Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 08:58 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,927,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I like the auto tipping cause, if nothing else it is easier. I used to hate trying to decide how to break the tips up, how to have correct amounts of money, running to the reception desk for $ or whatever, plus I technically have everything paid up front. I then know how much budgeted cash I have left to spend.

When we first started cruising they would leave 3 or 4 envelopes in your cabin that you would put your tips in and then give to each person, steward, head waiter, waiter, etc. We like auto tips as it is, indeed, easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 12:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
When we first started cruising they would leave 3 or 4 envelopes in your cabin that you would put your tips in and then give to each person, steward, head waiter, waiter, etc. We like auto tips as it is, indeed, easier.
oh I do remember those days. I hated trying to have the correct number of $s or whatever but did enjoy seeing the faces as you handed the crew their envelope. What I hated was the empty tables that last night as some people were just plain to cheap to tip anything. I have to wonder how they felt about this or if they really felt they were the rights ones and the rest of us were just fools?

Old 07-02-2018, 12:55 PM

50,396 posts, read 64,095,870 times
We went on quite a few cruises in the 80s and 90s. Back then, things were a lot nicer. We paid cash to the room stewards and the waiters at the end of the cruise, so we knew they got the money.

We could also buy liquor at a port and drink it in our rooms. Now, they make sure everything you drink is from them. It’s too bad that cruising has gotten crass and crowded. It didn’t used to be that way.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:15 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,147,942 times
The OP has a choice. He can choose those cruises with all gratuities included. The cruise companies periodically advertise such promotion.

And if you look at the breakdown of tips, actually it is fairly reasonable. The tips range between $13-15 (a few bucks more for suite) per day. And what is provided? Three meals and room cleaning. Unlike hotel which just cleans your room once a day, the cruise ship staff cleans your room 2-3 times a day. Every time you come back to your room, it is always neat and tidy.

And if you sit down in the main dining room for all three meals, it averages just $4-5 for tips per meal. And of course if you choose room service, that may demand more tips.

It is meager compared with the tips you would pay in any restaurants in any metropolis.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:31 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,884,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We went on quite a few cruises in the 80s and 90s. Back then, things were a lot nicer. We paid cash to the room stewards and the waiters at the end of the cruise, so we knew they got the money.

We could also buy liquor at a port and drink it in our rooms. Now, they make sure everything you drink is from them. It’s too bad that cruising has gotten crass and crowded. It didn’t used to be that way.

I understand what you are saying - we cruised in those years as well. We might disagree on the cause of these changes: I say it's at least partially because the cruise lines became publicly held entities with shareholders that expect a ROI. These entities HAVE to make a profit, and there's nothing wrong with that. Capitalism - it's the American Way.

This is when the big players had their IPO:

Carnival in 1987 - and purchased HAL in 1989
RCCL - 1993

Old 07-03-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

I agree with part of what you say but not all. Heck I remember when we could buy liquor right on the ship and enjoy it in our cabin, but there are things I like better about today's cruising. For one thing, no more formal nights on most lines. This cuts down on the luggage, so we are not paying a fortune to the airlines in baggage fees. Another positive, there are so many new ports compared to 25 or so years ago and so many more dinging choices. So, for all we miss about the olden days, we have new features to enjoy.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
The OP has a choice. He can choose those cruises with all gratuities included. The cruise companies periodically advertise such promotion.

And if you look at the breakdown of tips, actually it is fairly reasonable. The tips range between $13-15 (a few bucks more for suite) per day. And what is provided? Three meals and room cleaning. Unlike hotel which just cleans your room once a day, the cruise ship staff cleans your room 2-3 times a day. Every time you come back to your room, it is always neat and tidy.

And if you sit down in the main dining room for all three meals, it averages just $4-5 for tips per meal. And of course if you choose room service, that may demand more tips.

It is meager compared with the tips you would pay in any restaurants in any metropolis.
I too have done the comparison and agree with you. I think the problem is, it just seems like so much when you see it totally up for you. When we tip separately, for some reason it is less painful for many. of course you will always have those who do not tip or do not tip the accepted amount. They are the ones that do the most complaining. Let's just give one example or tipping: If you go to lunch and the cost is $10 a person without drinks. The tip would be about $3.50 to $4.00. Then we have dinner plus breakfast to think about. Add to this drinks when on a vacation particularly. Now add all the other places you tip, it is easy to see how much we are really spending on gratuities and it is so much easier to just do it up front. No worries: you get on the ship knowing you have no reason to spend much more money.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:43 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,526,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
I like to go on cruises, and do often with my two teens. Now, they prefer to NOT go to the formal dining room and eat at the buffets that are self serve, or the grills.

We do not utilize a lot of the folks that other seem to need to help them.

I kind of resent having a set tip for everyone when some people use more staff resources. I'd rather have a 'low maintenance' tip fee and the 'high maintenance' fee for those that use more of the resources.
You can reduce the amount of the auto-tips to any level you wish.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:34 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,147,942 times
Actually a more appropriate comparison is cruise vs land tour. If you join a land tour in Europe, the tips will average $15-20 per day which includes service charges to driver, porter and tour guide. But you still have to tip in restaurants (though not as much as you would tip in US) except breakfast.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:07 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,038,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You can reduce the amount of the auto-tips to any level you wish.
Yes, buy I would not do that, unless the service I did use was very bad, and the services we use are excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises