Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 06:00 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,957,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The food was awful - literally, awful. I couldn't even down a piece of grilled chicken in the dining room. The steak was tasteless and fatty too. I found myself eating salad and bread the first few nights (and I'm not too picky when it comes to food - only pizza). We spent an extra $25 pp and dined in the specialty dining room the last 2 nights, which was better. Was that RCCL's intent? Not sure...others on the cruise were complaining as well.

I was really disappointed in RCCL (used to be my favorite line) this past Fall when Irene hit. We were scheduled to leave San Juan on the Serenade but due to Irene hitting PR, the ship left early. No call from the ship, no email. We're lucky we arrived early to the pier and found out about early departure. Unfortunately hundreds of people did not, and were stranded at the pier as the hurricane's outer bands began hitting the island. RCCL did not offer hotels, or to fly them to the next port.
Is Explorer one of the mega-large new ships? I've heard mixed things, mostly negative, about the really big ships. One of the things I heard is that the food isn't as good, probably because it's such a logistical challenge to serve so many people.

I've been on Vision and Brilliance of the Seas, RCCL. I was pretty happy with them. I'm not terribly picky, but I found the food to be fine. I do think they do Italian poorly, but most of the food was pretty good. Those ships are among their older ships and not as big, and I like that.

I'm surprised to hear about there being no notice of the ship leaving early. RCCL was all over me before the last cruise, when a strike in Norway almost led us to have to change itineraries. They called, emailed, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 06:39 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,932,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Is Explorer one of the mega-large new ships? I've heard mixed things, mostly negative, about the really big ships. One of the things I heard is that the food isn't as good, probably because it's such a logistical challenge to serve so many people.

I've been on Vision and Brilliance of the Seas, RCCL. I was pretty happy with them. I'm not terribly picky, but I found the food to be fine. I do think they do Italian poorly, but most of the food was pretty good. Those ships are among their older ships and not as big, and I like that.

I'm surprised to hear about there being no notice of the ship leaving early. RCCL was all over me before the last cruise, when a strike in Norway almost led us to have to change itineraries. They called, emailed, etc.
We cruised on Adventure of the Seas and found the food to be fine. But, like you, we are not very picky. We didn't try any of the specialty restaurants.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:16 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,957,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
We cruised on Adventure of the Seas and found the food to be fine. But, like you, we are not very picky. We didn't try any of the specialty restaurants.
I didn't try the specialty restaurants either. I ate every night in the dining room. I was happy with the food.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:33 PM

21,633 posts, read 31,237,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post

It's one of the big ships, but not the mega-large Oasis class. It's actually about 10 years old.

I've heard the same (big ships = bad food) but in my experience of going on both big and small liners, it's a mixed bag. The Emerald Princess (large) had amazing food while the Norwegian Majesty (small) had terrible food. I went on the Vision class last year (Serenade) and wasn't really impressed with the food. I liked the size of the ship, but wish there were more pools on it. I think certain lines that are geared toward the masses (Carnival, RCCL) have cut back in the dining areas. Princess, same thing - but to a lesser degree. I've heard Celebrity, which markets to a certain type of cruiser, has better food (we'll find out at the end of this year).

RE: no notice - yeah, can you believe that? It even made CNN, and people on CruiseCritic actually defended the cruise line's actions. Made me reconsider cruise lines due to bad PR. Still, given the right itinerary, I'd sail with them again.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:15 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,048,811 times
We've only sailed on two, HAL and Princess. Both on Alaska itineraries. The two ships were HALs Rotterdam and the Sapphire Princess. The Rotterdam was much smaller than Sapphire and it had a higher quality of ship decor and better personnel but it had less things to do on it, too. The food was similar, but I think the HAL food was slightly better. The Princess had much better entertainment.

I don't think the Sapphire was completely booked since school wasn't out for the summer in most places. The crowd was probably a bit older than it would be during high summer months. We never really had long lines for anything although they had just switched over to three shows a night instead of two. Getting off and on the ship was fairly quick and easy, too. Princess has really big ships, but they've got herd moving down to a fine art so we got shuffled around efficiently. I did occasionally feel like mooing though, just to go with the whole cattle effect.

We had traditional seating and went with some friends so if they were snooty we missed it. I think traditional seating might be what keeps waiting times down, too.

The other cruise line we were considering was Celebrity, but I don't know who we will choose next time. Probably based on itinerary as well as who we have with us. If we are cruising with a group of friends, then the amount of entertainment on board the ship isn't as important since it seems most times all we want to do is sit and chat.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:10 AM

167 posts, read 470,292 times
NCL. Food is good and because of airline excess baggage charges we do not have to carry jackets and cocktail dresses on Caribbean cruises.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotwein View Post
NCL. Food is good and because of airline excess baggage charges we do not have to carry jackets and cocktail dresses on Caribbean cruises.
This is such a plus. we are going on a family cruise in Jan and yes, we the anniversary couple choose NCL, partly for that reason. All the lines have gone casual, but not to the extent of NCL. I always have trouble understanding the bad wrap NCL gets. We find them very similar, in many ways to Carnival and RCI. all 3 are considered main marketed lines. All 3 are more alike than different and NCL has the best itineraries we think.

Nita

Old 07-27-2012, 10:05 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,429,576 times
I've only been on the Disney Cruises. But I love it as much as the kids. I enjoy the Disney theatre shows, the elegant evening dining with the Disney characters, the pool and slides over the ocean, the private beach with amazing blue water, the dolphin excursion, the fun rooms for the kids, spas, the adult jazz, comedy and karaoke clubs. I could go on and on. I love the Disney Cruises. I get my money's worth every time.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:25 PM

21,633 posts, read 31,237,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is such a plus. we are going on a family cruise in Jan and yes, we the anniversary couple choose NCL, partly for that reason. All the lines have gone casual, but not to the extent of NCL. I always have trouble understanding the bad wrap NCL gets. We find them very similar, in many ways to Carnival and RCI. all 3 are considered main marketed lines. All 3 are more alike than different and NCL has the best itineraries we think.

Nita
NCL ships just seem a little...tacky?

I much prefer the upscale feel of Princess and Celebrity ships.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:58 AM

40 posts, read 57,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
NCL ships just seem a little...tacky?

I much prefer the upscale feel of Princess and Celebrity ships.

What do you mean by "tacky"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises