Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 01:57 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times

Advertisements

I'm anticipating having a free weekend - wife will be going out of town with the kid. I have no pets to take care of so it's wide open.

Should I go for an awesome climb (I enjoy climbing) or do a mini credit card weekend tour? I'm in Boston so I'm considering either mapping out a nice tour (maybe heading west or out to Cape Cod) or driving to the White Mountains in NH and doing some climbing. I'm leaning towards the mountains. I can build in plenty of hills into a tour but it won't be nearly as epic as a long steady climb in the mountains, just hills.

I kept in good shape over the winter and have been riding a decent amount so am fit enough to do OK with either but can't really do both because of time constraints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 04:40 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Go mountain climbing. That was easy.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:42 AM

No, it's not that easy. I've been touring before and it was a lot of fun. You meet other riders, go into shops and talk to people. People are interested in who you are, where your from, how far your going, etc. And seeing places on bike that you haven't been to on a bike opens up the possibility of amazing adventure. It's a fun time.

I guess some of it will depend on my mood as the time draws closer.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
No, it's not that easy. I've been touring before and it was a lot of fun. You meet other riders, go into shops and talk to people. People are interested in who you are, where your from, how far your going, etc. And seeing places on bike that you haven't been to on a bike opens up the possibility of amazing adventure. It's a fun time.

I guess some of it will depend on my mood as the time draws closer.
Exactly. You asked a question that no one can answer but you. I don't even know why you asked. It's like asking if you should go north or if you should go south. But since you asked, I threw it out there, it was my throwing it out there that was easy, the flip of a coin would be harder. BTW go south!

Old 06-28-2013, 12:17 PM

Of course others can answer it. Others can tell me what they would prefer and why, which I would then consider when making my decision. I'm sure there are things I am not thinking of in terms of why a tour would be good or why a couple days of climbing would be good. I'd like to hear people's input.

Someone can also advise of a totally different idea than a tour or a climb.

Come on bro, get that chip off your shoulder. It's Friday, have some fun.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Of course others can answer it. Others can tell me what they would prefer and why, which I would then consider when making my decision. I'm sure there are things I am not thinking of in terms of why a tour would be good or why a couple days of climbing would be good. I'd like to hear people's input.

Someone can also advise of a totally different idea than a tour or a climb.

Come on bro, get that chip off your shoulder. It's Friday, have some fun.
There's no chip, I even put a smilie so you wouldn't get confused. A lot of good that did. (Just Kidding!) I am actually envious of your predicament, especially with the heat that has rolled into Dallas. I'm just saying that only you will determine it depending on your mood, which is what you said, which I followed with "exactly." I climbed the French Alps on a tour paralleling the TdF one year, we went through a lot of small towns - so I got to combine a tour with climbing and riding with a group. Some of the climbs averaged 7% for over 10 miles. The climbing aspect was so much more rewarding, as well as getting to bomb down mountain passes at up to 100km/h - that was thrilling, followed by going into quaint little French towns in the valleys along the route, checking out the LBS where their TVs were all tuned into the tour. Can you imaging how great that was? See, no chip.

Last edited by PanTerra; 06-28-2013 at 02:54 PM..

Old 07-02-2013, 07:52 AM

Pffft, you climbed the alps and are jealous of MY predicament! I was pretty fit when I came into it but cycling wasn't my main sport until a few years ago so I've really only been riding seriously for about 5 yrs. I am way too married to think about doing something like that (but maybe when my kid is more independent I can begin to give it consideration).

7% for over 10 miles would make me really appreciate my 39/25. And I'd still be hurting pretty good. Aside from things with family, I can't think of anything that would give me more joy and satisfaction than climbing one of the great passes of the world. I'm going to have to put it on my list but will likely need a 34 up front by the time I get to it, which makes no never mind to me.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Pffft, you climbed the alps and are jealous of MY predicament! I was pretty fit when I came into it but cycling wasn't my main sport until a few years ago so I've really only been riding seriously for about 5 yrs. I am way too married to think about doing something like that (but maybe when my kid is more independent I can begin to give it consideration).
That was in '04, I would need a lot of work to get in that shape again. Now I just ride out to DFW airport and ride around there or other flat boring places. The guy that I did TdF trip with was also married. As we were sitting on the Champs Elysees on some bistro's patio in the evening before the last day of racing into Paris, he told me that if we do this again, I had better get a wife and bring her, because he would be bringing his - it was just too romantic to be wasting it on me. It was!

Quote:
7% for over 10 miles would make me really appreciate my 39/25. And I'd still be hurting pretty good. Aside from things with family, I can't think of anything that would give me more joy and satisfaction than climbing one of the great passes of the world. I'm going to have to put it on my list but will likely need a 34 up front by the time I get to it, which makes no never mind to me.
And I had a triple with a 27 in the rear. Big mistake! Once you get into that low a gear, you are stuck in it. My 25 would have been plenty and it wouldn't have taken all morning.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:33 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,208,084 times
Go climbing and take the bike with....how about the Gunks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling