Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 09:15 AM

33 posts, read 47,722 times

Advertisements

I'm aware of 2 cable companies that offer cable services in and around Cookeville, Spectrum and Twin Lakes. My home seems to be in the area where Spectrum serves but hearing what they charge concerns me. Unfortunately Twin Lakes ( which I've heard is cheaper and better) doesn't serve my area.
Has anyone cut the cable cord and using an outside antenna to pull in free TV from Nashville? If so what antenna are you using and do you get a strong signal picking up area channels? I'm aware of streaming with a fire stick,just curious if outside channels can be pulled in with the antenna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2023, 09:20 AM

162 posts, read 177,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle crazy View Post
I'm aware of 2 cable companies that offer cable services in and around Cookeville, Spectrum and Twin Lakes. My home seems to be in the area where Spectrum serves but hearing what they charge concerns me. Unfortunately Twin Lakes ( which I've heard is cheaper and better) doesn't serve my area.
Has anyone cut the cable cord and using an outside antenna to pull in free TV from Nashville? If so what antenna are you using and do you get a strong signal picking up area channels? I'm aware of streaming with a fire stick, just curious if outside channels can be pulled in with the antenna.
Channels from Nashville are not accessible in Cookeville without a TALL antenna anymore after the switch to digital (all are UHF now). You can only receive the Cookeville PBS station.

If you are up on the mountain in Monterey, then you MIGHT be able to get some since they are about 1000 feet higher than Cookeville.

Last edited by scorpsman; 12-19-2023 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: added clarification

Old 12-19-2023, 09:26 AM

162 posts, read 177,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpsman View Post
Channels from Nashville are not accessible in Cookeville without a TALL antenna anymore after the switch to digital. You can only receive the Cookeville PBS station.

If you are up on the mountain in Monterey, then you MIGHT be able to get some since they are about 1000 feet higher than Cookeville.
Antennaweb shows 3 stations (PBS, Telemundo, and an independent).

Old 12-19-2023, 09:57 AM

666 posts, read 761,870 times
You should call Twinlakes and ask. My street has both Twinlakes and Spectrum. Twinlakes is the better option if you have a choice.

Old 12-19-2023, 12:43 PM

33 posts, read 47,722 times
Thankyou for the response. I did call Twin Lakes and unfortunately they are not serving my area as yet. My fingers are crossed.
For the people who have Spectrum are you using a firestick to stream other shows,news,etc?

Old 12-19-2023, 01:22 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,606,232 times
Roku tvs and devices work well for us; once had an Amazon Firestick...good platform as well.

Old 12-19-2023, 07:10 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
I'm not in Tennessee but Spectrum treat people in all states the same...dirty. Know of more than one family who dropped Spectrum cable, but kept the internet to use their roku. Don't remember how much, but the Spectrum internet rate went way up for both of them.
If you find an internet service you can use, check out ATTTV. They use DirectTv live feed and we love it! We dropped Spectrum completely, got our internet from our town's electric company and between that and going with ATTTV we're saving around $70/month.

Old 12-20-2023, 03:38 AM

666 posts, read 761,870 times
When I first cut the cable I used Roku's and Hulu plus and all the other free content available but Hulu with live TV kept jacking up the price so I cut Hulu.

Then I bought some cheap but powerful refurbished business sff computers capable of providing 4K and use them as multimedia devices. Works good and low cost.

Last edited by Jumeby; 12-20-2023 at 03:46 AM..

Old 12-21-2023, 02:34 PM

262 posts, read 522,826 times
We just cut the cord about 10 days ago. There is more free TV available that you could possible watch. It is just a matter of making your mind up that you don't have to have the latest and greatest.
A few things that we have found out---Paramount + is available free because it is part of our Walmart + benefits. We watched Survivor finale last night. Paramount also has the local CBS football games live. We watched our beloved Titans get smeared (again) last weekend.
We have Roku Tvs and use them as streaming devices. We saved over $100 after cutting the Spectrum cord and retaining there internet service. The Roku Channel has many many things to watch. We also use Stirr, Pluto, Vudu, Xumo, PBS, youtube channel (not YoutubeTV) which has a great library, FoxNewsChannel, Haystack, Channel5Nashville, and several others. All of these are FREE.
All this can be done and tried out before you cut the cord. Simply make yourself not watch Twin Lakes or Spectrum for a week and try out streaming. If you don't have a device then buy a cheap roku at walmart.
I have tried all kinds of antennae and they just don't work in Cookeville.
I am sure that I could add more but if you have questions ask them.

Old 12-21-2023, 03:10 PM

303 posts, read 294,500 times
I just cut Dish Network a couple months ago and went with YouTube TV. I've been extremely happy so far. I still have Spectrum internet for $84.99 a month, unfortunately. Twin Lakes is targeting having fiber installed on the north side of Hwy 111 in Algood city limits by 1Q 2025. I don't think you'll find that on their website, but I made a comment on one of their Facebook ads a month or so ago and got a private message from them with the target date. I'll be dumping Spectrum as soon as I can. I used to pay $54.99 about 6 years ago for comparison purposes. I get inflation for part of those years hasn't been great but a 50% increase in my cost over that same span is ridiculous. The one time I tried to ask for a better rate, they flat out refused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville