Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 04:55 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,105,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Back in the ancient times Shimano tried to take that step further with biopace cranks. The crank gears were ovaled and slightly offset on the down stroke. I'm assuming they don't make them anymore, I know they died out pretty quick when they first came on the market.
Hmmm, I might have had those on an early Cannondale. I think it was the with the 105 Groupo...

Here it is Biopace 1983-93

Biopace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Curious Case of Osymetric Chainrings - Competitive Cyclist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 07:01 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,765,364 times
Personally, I'd probably pass on all of those except maybe the Schwinn Worldsport, depending on how cheaply you could get it. And the Worldsport was more of a casual, very entry level road bike. Not really a high performance bicycle, but also not a bad bike and definitely better than those others. I think by then they had chromoly tubing in the main triangle, but the rear was high tensile steel.

Completely anecdotal, but my brother used to have a Worldsport about the same year as that one, and it was one of his favorite bikes. But he also wasn't exactly into high performance and speed; he liked it because it was comfortable, rode smoothly, and was nimble enough to at least feel reasonably lively. But it was certainly no race bike.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:31 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,578,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Personally, I'd probably pass on all of those except maybe the Schwinn Worldsport, depending on how cheaply you could get it. And the Worldsport was more of a casual, very entry level road bike. Not really a high performance bicycle, but also not a bad bike and definitely better than those others. I think by then they had chromoly tubing in the main triangle, but the rear was high tensile steel.

Completely anecdotal, but my brother used to have a Worldsport about the same year as that one, and it was one of his favorite bikes. But he also wasn't exactly into high performance and speed; he liked it because it was comfortable, rode smoothly, and was nimble enough to at least feel reasonably lively. But it was certainly no race bike.
Do you know what kind of bike the one is that is $15? I emailed the seller and they told me it is a Sears bike, but they didn't tell me what model. From the pictures I have seen of Free Spirit bikes, it doesn't look like it is one of them. Most FS I have seen have stem shifters and that one has downtube shifters.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:29 PM

It's a very low end bike. I don't know if those downtube shifters are original to the bike, because the rest of it looks to be pretty much the cheapest of the cheap. In fact I get the impression that at some point someone replaced the stem and handlebars, using parts from another bike. They may have used the shifters, too. I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like. It's probably only worth $15, at best. It's definitely a very low end frame. You can tell by the huge but paper thin stamped dropouts in the rear, and how the frame and fork tubes are just squashed where they attach to the dropouts. That's typical of very cheap bikes. It's hard to tell in the photos, but I'm guessing it has heavy, steel, one piece cranks. I'd be surprised if it didn't, actually.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:34 PM

I found this one:

Trek Road Bike T1000

That may be more than you want to spend, but that's a pretty good bike. Throw some decent tires on it and I bet it would be excellent. From what I've read those early aluminum Treks can be a pretty harsh ride, so it might benefit from the largest tires that could fit. If 28mm tires would fit on there (and they may not) it would be nice.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I found this one:

Trek Road Bike T1000

That may be more than you want to spend, but that's a pretty good bike. Throw some decent tires on it and I bet it would be excellent. From what I've read those early aluminum Treks can be a pretty harsh ride, so it might benefit from the largest tires that could fit. If 28mm tires would fit on there (and they may not) it would be nice.

That bike is nice, but isn't it on the small side?

Old 05-29-2013, 06:24 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot. I think that's around a 56cm frame which would probably be a little small for someone six feet tall. You probably could ride it, but I doubt it would fit quite right.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:28 PM

Just found this:

Road bike

That looks to be around 58cm which might be just large enough for you. As far as I can tell it looks like it's in decent condition, though I'm a little concerned about that rear derailleur cable (a pretty easy fix). It would also be nice if the seller told a little about the bike, like what model it is.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Just found this:

Road bike

That looks to be around 58cm which might be just large enough for you. As far as I can tell it looks like it's in decent condition, though I'm a little concerned about that rear derailleur cable (a pretty easy fix). It would also be nice if the seller told a little about the bike, like what model it is.
It's crazy that you posted this on here because I was looking at this one yesterday and started to post the picture on here to see if anyone could ID this bike. I emailed the seller yesterday asking them if it was still available and what model it was and their response was (these are exact words, I copied and pasted it)"It's still available and it's a schwinn 10 gears" .

Old 05-30-2013, 07:20 PM

This was another one that caught my eye. I posted the link in one of the bike forums and someone told me that it will be too big for me. I guess I don't have the ability to just eye an ad and tell how big a bike is. They all said it is worth the $75.

Vintage Raleigh Super Grand Prix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling