Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 09:47 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,994,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
Do you mean the old water slide off of SPID?

that was at nile rd & SPID, popular in the late 70s, early 80s. I think that it was roughly betw the whataburger and the cinema 16.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 11:29 PM

808 posts, read 3,646,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
that was at nile rd & SPID, popular in the late 70s, early 80s. I think that it was roughly betw the whataburger and the cinema 16.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Google Maps has a great satellite image of that property.

Corpus Christi, TX - Google Maps

Looks to me like the little hill for the slide was right where the theater is now. Otherwise that vacant lot would have a hill...if I've been told correctly.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Google Maps has a great satellite image of that property.

Corpus Christi, TX - Google Maps

Looks to me like the little hill for the slide was right where the theater is now. Otherwise that vacant lot would have a hill...if I've been told correctly.
No. I don't think so. The "park" wasn't that far from nile rd. you had to drive just a little from nile rd to get to it. It really wasn't there for very long that I remember. Rumor was that somebody got hurt on the slide and ruined it for everyone else. my classmates' brother worked there, must have been like 1979 or so. there was no taco bell or whataburger or cinema 16 there, just an empty field. after the park disappeared, I think that they put in a driving range (golf).

Old 03-15-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
No. I don't think so. The "park" wasn't that far from nile rd. you had to drive just a little from nile rd to get to it. It really wasn't there for very long that I remember. Rumor was that somebody got hurt on the slide and ruined it for everyone else. my classmates' brother worked there, must have been like 1979 or so. there was no taco bell or whataburger or cinema 16 there, just an empty field. after the park disappeared, I think that they put in a driving range (golf).
Yeah, I think you are right about the driving range.

I've got one for you guys...the Chevrolet dealership off of Leopard just outside of downtown.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I think you are right about the driving range.

I've got one for you guys...the Chevrolet dealership off of Leopard just outside of downtown.

that was Gainan's Chevrolet. Sue Gainan was my student teacher back in the 2nd grade at Montclair elementary.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
that was Gainan's Chevrolet. Sue Gainan was my student teacher back in the 2nd grade at Montclair elementary.
Yeah, that was the name. I think it's the Corpus Christi Electric Company now. Was it anything between the time that it was Gainan's and CCEC? I can't remember.

Was there ever a Mrs. Baird's bakery in CC? I seem to remember one near I-37 at least 15 years ago.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that was the name. I think it's the Corpus Christi Electric Company now. Was it anything between the time that it was Gainan's and CCEC? I can't remember.

Was there ever a Mrs. Baird's bakery in CC? I seem to remember one near I-37 at least 15 years ago.
The only bakery that I remember was the Butter Krust bakery on Ayers St near 6 points. They gave tours of the bakery to grade school kids and gave samples after the tour. You would always smell the fresh bread as you drove by the place. I can't remember a Mrs Bairds bakery.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:31 AM

I must have been thinking of the Butter Krust bakery. Thanks!

Old 03-15-2009, 11:26 AM

404 posts, read 1,244,832 times
Quote:
Somebody started a thread like this on the San Antonio board. Now that Corpus has its own, maybe some of you would like to contribute to this thread. Does anybody remember the old Buccaneer Bowl that was where the HEB on Robert St & Alameda is now? How about the Taco Bell on Alameda with the bonfire in front of it? I remember that the bonfire was put out when the Energy Crisis hit about 1973 or 1974. The opening of Padre Staples Mall and all of the sounds of ka-nockers when you walked through the Mall? If anyone has any pictures of old landmarks or events, that would be great.
I sure remember Buccaneer Bowl with that little game arcade - I think those permanent indentations on the side of my hip are from trying to wield the pinball machines to my advantage. I'm thinking there was also one on Ayers St., along with a Pics drive-in.

Lived in a rambling old 2-story house (not one of the mansions) where Ocean Drive meets S. Alameda and (I think) Ennis Joslin. When I went back, it had been razed. I loved it though - the Corpus Christi winds would come howling through and the whole house would shake. Had a large tree outside my upstairs window and I could just slide right down and sneak out for awhile - never did get caught. It seemed so safe back then - I could ride my bike out around in the middle of the night and never had a problem. Also lived in Six Points for awhile and liked that, too, but my favorite was the area around Santa Fe. I thought Amistadt (sp?) St. was so pretty.

I'm wondering if Nolan's is still around, and I used to have breakfast at the Town & Country center. Also, the Golden Dome and Jr's Hotdogs on S. Padre Island Dr. and Piccadilly cafeteria in Parkdale Plaza. I worked briefly at the Beach Club on Ocean Dr. but was only 14 and had no idea what I was doing.

I would love to see pictures of that era too.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanon View Post
I sure remember Buccaneer Bowl with that little game arcade - I think those permanent indentations on the side of my hip are from trying to wield the pinball machines to my advantage. I'm thinking there was also one on Ayers St., along with a Pics drive-in.

Lived in a rambling old 2-story house (not one of the mansions) where Ocean Drive meets S. Alameda and (I think) Ennis Joslin. When I went back, it had been razed. I loved it though - the Corpus Christi winds would come howling through and the whole house would shake. Had a large tree outside my upstairs window and I could just slide right down and sneak out for awhile - never did get caught. It seemed so safe back then - I could ride my bike out around in the middle of the night and never had a problem. Also lived in Six Points for awhile and liked that, too, but my favorite was the area around Santa Fe. I thought Amistadt (sp?) St. was so pretty.

I'm wondering if Nolan's is still around, and I used to have breakfast at the Town & Country center. Also, the Golden Dome and Jr's Hotdogs on S. Padre Island Dr. and Piccadilly cafeteria in Parkdale Plaza. I worked briefly at the Beach Club on Ocean Dr. but was only 14 and had no idea what I was doing.

I would love to see pictures of that era too.
how long ago did you live in corpus? i remember that a few new homes went up in that intersection (ennis joslin & alameda) in the late 70s. i don't know if they are still there or not. The area around sta fe is still the prettiest in my opinion. the nolan's restaurants that you knew have been sold. however, there is a nolan's po' boy on airline. my mom told me that the culps are still running it. i've never heard of the golden dome or jr's hot dogs to be honest with you. Man, but do I miss the Piccadilly! That was delicious food. It also disappeared in the early 1980s, although I don't remember which year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi