Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 09:53 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,671 times

Advertisements

This has been interesting to read -- I'm sure glad I'm not looking for a man to bring me a burrito...pretty harsh criticism of women who have done nothing to you Ocean2026 (unless perhaps they turned you down)!
I am actually thinking about relocating to Corpus from Dallas in a couple of years. I have always wanted to live on the California coast, but reality prevails and I'd rather be able to afford visiting that and other areas as I travel instead of barely being able to afford living there. I spent a couple of weeks in a beach-front condo on Padre Island several years and and really enjoyed the scenery. I'm not interested in bars and clubs, but I would like to know there are other active, interesting people in my age group (45+) that I would be able to interact with. The water down there is quite lovely much of the time -- the only thing that I would need to do if I lived there would be to get out of town in August and go somewhere cooler for the hottest part of the year.
Can anyone comment on best and worst areas to buy a home in Corpus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 09:56 PM

136 posts, read 336,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
This has been interesting to read -- I'm sure glad I'm not looking for a man to bring me a burrito...pretty harsh criticism of women who have done nothing to you Ocean2026 (unless perhaps they turned you down)!
I am actually thinking about relocating to Corpus from Dallas in a couple of years. I have always wanted to live on the California coast, but reality prevails and I'd rather be able to afford visiting that and other areas as I travel instead of barely being able to afford living there. I spent a couple of weeks in a beach-front condo on Padre Island several years and and really enjoyed the scenery. I'm not interested in bars and clubs, but I would like to know there are other active, interesting people in my age group (45+) that I would be able to interact with. The water down there is quite lovely much of the time -- the only thing that I would need to do if I lived there would be to get out of town in August and go somewhere cooler for the hottest part of the year.
Outlying areas... Portland, Calallen, Rockport if you can manage the drive.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no cigar View Post
Outlying areas... Portland, Calallen, Rockport if you can manage the drive.
Thank you so much -- I'll check out those areas on the map and on Realtor.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:13 AM
SOM

124 posts, read 481,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
Be sure to give CC proper a good viewing as well. I'm a big fan of the area between Alameda and Ocean Drive....close to the Bay (so you see the water on a daily basis, and that's why you would want to live in CC, right?), mature neighborhoods with trees, interesting homes, close to everything (not just the bay!), and almost no traffic.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:56 AM

136 posts, read 336,764 times
You have to be cautious about where you move in around that area. Yeah, the proximity to Ocean is great but there is a fair share of ghetto in that little slice as well.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:27 PM
SOM

124 posts, read 481,015 times
Sure, there are some less than desirable neighborhoods, but there are some very, very nice neighborhoods (Lamar Park, Del Mar, etc.). It is by far my favorite part of CC. And the outlying areas have their share of ghetto as well!

Old 12-17-2009, 09:52 PM

Yes, that's one of the attractions -- being able to see water every day...I'll check out those neighborhoods -- my son told me there were some neighborhoods in that area that have a lot of charming older homes and cottages...

Guess a trip to CC is in my near future! Thanks so much for all the great information in this thread.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:13 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,988 times
Magnolia I was just entertaining myself - no they have done nothing to me - I'm against obesity in men too as it adds billions to our health care bills and taxes- just like smoking cigarettes. They also block the scenary and use their bodies to prevent me from reaching my most favorite Golden Corral dishes.

Rockport has more males than females in the older age group as they come here for boating fishing etc - mostly male attractions. Many actually have jobs or income. The Rio Grande Valley would be the opposite - many more women.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:24 AM

7 posts, read 28,163 times
My husband has his heart set on moving to CC, don't know why but we have to move so...

My question tho is about employment - my husband is a blue collar worker (floor care mostly) and will need to find a job. How is it there really? He currently works 50 hours a week (6 nights) for about min wage. Which sucks.

Also how are the schools? I'll have one in HS, one in JrHS.

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2010, 10:05 AM

162 posts, read 705,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csofficer View Post
My husband has his heart set on moving to CC, don't know why but we have to move so...

My question tho is about employment - my husband is a blue collar worker (floor care mostly) and will need to find a job. How is it there really? He currently works 50 hours a week (6 nights) for about min wage. Which sucks.

Also how are the schools? I'll have one in HS, one in JrHS.

Thanks!
You don't know why? I'd be pressing for some answers! No way would I move without knowing some motives behind it all -- it's a very big decision!

Can't answer the employment question. It really just depends, but I definitely wouldn't move before finding a permanent job. Try the caller.com if you haven't already and see what's currently available.

Schools are just like any other city -- some are good, others are bad. Check out this link, click on Corpus Christi and it'll show their ratings Texas School Performance Maps Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi