Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:41 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,583 times

Advertisements

I started riding my bike again about 4 weeks ago, and am now doing at least 1 hour to 1 and 1/2 5 times a week. Is bike riding a good cardio workout? The thing is I get bored easily, and that's the one exercise I really enjoy that I could do every day. Any suggestions for the other 2 days? I've been walking, but I thought I could maybe do some weights - just not sure how to go about it. I have some 1, 5, and 10 lb free weights. Ideas?
I'm trying to lose weight (like to lose 30 pounds) and basically become healthier. I reduced my calories to 1500 a day goal - have lost 5 pounds so far.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 08:58 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,970 times
You could use the weights to do a full body workout on say Tuesday and Thursday, might suggest getting a exercise ball as well. For me what I would do is weights three times a week say MWF and stil continue to ride.
How To Get a Full-Body Workout With Dumbells and a Swiss Ball | eHow.com

Old 05-06-2008, 09:02 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,971,119 times
1500 calories/day is far too few even for a cut. You may benefit from reorganizing the foods you eat, how you eat them, and join a gym. Your weights are fine for a real beginner but you will outgrow them in about... oh... a month and they will become next to useless.

If riding a bike gets you to do some activity, great. Do it. Do you have hills near you? Ride up those hills- you need real resistance, not just pedaling.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
1500 calories/day is far too few even for a cut. You may benefit from reorganizing the foods you eat, how you eat them, and join a gym. Your weights are fine for a real beginner but you will outgrow them in about... oh... a month and they will become next to useless.

If riding a bike gets you to do some activity, great. Do it. Do you have hills near you? Ride up those hills- you need real resistance, not just pedaling.
I don't really know anything about how to use weights. Maybe I will try the gym. I may be moving sometime in future so hate paying that huge upfront fee and 1 year membership requiremen they always have. I could check that the gym has a location where I might be moving though so hopefully could transfer.
Yes, there are hills, and I have been using them. Even in 4 weeks my legs and hips feel different. I love that. LOL.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:42 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
I started riding my bike again about 4 weeks ago, and am now doing at least 1 hour to 1 and 1/2 5 times a week. Is bike riding a good cardio workout?
Its a good workout if you are going at a steady pace. Do you ride a road bike with the full "Lance Armstrong" type gear (bike shorts, bike shirt, helmet, ect)? That kind of bike riding is very good but only if youre at a stead pace for a good distance. I see people riding like that through my neighborhood all the time and they all look like they are training for a Tour De France type event. Just getting on a bike and casually riding along the beach isnt good cardio. Which type of rider are you?

Old 05-06-2008, 07:01 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,781,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Its a good workout if you are going at a steady pace. Do you ride a road bike with the full "Lance Armstrong" type gear (bike shorts, bike shirt, helmet, ect)? That kind of bike riding is very good but only if youre at a stead pace for a good distance. I see people riding like that through my neighborhood all the time and they all look like they are training for a Tour De France type event. Just getting on a bike and casually riding along the beach isnt good cardio. Which type of rider are you?
which is better for weight loss (fat burning), riding an exercise bike and a resistance that make it hard for me to talk for 30 minutes, or walking at a fast pace on a tred mill for 30 minutes at a speed that makes it hard to talk? I have these real bulky legs, and don't want to build anymore muscle. I just want to lose fat all over my body....and even though I KNOW I SHOULD NOT BE concerend with the scales, come on every body, lets admit, its a huge motivater when it says less and less. I only wieght myself once a week, usually on Friday morning. Is the bike riding putting Muscle on my legs?

Old 05-06-2008, 07:41 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,464,952 times
riding bicycles is excellent for cardio workouts! you must keep up your pace and keep those pedal moving to benefit from your riding, dont just cruise along without pedaling, also use the heavy gear and ride while standing, dont do all your riding sitting.

former Olympic champion Bruce Jenner says he doesnt run anymore because the body changes as people age and running is not good for your joints.

he rides bicycles

Old 05-06-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post

LOL. Somewhere in between? I do have the helmet, and am trying to keep a steady pace and even pedal going down the hills, but I'm sure no Armstrong. My bike is a mountain bike though. I hate to buy another since I paid over $500 for this one several years ago, and it works fine. It just doesn't go as fast as those speedy racer type bikes. Unlike most exercise though I actually look forward to riding.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:28 PM

172 posts, read 769,370 times
I think it is a good cardio workout. I take spin class and ride my bike outside in the early morning. Riding outside is more of a challenge but I enjoy it and always feel better after.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:49 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,971,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
I don't really know anything about how to use weights. Maybe I will try the gym.
What a perfect opportunity to learn! I'm not being funny, either. It can be a huge benefit to you, so invest the time.

Quote:
I may be moving sometime in future so hate paying that huge upfront fee and 1 year membership requiremen they always have. I could check that the gym has a location where I might be moving though so hopefully could transfer.
Yup, check with the gyms in your area. I know there are gyms that don't require a long commitment, sometimes as little as 3 months and then it's a membership on a month to month basis. Ask!

Quote:
Yes, there are hills, and I have been using them. Even in 4 weeks my legs and hips feel different. I love that. LOL.
Good, I'm glad they do. Imagine how much you'll love your legs and hips after squats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling