Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 10:52 AM

190 posts, read 465,661 times

Advertisements

So I went down to Texas for 10 days a few weeks ago to check out a few cities that I might possibly relocate to. We spent time mainly in Austin San Antonio and Corpus Christi. Of the three areas the only place I really liked was Corpus Christi. I thought San Antonio had a lot of nice areas but was just a little too big for my taste. I'm sure Austin had its good areas but we couldn’t find them and the down town area reminded me of the northwest as the place was crawling with hipsters. There was a coffee house on every corner with people sitting around doing nothing. It was almost as if I never left Portland except for it wasn’t raining.
Corpus Christi was really nice but I love the ocean so im probably biased. We explored and found some really bad areas and some really nice areas just like most places. The weather was already a little sticky at 82 degrees one of the days but the fact I could walk around outside with a t shirt and shorts at 2 in the morning in November was a fair trade. I went swimming and fishing out at Bob Hall pier and caught one fish after another all day which was crazy to me because you haven't been able to catch fish off a pier like that on the west coast since I was a kid. I could only imagine what I would catch on a boat. Overall I'm seriously considering relocating to this city but these are my main concerns.

How bad are the tropical storms? How does it affect daily living during the hurricane season?

I would imagine summer sucks in corpus because of the heat just like Arizona, Florida or any other place with nice weather in the winter but how many months a year is the weather miserable due to heat an humidity.

What’s the dating seen like? Are there any decent looking women in chorpus because if there are we didn’t see them? I found it rather strange that a place with nice sunny weather and palm trees everywhere had so many overweight and just down right unattractive people. if I where married I wouldn’t care but since I just got out of a relationship the dating seen is going to be important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 11:34 AM

244 posts, read 803,851 times
There are attractive women in CC, you just have to go to the right places. Not sure what type of scene you're into but you'll find them at nicer bars like Havana Club, 21, Cassidy's, Bombay, D' Lounge, Aria and some others. Also depends on the age group you're looking for. Surf Club, Mulligan's, Dr. Rockits are just a few more casual, laid back bars that attract younger (college age and young professionals) every night of the week.

If you're not into the bar scene I suggest you join some volunteer organizations. You'll meet some great, positive people to hang around.

There's plenty to do in CC. I think you'd be happy with your choice if you moved here. It's improved just in the last 5 years in regards to entertainment. Great place to invest in real estate as well and hurricane season isn't as much of a hassle as some people think.

Austin and SA are great, but they are more fun to visit for a weekend and are within a short driving distance from CC. It's always nice to come back to CC where the people seem a little more real and genuine and everything is just laid-back. Hope this helps a little.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:54 AM

484 posts, read 1,631,217 times
Mikey,

I'm glad you found our little city appealing, we do try hard to please.

To answer your questions;

Yes; the fishing is generally pretty good here. Better in the summertime than in the winter. Once the spring winds lay down you couldn't ask for much better. And, yes, having a boat does make a difference. Mine is an older 18 ft Majak Redfish Line, perfect for fishing the flats in Laguna Madre; it'll run flat out in less than 8 inches of water.

Tropical storms: We do have the occasional scare, but most of us are prepared with enough plywood to board up the house and evacuate if it looks really bad. I would only consider leaving if it were a cat 3 hurricane or bigger. I have a 10kw emergency generator in the garage just in case power is out for an extended period of time, (you need to keep the fridge and A/C running here). The CC water department also has emergency gen-sets so we will not be without fresh water if all else goes belly-up.

Regards good looking women: Well, that would depend on your personal taste. However, I'd say most of the really good ones are already taken. Once you get past a certain age, the available singles dating pool, (both men and women) are rejects from a previous encounter. Although, I was driving around in Flourbluff the other day and saw a young woman so beautiful she took my breath away, almost drove the car into the nearest palm tree, my wife had to do CPR to get me back on track. And,,, several older men I know have imported some beauties from outside the USA, from Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, and even as far away as the Former Soviet Union. Just how hungry are you?

We are a great little city, thanks for looking us over.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 6,396 times
Mikey,

I wish I could agree with the others on Corpus Christi, but in my 3 years here I have grown to dislike it and actually joined this site to find out about other parts of the country.

The truth about Corpus is it is a very small minded city, from the city leadership to the community.

