Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 10:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Your challenge was for a river cruise in the same part of the world. There are no river cruises through the Panama Canal, or anywhere near it.
How many times do you intend on ducking the challenge? You know you can't begin to find one that is as inexpensive or even close to what one can get on a mass marketed line, like Celebrity HAL or similar.

I think I can safely add two more things: 1-when you use the net as a TA or check prices, you may not be getting the best rate as agents have promos not listed as well as extra perks they often include. On the other hand, what you see on the net might not truly cover everything. When you go and try and book your reservation you often find costs you didn't consider or the price that is listed as; starting from is all sold out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 11:28 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
How many times do you intend on ducking the challenge? You know you can't begin to find one that is as inexpensive or even close to what one can get on a mass marketed line, like Celebrity HAL or similar.

I think I can safely add two more things: 1-when you use the net as a TA or check prices, you may not be getting the best rate as agents have promos not listed as well as extra perks they often include. On the other hand, what you see on the net might not truly cover everything. When you go and try and book your reservation you often find costs you didn't consider or the price that is listed as; starting from is all sold out.
I agreed to the challenge the way it was originally explained. The terms were completely changed to an impossible comparison.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:11 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Annerk, name an area where these can be compared apples to apples. After all, NO mass market cruise ship can get into the European rivers. How about comparing an Eastern Med cruise to a river cruise in France? Would that be similar parts of the world to you?

Or just show me where ANY river cruise has a price per day that is comparable to price on a mass market cruise costs. Like I said, I've NEVER found one and would love to be proved wrong.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:54 PM

Asia.

Princess, verandah stateroom, 12 days Singapore to Shanghai. $2793 with taxes and port charges. Shore excursions, soft drinks, beer, wine, Internet all at extra charge.

Viking, verandah stateroom, 13 days, Imperial China, $2,892 with taxes and port charges. Shore excursions included. Beer, wine, and soft drinks included. Unlimited Internet included.

Viking air from LAX $897. Princess air from LAX $992.

I hope that helps.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Asia.

Princess, verandah stateroom, 12 days Singapore to Shanghai. $2793 with taxes and port charges. Shore excursions, soft drinks, beer, wine, Internet all at extra charge.

Viking, verandah stateroom, 13 days, Imperial China, $2,892 with taxes and port charges. Shore excursions included. Beer, wine, and soft drinks included. Unlimited Internet included.

I hope that helps.
I think the comparison was Europe and Celebrity. I did the numbers for Sept, now you try. And what dates are we talking about? I did Sept on both. I also believe we were talking specials which is what Celebrity is running right now: it includes UDP or Gratuities and OBC>

Old 07-07-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I think the comparison was Europe and Celebrity. I did the numbers for Sept, now you try. And what dates are we talking about? I did Sept on both. I also believe we were talking specials which is what Celebrity is running right now: it includes UDP or Gratuities and OBC>
The problem with "specials" is that a high tier status cruiser gets a lot of perks. It's not comparing apples with apples. Also apples to apples if you don't compare the pricing on the same day of booking.

Portugal/Europe October 2015.

Viking window stateroom, $3056 (including taxes and fees) 10 days.
Princess window stateroom, $3017 (including taxes and fees) 11 days.

These are without digging for "specials," which both lines offer from time to time. Point is made that river cruising can be very similar in price to mass market cruising.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Asia.

I hope that helps.
Nope, I explained that we typically book inside guarantee on mass market (except when there is a promo that requires a higher level cabin). So the comparison would be cheapest cabin to cheapest cabin on both ships. Also, beer and wine are only included on Viking during lunch and dinner, not all inclusive. And let's not forget the gratuities that need to be paid on Princess and Viking.

Just for kicks, I compared what I could find on Celebrity for Asia, Northbound Asia Alure, Singapore to Hong Kong, 14 Nights. Ocean View cabin including taxes and port charges, $1,499. Includes free gratuities ($30/day for two). Includes free classic alcohol package ($88/day for two). Or you could choose $300 on board credit. Gotta have the verandah? The price increases to $1999. (Likewise, I could do it cheaper with an inside cabin, but give up the promo.) No internet or excursions are included. I've no doubt the airfare is similar to what you found.

Even if one doesn't drink, the promo will cover the gratuities ($420) and $300 OBC towards excursions. If one does drink, or wants a bottle of water, soda, wine, gin and tonic, speciality coffee, etc. outside of lunch and dinner times, that package is going to save a lot of money.

I truly do recognize that river cruising is a DIFFERENT experience. Better in some ways, maybe not in other ways. But it ain't gonna be cheaper.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
The problem with "specials" is that a high tier status cruiser gets a lot of perks. It's not comparing apples with apples. Also apples to apples if you don't compare the pricing on the same day of booking.

Portugal/Europe October 2015.

Viking window stateroom, $3056 (including taxes and fees) 10 days.
Princess window stateroom, $3017 (including taxes and fees) 11 days.

These are without digging for "specials," which both lines offer from time to time. Point is made that river cruising can be very similar in price to mass market cruising.
Give it up for heavens sake: specials make a lot of difference. it is rare for people not to find a special here and there; OBC, drink packages, discounted Air, etc. I am at a loss as to why you can not accept there are those who, for whatever reason (money being one) choose mass marketed lines and those who have the money, do not care about nightly entertainment and dining choices choose river cruising.
There is no right way, nor wrong. It is simply a matter of personal likes. And no, river cruising is not the same price as mass marketed lines, but you continue to think it is.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Give it up for heavens sake: specials make a lot of difference. it is rare for people not to find a special here and there; OBC, drink packages, discounted Air, etc. I am at a loss as to why you can not accept there are those who, for whatever reason (money being one) choose mass marketed lines and those who have the money, do not care about nightly entertainment and dining choices choose river cruising.
There is no right way, nor wrong. It is simply a matter of personal likes. And no, river cruising is not the same price as mass marketed lines, but you continue to think it is.
Annerk, I'm in total agreement with nmnita on this. Different strokes for different folks is a great thing. But pricing is not the same for these experiences. I don't expect it to be!

I simply wish you would be more accurate about pricing. And less judgemental towards those who select less expensive hotels, cruise ships, restaurants, plane seats, use public transportation instead of private drivers, etc etc etc.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:40 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,503 times
We returned from a Baltic cruise in May. We really wanted to do a river cruise but did find that in most cases they were higher priced than what we wanted. Ended up we paid more than the river cruises but the amenities onboard were superior to the river cruises, from what we could tell since we've never been on a river cruise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises