Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 06:49 PM

690 posts, read 1,008,639 times

Advertisements

You yourself said
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have no idea when they started the latest trend
So you cant make assumptions without knowing the facts.

Quote:
I didn't mean to imply no ships use Baltimore, only a couple do and only one ship per line.
Point is if you're expecting Baltimore to be a powerhouse in the cruise industry like Miami that's not what you're going to get but you will see that the cruise industry is growing nonetheless in Baltimore just the fact that passenger cruise lines and people are choosing the port is something most would have never imagined 10-15 years ago so having just two or three is good for the city and economy. The industry generates about $90 million a year to the state and brings about 500 jobs. In the future maybe more development will take place with the development of Port Covington, Under Armour, the city, and state to get more cruises but for now our one cruise terminal is doing just fine. http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cr...er-market.html

Quote:
Sorry to be a pain, but no, RCI has not been sailing out of Baltimore for years.They may have had a few ships each summer sail once on twice, but not on a regular basis because very seldom does any cruise line sail out of Baltiimore?
Royal Caribbean’s Grandeur of the Seas, is one of the ships that kicked off the Port of Baltimore’s cruise industry nine years ago in 2004.

Set Sail! Royal Caribbean Ship Returns To Baltimore After Major Revitalization « CBS Baltimore
The port’s easy access to and from I-95 draws a record number of passengers every year, making it one of the fastest growing cruise departure points in the nation. It’s number 11, in fact. Attracting people from the mid atlantic states to board at Baltimore's central location.
“It’s one of the few cruise facilities where you can actually drive and park right next to the ship,” said James White, executive director of Maryland Port Administration. In 2012 nearly 250,000 passengers sailed out of the Port of Baltimore on about 100 cruises on one or two cruises leaving the port weekly. In 2013 the port had just as many cruises set to go out at about 96

Quote:
Living in Baltimore I am sure you know the Pride hasn't used the port very long, right?
Carnival Cruise Lines To Sail Back Into Baltimore « CBS Baltimore
The Pride temporarily stopped cruises in Baltimore June of 2013 not that long ago, due to a dispute with the federal government new coastal water regulations forced the cruise line to pull out of Charm City June of 2013. They were supposed to stay in Baltimore through October and then sail on to Florida waters for good. But now officials say they’ll be back by spring 2015, it’s back to Baltimore for the cruise line and back to business as usual. On March 29th 2015 to be specific and continue to bring passengers aboard every Sunday until Dec. 26, 2015 after installing cleaner, greener technologies to meet those new federal guidelines. Carnival’s Pride ship was the first to offer year-round cruises out of Baltimore, beginning in 2009.

Quote:
And as for Carnival, again: nope. yes, from time to time ships will decide to sail out of Baltimore, but it isn't an embarkation port most consider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Actually, since Baltimore is drivable from Raleigh, I was a little familiar with Baltimore as a debarkation point.
You can't speak for everyone circumstances and what port they choose to take. “We get calls almost two years out for cruises out of Baltimore,” said Paula Dozier, DTS Midway Vacations. “The fact they’re coming back, we’re able to say, ‘Yes, we can book your cruise for 2015.” Posted earlier is the cruise schedule Cruise Schedule | Cruise MD where you can see the frequency of cruises coming in.

Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; 03-16-2015 at 08:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 08:57 AM

14,330 posts, read 14,635,457 times
I've been cruising for 30+ years, 20+ cruises, many itineraries and I can't name a worst cruise out of any of them. Some were better than others, but I found something to enjoy regardless. I've sailed with Princess and Royal Caribbean most, also Carnival, Celebrity, Costa and NCL. I'm not a fan of the "Cs", more because they aren't a fit for me rather than being a bad cruise line. Carnival gets a bad rap sometimes, I don't get it. They are as advertised, no more, no less.

On the initial post about Alaska, I would not let it sway me in my decision. Weather can "ruin" any cruise if that is your take on it, but who has control? I loved my Alaska cruise but if I go again, I would lean towards a land trip. I was there in 1996, first cruise of the season, no other ships, it was awesome, no crowds at all. I'm skeptical going again with all these huge ships in port.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:01 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,871,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernest Southernest C View Post
You yourself said

So you cant make assumptions without knowing the facts.

Point is if you're expecting Baltimore to be a powerhouse in the cruise industry like Miami that's not what you're going to get but you will see that the cruise industry is growing nonetheless in Baltimore just the fact that passenger cruise lines and people are choosing the port is something most would have never imagined 10-15 years ago so having just two or three is good for the city and economy. The industry generates about $90 million a year to the state and brings about 500 jobs. In the future maybe more development will take place with the development of Port Covington, Under Armour, the city, and state to get more cruises but for now our one cruise terminal is doing just fine. Baltimore Notes Third Largest Consumer Market - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

Royal Caribbean’s Grandeur of the Seas, is one of the ships that kicked off the Port of Baltimore’s cruise industry nine years ago in 2004.

Set Sail! Royal Caribbean Ship Returns To Baltimore After Major Revitalization « CBS Baltimore
The port’s easy access to and from I-95 draws a record number of passengers every year, making it one of the fastest growing cruise departure points in the nation. It’s number 11, in fact. Attracting people from the mid atlantic states to board at Baltimore's central location.
“It’s one of the few cruise facilities where you can actually drive and park right next to the ship,” said James White, executive director of Maryland Port Administration. In 2012 nearly 250,000 passengers sailed out of the Port of Baltimore on about 100 cruises on one or two cruises leaving the port weekly. In 2013 the port had just as many cruises set to go out at about 96

Carnival Cruise Lines To Sail Back Into Baltimore « CBS Baltimore
The Pride temporarily stopped cruises in Baltimore June of 2013 not that long ago, due to a dispute with the federal government new coastal water regulations forced the cruise line to pull out of Charm City June of 2013. They were supposed to stay in Baltimore through October and then sail on to Florida waters for good. But now officials say they’ll be back by spring 2015, it’s back to Baltimore for the cruise line and back to business as usual. On March 29th 2015 to be specific and continue to bring passengers aboard every Sunday until Dec. 26, 2015 after installing cleaner, greener technologies to meet those new federal guidelines. Carnival’s Pride ship was the first to offer year-round cruises out of Baltimore, beginning in 2009.

You can't speak for everyone circumstances and what port they choose to take. “We get calls almost two years out for cruises out of Baltimore,” said Paula Dozier, DTS Midway Vacations. “The fact they’re coming back, we’re able to say, ‘Yes, we can book your cruise for 2015.” Posted earlier is the cruise schedule Cruise Schedule | Cruise MD where you can see the frequency of cruises coming in.
So what's your point?

Old 03-17-2015, 02:26 PM

690 posts, read 1,008,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
So what's your point?
Not trying to start an argument I just present facts on subjects that I'm familiar with. That's all.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:02 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,634,278 times
Default Worst cruise experience

Quote:
I have to wonder how many years ago this was and what line, because very seldom does any cruise line sail out of Baltiimore? As for picture taking and pushin you to buy, the word you use is: No. I understand we have all been though some of this, but we usually are able to just say no and walk away. I think you should try another cruise.. You might see it in a different light.
It was 2013. And YES, I know where we sailed out of and it was BALTIMORE. I understand NO, the picture hucksters did not. Hard to walk away when the are hovering around you like a flock of seagulls blocking your way, although I squeezed by my wife got caught. But that wasn't all of it. Getting on board from the terminal was a MAJOR pain-in-the-@#$#@%. I covered THAT in another post. You sound like you are a dedicated cruiser. We are NOT and can take it or leave it. Right now we choose to leave it.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:19 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,083,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
It was 2013. And YES, I know where we sailed out of and it was BALTIMORE. I understand NO, the picture hucksters did not. Hard to walk away when the are hovering around you like a flock of seagulls blocking your way, although I squeezed by my wife got caught. But that wasn't all of it. Getting on board from the terminal was a MAJOR pain-in-the-@#$#@%. I covered THAT in another post. You sound like you are a dedicated cruiser. We are NOT and can take it or leave it. Right now we choose to leave it.
Dan, I'd suggest maybe cruising in a part of the world where you won't be hounded by the touts and scammers. Europe is generally fantastic in this respect. Particularly the Baltics and Portugal/France/UK/Ireland or Croatia and Greece. Overall people leave you alone unless you approach them.

I haven't been on a river cruise, but have been in some of the regions they sail through, and you might enjoy those as well. The smaller the ship the less likely you'll have hassles of any type.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
I do understand what you are saying and cruising isn't for everyone. I don't remember the actual statistics but it is something like this: 70% of those who cruise fall in love with it: 20% enjoy it, but it isn't their number one choice for vacationing and 10% after cruising once will never cruise again. Of course these are generalizations and not actual facts.

It is just like anything else in life, we all have our favorites, and that is the way it should be. Yes, I am a dedicated cruiser, have been since my first cruise, but I have had situations that have not been particularly pleasant. I have had experiences on all types of vacations i could live without. The peddlers, hacksters, you name it are not my favorite part of vacationing.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:15 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,826,722 times
Before I have a worst cruise experience, has anyone sailed out of Charleston SC?

Old 03-30-2015, 04:03 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,262,817 times
Hey Dan - I can reliably 2nd annerk's suggestion re: European River cruising. To date since 2007 we've done six (from 16 to 35 days each) and have 2 planned for this year and 2016.

My only knowledge of the typical big ship cruises out of US ports is what I read on CD or other travel sites - never have nor intend to go that route. The hassles you mentioned are non-existent with river cruising in Europe/Russia.

River cruising in our experience is simply delightful! Passenger numbers ranged from 46 to 160 depending on the trip selection. It becomes especially enjoyable if you can afford the time (we're retired) and possibly match 2 cruises with a layover in between. That cuts down the airline hassle and costs quite a bit.

You might want to check it out.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
Before I have a worst cruise experience, has anyone sailed out of Charleston SC?
no, but I wish more ships went out of there. I have been there as a port stop a few years ago: great place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises