet (not sure how those work).
There are several manufactures of TVs which include the Roku in their software. You can also buy a stand alone Roku or a Amazon Firestick and maybe others with which do use for streaming. Streaming TV simply means that you are getting your TV signal over the internet and not a dedicated cable w/cablebox.
One other thing I forgot is that you no longer have a DVR for taping programs if you cut the cord. However, you have the ability to watch most everything on demand when you want to. Just requires a change of habit and usage.

Old 12-21-2023, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonyrich View Post
Spectrum internet with no bundle is costing about 80/mo. We keep it because we bought their phones and get both phones unlimited for 28/mo as long as we have their internet. Twin lakes offers internet via cable and Verizon and others offer wireless internet (not sure how those work).
There are several manufactures of TVs which include the Roku in their software. You can also buy a stand alone Roku or a Amazon Firestick and maybe others with which do use for streaming. Streaming TV simply means that you are getting your TV signal over the internet and not a dedicated cable w/cablebox.
One other thing I forgot is that you no longer have a DVR for taping programs if you cut the cord. However, you have the ability to watch most everything on demand when you want to. Just requires a change of habit and usage.
Thankyou for that explanation. We do have Verizon service through Verizon..maybe we can get internet service with them and get a break on monthly cell bills,something to look into

Old 12-22-2023, 03:43 AM

666 posts, read 762,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle crazy View Post
Thankyou for that explanation. We do have Verizon service through Verizon..maybe we can get internet service with them and get a break on monthly cell bills,something to look into
If your looking to cut costs then dumping Verizon is step one, assuming you were talking cell phone service. You can get cell phone service including 5G on the Verizon network for $15/month per phone on Mint and it comes with 5GB data/mo. You can even get renewed flagship unlocked phones dirt cheap if you know where to look, like on Amazon.

For internet content you can get Hulu basic for ~$7/mo which gives you access to the full on-demand hulu library and you can watch many new TV shows the next day. But like others said there is a ton of content for free available. You just need internet service and a streaming device which can be a computer and even a cell phone using Cast if your TV supports it.

Old 12-22-2023, 12:39 PM

Yes,I was referring to Verizon cell service. But what I don't understand is you said I can dump Verizon but I can get cell phone service including 5G on the Verizon network for $15 a month per phone on Mint.
What is Mint ? Isn't the Verizon network the cell service?
As I mentioned I'm not tech savvy, so excuse the questions

Old 12-22-2023, 01:35 PM

303 posts, read 294,611 times
Quote:
Yes,I was referring to Verizon cell service. But what I don't understand is you said I can dump Verizon but I can get cell phone service including 5G on the Verizon network for $15 a month per phone on Mint.

Mint, and many others, provide whatever they provide (which I don't think is much, hence the low monthly rate), but they are buying the usage on whatever network they are advertising. And for much cheaper. I've been a Verizon customer for 20+ years and pay more than I care to admit, but the various features I have are worth paying extra for (for my family at least).

Old 12-24-2023, 03:59 AM

666 posts, read 762,136 times
Quote:
I did make a mistake, I said it was on the Verizon network when its actually on the T-Mobile 5G Network.

Mint mobile has various plans including the $15 per month per phone where you get unlimited talk and text with 5GB data per month. To get the $15 per month you have to pay annually which is not a problem for me. I get great 5G service in Cookeville. It supports Wi-fi Calling which I use at the house since I don't get a good cell signal where I live but I had the same problem with Verizon. With Wi-fi Calling it uses your home Wi-fi to make/receive call's and text. I get all the typical features like voicemail, free mobile hotspot, free calling to Mexico and Canada, eSIM, etc. Currently they are offering free 3 months of service to try it out.

Old 12-24-2023, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
I did make a mistake, I said it was on the Verizon network when its actually on the T-Mobile 5G Network.

Mint mobile has various plans including the $15 per month per phone where you get unlimited talk and text with 5GB data per month. To get the $15 per month you have to pay annually which is not a problem for me. I get great 5G service in Cookeville. It supports Wi-fi Calling which I use at the house since I don't get a good cell signal where I live but I had the same problem with Verizon. With Wi-fi Calling it uses your home Wi-fi to make/receive call's and text. I get all the typical features like voicemail, free mobile hotspot, free calling to Mexico and Canada, eSIM, etc. Currently they are offering free 3 months of service to try it out.

Never heard of Mint..but now that you cleared it up,I understand now.
Thankyou

Old 12-24-2023, 04:05 PM

262 posts, read 522,913 times
Verizon has an economy brand that most people have never heard of . It is called Visible wireless and I believe it is only available online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville