Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 10:23 PM

9 posts, read 32,565 times

Advertisements

With the latest Carnival problem in St Martin my group has decided not to cruise in 2013. We will spend our vacation money in another way. Do others feel this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 09:56 AM

32,680 posts, read 48,185,877 times
It doesn't bother me.

I don't cruise, but Carnival moves probably hundreds of thousands of passengers every year with very few incidents. The press is doing their sky-is-falling manipulation of the public thing again. The latest incident of generators out happened while the ship was tied up in port and only lasted a couple of hours. The press made it sound like people were in danger for their lives.

The third incident was a ship that had to sail slower than usual. This made the national news, why? Oh yeah. Sensationalism of the press.

Even the bad incident of the ship crippled at sea, the passengers' version sounds like it was a lot less horrible than the press was raving.

I don't cruise because it doesn't appeal to me. But there was a really bad plane crash yesterday, and I am not going to stop flying because that got a lot of coverage on the news.

Carnival cruises are bottom of the line cheap, and sometimes really cheap does not work 100% flawlessly. Occassionally, bargain hunters get a little inconvenience with their savings.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:16 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,111,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It doesn't bother me.

I don't cruise, but Carnival moves probably hundreds of thousands of passengers every year with very few incidents. The press is doing their sky-is-falling manipulation of the public thing again. The latest incident of generators out happened while the ship was tied up in port and only lasted a couple of hours. The press made it sound like people were in danger for their lives.

The third incident was a ship that had to sail slower than usual. This made the national news, why? Oh yeah. Sensationalism of the press.

Even the bad incident of the ship crippled at sea, the passengers' version sounds like it was a lot less horrible than the press was raving.

I don't cruise because it doesn't appeal to me. But there was a really bad plane crash yesterday, and I am not going to stop flying because that got a lot of coverage on the news.

Carnival cruises are bottom of the line cheap, and sometimes really cheap does not work 100% flawlessly. Occassionally, bargain hunters get a little inconvenience with their savings.
congratulations on being able to look through the 5 & 6 o-clock fog of the 30 second sound bite that causes the masses to twitch uncontrollably.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:38 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,105,797 times
I'm not cancelling my upcoming cruise. I'm also not cruising on Carnival or one of their associated lines. You get what you pay for when it comes to cruising.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:09 AM

7 posts, read 18,400 times
Hate cruises. I get sea legs

Old 03-16-2013, 11:16 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,111,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My milkshake View Post
Hate cruises. I get sea legs
you want sea legs when you are gray and underway

Old 03-16-2013, 12:01 PM

7,601 posts, read 6,103,045 times
Naw, I already paid to be on Carnival soon, I have sailed many times and like most people, never had anything less than fun.
Fun on a cruise is what you make it. Those of us who are out to have fun, will, regardless of which line we buy.

I am not really too concerned, at least the ships will be getting a good inspection before we sail off.

Maybe it will cause a bunch of people who have paid to cancel, which will mean more room at the pool and shorter waits at the midnight buffet for the rest of us.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:27 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,965,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwby-rod View Post
With the latest Carnival problem in St Martin my group has decided not to cruise in 2013. We will spend our vacation money in another way. Do others feel this way?
No. Things can happen no matter what you do. The chances of a cruise disaster are very small.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:44 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,493,219 times
It doesn't bother me. Accidents happen every day. You drive your car, walk down the street, get on a bus, train, plane or cruise ship. None of us know what lies ahead. Just because there are car accidents every day, doesn't mean I am never going to drive again. Because a cruise ship has problems doesn't mean I will never cruise again. I just got back last month from a cruise on Carnival, where we stopped and helped the Carnival Triumph. I am getting ready to book my 10th cruise on Carnival, 15 day to Hawaii. No it will never change my mind. I have always been very happy with Carnival.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:05 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,167,101 times
Don't say, "Don't Cruise."
Say, "Don't cruise Carnival."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises