Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 06:36 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,690,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
But that is it, we are low users of staff.
Not really.... the staff still performs the same functions for you whether those functions require as much effort as the next person or not. You have clean linens, clean pools, clean decks, hot food, drinks, entertainment, etc... It isn't possible to go on a cruise and not utilize the services even if you don't realize it.

Cruise ships have no way to know who is going to use what so everyone is charged the same fee. Some use the services more, some less but in the end it is a way to balance everything out.

Quote:
We did not use the dining room AT ALL on our last trip. Kids did not even eat three meals a day, just lunch and dinner... and often we were in port at lunch and they just went to the grill for dinner, or sometimes the buffet.

Yes, the food still needs to be prepared, but its much less staff intensive than ordering food, bringing 3 courses, and cleaning up the mess.
Our ships galley cooked 48,000 meals each day. Think about that. They aren't cooking just for you, but for everyone on the ship. It is not much less staff intensive.

Quote:
We have never used the pool wait staff.

Kid automatically made their own beds, hung up and reused towels, steward was done literally in ten minutes in our room. He took a half hour on the one across from us.

I know there are a lot folks in the tip pool, but I also know some guest are very labor intensive and some are not.
The wait staff is still there if you need them. And despite whether or not the steward was in your room for ten minutes or 2 hours, they were still there as a service to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 12:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,959,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Not really.... the staff still performs the same functions for you whether those functions require as much effort as the next person or not. You have clean linens, clean pools, clean decks, hot food, drinks, entertainment, etc... It isn't possible to go on a cruise and not utilize the services even if you don't realize it.

Cruise ships have no way to know who is going to use what so everyone is charged the same fee. Some use the services more, some less but in the end it is a way to balance everything out.

Our ships galley cooked 48,000 meals each day. Think about that. They aren't cooking just for you, but for everyone on the ship. It is not much less staff intensive.

The wait staff is still there if you need them. And despite whether or not the steward was in your room for ten minutes or 2 hours, they were still there as a service to you.
very good and very true comments. I feel about the same. If people really did tip generously and remembered the people behind the scene that would be one thing but many do not. Like when staying at a hotel, it is amazing how many people do not leave a dollar or two per person for the housekeeper. Even if all you do is walk into your room, take a shower and go to bed. You get up the next morning and check out. Someone still changes everything for you, even things you may not use.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:28 PM

6,385 posts, read 13,181,518 times
^^ They don't change the comforter!! :0

Old 06-14-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^ They don't change the comforter!! :0
ok,you are right about that, but I am referring to sheets, towels, etc not the spread.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:20 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,102,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post

Your post kind of reminds me of the joke, after being told the services were there and you have to pay for them, the cheapskate said, I am billing you for the sexual services my wife provided while we were there. If you didn't take advantage, it is your fault. Or something to that affect.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:24 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,102,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and my gut feeling is and has always been, those who are opposed to auto tipping are not about to leave a decent tip. They just do not understand why there is the auto tip policy. Every notice they all say, I am a good tipper or I am not cheap!!!
In our case, if we tipped with cash for every service as it is rendered, we would probably pay twice as much as the recommended amount, as it used to be called before they made it automatic. The automatic charge does not bother me at all.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:25 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,911,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
With 17+ billion, yes Billion in revenue in 2017 I don’t understand why Carnival can’t take a intermediate approach and scale back the mandatory tipping. I actually love tipping cash and to make sure those hard workers get the actual money. I’ve heard straight from cruise workers that they don’t get all that $ and Carnival pockets it.
Tips don’t count towards revenue, except whatever percentage Carnival pockets.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:47 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,911,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
We just went on the Carnival 3 day to Ensenada and the tips were rather reasonable compared to when I first cruised 15 plus years ago. It was $60 and change, very reasonable to me.
$60 total or per day? I was thinking Royal charged $50 per day per person for tips, but I could be wrong.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:22 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,513,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
$60 total or per day? I was thinking Royal charged $50 per day per person for tips, but I could be wrong.
$60 total for Carnival for 3 days per person, to be exact I want to say it was $66 per person total $132 total for 3 days, 2 ppl.

It's funny you mention Royal because that is the first time I cruised many years ago but the tips were much higher $32 or so a day in early 2000's and they had it broken down $6 per day for room steward, etc.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
In our case, if we tipped with cash for every service as it is rendered, we would probably pay twice as much as the recommended amount, as it used to be called before they made it automatic. The automatic charge does not bother me at all.
you are saying or thinking like what I am: you would tip generously if there was no auto tipping. I understand that but too many do not and when ever I see the question about tipping in cash a bell goes off. When we did tip in cash, ever notice how many people didn't come to dinner that last night? I like the auto tipping cause, if nothing else it is easier. I used to hate trying to decide how to break the tips up, how to have correct amounts of money, running to the reception desk for $ or whatever, plus I technically have everything paid up front. I then know how much budgeted cash I have left to spend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises