Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 08:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
NCL ships just seem a little...tacky?

I much prefer the upscale feel of Princess and Celebrity ships.
just wondering, are you saying the ships are tacky or the clientele? What is tacky and why? I love some things about Princess, but our main objection has been the snobbishness of the passengers, especially on our last cruise, which was a longer one. We have been on 3 Celebrity cruises and they have been mixed, from very nice to not so nice. I will admit, we haven't cruise Celebrity for almost 7 years.

I think NCL has its own personality and it is not for everyone. When I was still an agent, I tried hard to place clients on the right line, some I would never have suggested NCL to, others I would push NCL.

Which NCL ships have you sailed? Never mind, I just re-read your response: it the Majesty is the only NCL ship you have sailed and you haven't tried any of their new ships I can understand why you say what you say. This would be like soneone sailing nothing but RCIs Majesty of the Sea and thinking she represents RCI.
Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 05:33 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,121,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is such a plus. we are going on a family cruise in Jan and yes, we the anniversary couple choose NCL, partly for that reason. All the lines have gone casual, but not to the extent of NCL. I always have trouble understanding the bad wrap NCL gets. We find them very similar, in many ways to Carnival and RCI. all 3 are considered main marketed lines. All 3 are more alike than different and NCL has the best itineraries we think.

Nita

Just from cabin size alone, I'll take Carnival any day. I don't have a problem with inside cabins on any of Carnivals ships. I didn't have a problem with an inside on Royal Caribbean, but DAYUM, those closets on NCL are ridiculous. Also, the concept of letting peo9ple who can't afford it bring as many children for free on the ship and then those same little brats get to go for free on excursions. Well that shuts the door for me on NCL. 8 cruises on Carnival and we're planning 2 more in the next few months.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:00 PM

21,634 posts, read 31,242,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
just wondering, are you saying the ships are tacky or the clientele? What is tacky and why? I love some things about Princess, but our main objection has been the snobbishness of the passengers, especially on our last cruise, which was a longer one. We have been on 3 Celebrity cruises and they have been mixed, from very nice to not so nice. I will admit, we haven't cruise Celebrity for almost 7 years.

I think NCL has its own personality and it is not for everyone. When I was still an agent, I tried hard to place clients on the right line, some I would never have suggested NCL to, others I would push NCL.

Which NCL ships have you sailed? Never mind, I just re-read your response: it the Majesty is the only NCL ship you have sailed and you haven't tried any of their new ships I can understand why you say what you say. This would be like soneone sailing nothing but RCIs Majesty of the Sea and thinking she represents RCI.
Nita
No, not the clientele at all. I haven't found the clientele to be much different between Princess, NCL and Royal Caribbean. Celebrity clientele is a little more upscale though, as are their ships.

I mean the ships. I also sailed the Dawn and the Epic (and the SS Norway, but that was completely different and I wish she were still in service). It felt like I had to wear sunglasses just walking around the ship because the colors were so damned bright! LOL The colors they use, the shapes of public spaces (especially on the Epic), etc just wasn't for me. Carnival is worse though. RCL can clean it up a bit in that department too. Princess ships are all soft colors, lots of marble, lots of glass. It's beautiful.

Also, re: snobbishness on a longer Princess cruise, the longer the cruise the older the clientele, and the more expensive (generally) the fare. Go on a 7 day Caribbean cruise on Princess and you'll find mostly laid back, fun-seeking passengers.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 07-31-2012 at 07:12 PM..

Old 07-31-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Well that shuts the door for me on NCL. 8 cruises on Carnival and we're planning 2 more in the next few months.
See, for me, I can't imagine spending the 3rd or 4th person fare (sometimes as much as $700) for a 2 year old. That is one thing I do appreciate about NCL.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:16 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,121,569 times
That wouldn't be a problem if the num nutz who bring their children FREE also paid attention so I am not dealing with 4 and 5 year olds crawling and screaming under MY table while Mommydearest sits yakking. I pay full fare and it's not to superverise your children. I'm on vacation, too, yanno?!

No, my children wouldn't dare misbehave like that. There's a time and place for junglegym behavior and it's not during mealtime.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
That wouldn't be a problem if the num nutz who bring their children FREE also paid attention so I am not dealing with 4 and 5 year olds crawling and screaming under MY table while Mommydearest sits yakking. I pay full fare and it's not to superverise your children. I'm on vacation, too, yanno?!

No, my children wouldn't dare misbehave like that. There's a time and place for junglegym behavior and it's not during mealtime.
Ugh. Can't you ask to sit at a table with no kids?

Old 08-01-2012, 12:30 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,389,650 times
Cunard, baby, all the way.

They maintain the dignity of an era as it was meant to be. So long, QE2! I've traveled on it out of NY once. A true ocean liner that was also used for cruises. I've seen QM2, but have not yet traveled on her. Someday.

Cunard does not attract the white trash that pulls out of San Pedro (LA) or Lauderdale to Mexico or the Bahamas, respectively, only to get drunk and throw up all over the place.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Cunard does not attract the white trash that pulls out of San Pedro (LA) or Lauderdale to Mexico or the Bahamas, respectively, only to get drunk and throw up all over the place.
I haven't seen that on any cruise line I've been on.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:51 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,389,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I haven't seen that on any cruise line I've been on.
It exists on the short, thus inexpensive, LA to a few ports in Mexico cruises.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:36 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Just from cabin size alone, I'll take Carnival any day. I don't have a problem with inside cabins on any of Carnivals ships. I didn't have a problem with an inside on Royal Caribbean, but DAYUM, those closets on NCL are ridiculous. Also, the concept of letting peo9ple who can't afford it bring as many children for free on the ship and then those same little brats get to go for free on excursions. Well that shuts the door for me on NCL. 8 cruises on Carnival and we're planning 2 more in the next few months.
It totally depends on the ship as much as the line: the 3 smallest cabins we have had: 2 were RCI ships, one inside, one outside: the other small cabin was NCL. We did Princess last fall, inside and it was so small you had to climb over the other person to get into the bed. I agree about Carnival cabins; they are not as large as HAL or Disney but they are larger than the other lines.

Kids do not go free on NCL except for the occassional special and most lines offer that, plus they limit it to 2 kids per cabin; if an extra cabin is needed the kids pay full price, all kids pay the port charges and the taxes plus the tips are the same for kids as for adults: as for free excursions, where in the heck did you get that idea? Kids under 3 often do not have to pay for excurtions or only a small amount which is the same as other lines and private tours, but free excursions, NOT!!!!! You obviously do not like NCL and that is the reason there are so many choices out there, but you also do not have your facts correct which is midleading to others who might be here checking information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises