Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 07:10 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes and it happens MORE IN THIS COUNTRY than anywhere else i believe!!!!

IDIOTS ARE TOO GREEDY TO GIVE IT AWAY FREE!!!!!!!
Do you know that Quiznos managers must throw all unused meat away after a what is it 5 day period, and they do....that is a huge amount of meat....????
But Quizno's has their own inspection people, and if you own a franchize, and the inspector comes out and catches you with outdated meat, your in big big trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 07:11 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I have to agree with texdav. The bank would have a difficult time explaining to their insurance company and investors why they would take on the added liability of distributing food.
Because it's the right thing to do.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:45 AM

645 posts, read 988,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Mny will not donate food they reject to sell to others because they do not want the liqabilty .Sad but true.Een mnay charties now will not take out of date food that is perfect safe ebcause of liability.
Bingo.

Simple fix - Pass law that eliminates any civil liability for donated food. If folks accept and consume donated food, they understand and appreciate that they do so at their own risk. Problem solved.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
The bank could have made them sign waivers not holding the bank liable before they handed out the food.

Like somebody said food banks won't take expired canned goods which just means not to sale it after that date the food inside is still good. Jails won't take over abundance produce and fruits from citizens because innmates have sued them in the past.

Our country has become sue happy nobody wants to be held accountable that is what is wrong a lot of the times.
Waivers of liability mean diddly squat. Businesses include these all the time, but it amounts to nothing more than a hill of beans because the courts will not consider it to be an arms length transaction, view the waiver to be a contract of adhesion, and will void the waiver.

No I am not a lawyer, but I play one in my own mind.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
If someone is so poor they're coming out to a grocery store closing like this to beg for food, they should be given a handout. Whatever happened to compassion? In the 19th century, the poor were referred to as "unfortunates". Now people are hard, and so brainwashed, we call them "losers" and have no qualms about saying the most horrid things about them. What would Jesus have done in this situation, I wonder?
I am thinking Jesus - the Son of God with a hard "J" - would have most likely shown up with the truck to take the food. Then, he'd break up a loaf of that donated bread and a can of tuna and would have fed everyone that showed up - then haul away the basketfuls of leftovers along with the rest of the goods back to the church.

But then again, if Jesus did show up, I am thinking he most likely wouldn't get sued. Well, he probably would, but I'm sure he has pretty darn good insurance.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:41 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,990,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
Bingo.

Simple fix - Pass law that eliminates any civil liability for donated food. If folks accept and consume donated food, they understand and appreciate that they do so at their own risk. Problem solved.
A good idea, however that would go against the big government movement and give less responsibility to the FDA. We all know that will never happen.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:21 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Pulling dairy products 3 days before their "sell by" date is the industry standard at every grocery store. If you keep products on the shelf that close to their date people will complain and ask for better dates or go shop at another store that has "fresher" dates. I work at a grocery store and deal with this issue daily.
My supermarket marks down dairy products a few days before they expire. I have caught them with expired dairy products on their shelves before.

However, I buy large containers of Greek yogurt and quite happily continue to consume them well after the sell-by date. I don't go by dates stamped on containers...I go by smell, taste, and texture. If any of those are off, then I toss it. Sell-by dates are so arbitrary anyway.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:35 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes and it happens MORE IN THIS COUNTRY than anywhere else i believe!!!!

IDIOTS ARE TOO GREEDY TO GIVE IT AWAY FREE!!!!!!!
you should open up a restaurant or grocery store and give away all your perishable products for free. sounds like a great business model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events