Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 04:17 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Of course it matters. If you go to any school for developmentally disabled people, they’ll tell you what a dangerous job it is. I saw a woman suddenly freak out and start throwing things and trying to hit people while working in a sheltered workshop when I was an OT student. We had lectures on how to get out of it if you’re being choked from the front, from the back, etc.

We have a long time poster here CoChristie, who has a huge autistic teen who regularly beats her up and they have special protocols in his school to deal with his violence. It is not something he can control, he’s low functioning.

It sounds like this kid shouldn’t have been in public school but Special Services district.

I totally agree with your last sentence. There's no way in my mind this was TOTALLY out of the blue. Perhaps from the standpoint of happening at school.. But.. You don't go full on nutso like that without SOME warning signs. That'd be VERY rare. More apt to have someone just pull out a gun, because that's more 'detached'.. This was physical, violent, personal and.. Basically non-stop. I have.. Little doubt he would have killed her if he wasn't restrained. And.. Have worries that he may try again.

Your first part. That's where I disagree. It does NOT matter that he's 'developmentally disabled' so far as him needing to be dealt with. Now.. HOW he's dealt with, it certainly does make a difference. As I said before.. That'd be the difference between a jail sentence and perhaps more an inpatient treatment center for a time. For a time, and I'm not necessarily saying a long time, he needs to be secured. If this winds up being a situation where meds can be adjusted. ok.. Secure facility until those meds are adjusted and working.

Is CoChristie at a 'normal' school or one that focuses on and specializes in the 'developmentally disabled'? Because, yes, if you take a job at one of those, while you're not signing off on someone beating the crap out of you.. You take that job with the knowledge that it COULD happen in mind. Or, you don't take the job if you're not willing to accept the risk, no matter how small it may be.

I certainly hope that school is not a 'normal' high school.

My grandmother worked at a place here in SC called Whitten Center for 20+ years. These.. Let's say the name of that 'school' has changed many times over the years. You can do some Google searches to see what I mean there. It has 'residents' who are.. Severely emotionally and/or physically disabled. A very sad place looking from the outside, but, honestly, at the time she was there, pretty full of love inside.. To give you an idea of the scope of this place.. It has its own cemetery. So.. These are.. At least some of them, people who were just abandoned by their families.

Granny was a saint of a woman. She came home twice injured. Once with a broken tailbone when she was bum-rushed by a resident and knocked on her ass, and once with a broken wrist when she jumped in to break up a fight. But. she knew the risks, and she was willing to accept them. And.. She never held it against them. She was.. I don't remember the exact term, but a 'house mother' would seem most fitting. She cared about all of them and loved her job. All she'd ever say was.. "They didn't know any better"

The point here. She knew and accepted the risk. From the sounds of this case.. He was in a normal high school.. And teachers there do NOT accept the same risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2023, 04:18 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,586,201 times
#1 - why would any smaller asst. snatch and take away a gadget from a 6' 7" 250+ pound special needs person?

#2 - is he really 6' 7"? the officer who cuffed him looks to be around his height. So, maybe he's 6' 2" and 220 lbs.

Why is there not a "male" officer nearby a special needs class if these students become angered by something trivial?

Last edited by frankrj; 02-24-2023 at 04:45 PM..

Old 02-24-2023, 05:29 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
#1 - why would any smaller asst. snatch and take away a gadget from a 6' 7" 250+ pound special needs person?

#2 - is he really 6' 7"? the officer who cuffed him looks to be around his height. So, maybe he's 6' 2" and 220 lbs.

Why is there not a "male" officer nearby a special needs class if these students become angered by something trivial?
Other reports said he was 6'7 and 270+ lbs. The 220 would probably be a typo.

My brother has a son with Asperger's. He's 6'5 and about 340 ibs. My brother is an ex football player, up in age and the son can easily take him down now. The son can throw violent fits like this and it is scary.

He's in a special home in AZ for Asperger kids but it is very expensive.

Old 02-24-2023, 06:53 PM

9,144 posts, read 6,202,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Of course it matters. If you go to any school for developmentally disabled people, they’ll tell you what a dangerous job it is. I saw a woman suddenly freak out and start throwing things and trying to hit people while working in a sheltered workshop when I was an OT student. We had lectures on how to get out of it if you’re being choked from the front, from the back, etc.

We have a long time poster here CoChristie, who has a huge autistic teen who regularly beats her up and they have special protocols in his school to deal with his violence. It is not something he can control, he’s low functioning.

It sounds like this kid shouldn’t have been in public school but Special Services district.

Not everyone should be mainstreamed. This 220 lb behemoth is terrifying.

Look at the video.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/lo...ntendo-switch/

Old 02-24-2023, 09:31 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
The article states that he is a special needs student.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^

Florida has always been a state that has a low regard for education, and prioritizes the penal system - incarceration, and execution, above education.

This is a very large, special education student, who obviously is not normal in any way, in a classroom with a teacher, and other students. This is incomprehensible.

The student needed to be in special education classes in a locked unit, with a special education teacher, paraprofessionals trained in de-escalation of violence, psychiatric nurses trained in working with potentially violent individuals, and psych attendants who can remove the patient/student to a secure room where they are not a danger to themselves or to others.

I worked at Queens Children's Psychiatric Hospital in NY as an RN, in a unit for adolescent males with intermittent explosive personality disorder. Although it was a hospital, it was also a NYC Public School
that was part of the NYC public school system.

This student should have been in such a place.

Old 02-24-2023, 11:47 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,426,106 times
Virginia Supreme Court has upheld executions of moderately retarded. There has got to be deterrents, folks, that is all there is to it. Put a straightjacket on him, and you might be amazed at his behavior improvement.

I was subbing in a poor part of Phoenix. A white SRO, handcuffed a black kid..about 10 years old, and did it at after lunch recess when the maximum number of students watching. The only thing that made me hesitant to return was an excellent salad bar at a worse school in the same district.

The superintendent was name National Superintendent of the Year for that school year, and there is now a school named after her.

Old 02-24-2023, 11:48 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,426,106 times
Virginia Supreme Court has upheld executions of moderately retarded. There has got to be deterrents, folks, that is all there is to it. Put a straightjacket on him, and you might be amazed at his behavior improvement.

I was subbing in a poor part of Phoenix. A white SRO, handcuffed a black kid..about 10 years old, and did it at after lunch recess when the maximum number of students were watching. The only thing that made me hesitant to return was an excellent salad bar at a worse school in the same district.

The superintendent was named National Superintendent of the Year for that school year, and there is now a school named after her.

Old 02-25-2023, 12:20 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Being special needs doesn't mean that society has to accept violence. If someone who is special needs cannot conduct themselves in a nonviolent manner, then in my opinion someone shouldn't be freely living among the rest of the public. Put differently, one's special needs doesn't trample on the right of others to live safely and securely.

Old 02-25-2023, 03:41 AM

4,858 posts, read 455,583 times
Behind bars is where he needs to be. If he's disabled, then it is what it is, but did Mom and Dad TEACH him anything? Even so, he must pay for his actions. My niece just became a teacher. An 8-year old STOMPED on her foot. Little ****t.

Are parents parent-ing anymore?

Old 02-25-2023, 04:31 AM

2,872 posts, read 1,151,678 times
"Special Needs" is no reason for a kid going full-on Mongo on another person.
We, as a society, need to have a serious and uncomfortable discussion as to what actions to take with regard to such a danger to society as this "kid" presents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events