Good restaurants are few and far between, and unless you live to have taquitos you are going to be disappointed. Seafood is good where you can get it and there are a few good burger places. Downtown is a little different, but has a long way to go.

The best parts of Corpus Christi are the beaches, the Corpus Christi Hooks baseball team. (Incredible ballpark...if not for the Hooks we would have been out of here sooner) Aria is a big city class club, no complaints there.

I came here single and ended up married within a year. She is not a Corpus girl and both of us have lived in several parts of the country and neither of us are happy here. The club scene three years ago was pretty bad, but I have been out of it a few years now, so can't help you there.

The weight issue you mentioned is rampant here. Incredibly high rate of type II diabetes, and obesity, so that should give you a clue into the dating scene...

Having grown up in Texas, I can say Austin is a misplaced Seattle or Portland, Houston is just too big and Dallas is a cool place to be in your 20's-30's, but if I was moving to Texas it would be Ft Worth.

Great downtown that is lively and a wonderful place to live, incredible arts district, and no lack of beautiful single girls...

On the plus side, people are friendly, traffic is minimal, and the Corpus Christi Hooks are the best bargain in town!

Old 12-03-2009, 11:53 PM

190 posts, read 465,661 times
I've done a ton of research over the last year or so and have gone to visit Texas, Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada as possible areas to relocate. Of those states I liked Texas and Arizona the best.
This is the thing I hate cold weather, traffic, a bad economy and I would like some decent fishing close enough to enjoy after work. What makes Texas more appealing than Arizona is the economy is much stronger, there’s a lot more water to play in and the laws are awesome for what I do.
I'm a total outdoorsman so I could care less about nice restaurants, dance clubs, art coulter or anything like that but I need customers to make a living so a city with a population of at least 200,000 is a must. I used to live in SpokaneWA and I always thought it was a perfect size town. Corpus reminded me of Spokane in that way as its big enough to get anything you need but you don't have to deal with all the BS that comes with living in a big city like traffic, cost of living, parking and so on. after doing some more research on corpus Christi I'm not so worried about the heat or the storms but the dating seen still doesn’t look to hot. I've spent some time browsing on a few online dating sites a have found that there is a unbelievable amount of overweight single moms looking for someone to go to church with and play daddy. which is not a big deal to me but not really what I'm looking for in a relationship.
I guess what it comes down to is no place is perfect.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:48 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,499 times
Corpus has a lot of beautiful college girls from both Del Mar Colege and Texas A&M CC. But once you get older than the age of 25 or so, there aren't very many beautiful women. But I always see girls at the mall, the retail stores, and and bars/clubs. I guess it depends what age group you are looking into.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:00 AM
SOM

124 posts, read 480,988 times
I'm married, so I see unbelievably hot women everywhere I look.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:09 PM

484 posts, read 1,631,217 times
Quote:
I'm married, so I see unbelievably hot women everywhere I look.
Same here. Del Mar is loaded with beautiful girls. The last time I was over to TA&MCC, that campus was also full of eye candy.

While Christmas shopping at Padre Staples Mall yesterday it was hard to avoid being run over by pretty women. Of course, they all were on a mission that didn't involve me.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:56 PM

82 posts, read 221,791 times
You all are too funny! Glad to know there are so many beautiful girls at Del Mar, especially since we're moving to Corpus next week because of my husband's new job at Del Mar. Hahaha. He'll be glad to know the school is innundated with beauty. (grin)

Old 12-10-2009, 06:56 PM

448 posts, read 918,929 times
Posted by- mikey1979; This is the thing I hate cold weather, traffic, a bad economy and I would like some decent fishing close enough to enjoy after work. What makes more appealing than is the economy is much stronger, there’s a lot more water to play in and the laws are awesome for what I do.

Hey guy, have you taken a look at the city of New Braunsfels? Nice German city just outside of SA. NB gets plenty of traffic from Austin and San Antonio, as it sits between both major cities.

New Braunfels, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Btw, unemployment rate is 7.0% in SA, the lowest within the four major cities in Texas. I would highly suggest you doing some more research before making the move to any city. IMO, CC is a good city to visit. But honestly, not much to do after a couple of days.

Texas Economy at a Glance

Good luck on your move!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi