Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 12:34 PM

372 posts, read 849,150 times

Advertisements

If you're just getting into running or walking/running, I'd suggest going to a running specialty store and getting fitted for proper shoes.

I had knee pain for the first month of my running life. Once I figured out that the sneakers I bought because they looked cool were made for people who roll their feet inward when running, while I do the opposite... I made the change, and haven't looked back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 12:44 AM

173 posts, read 979,289 times
When I was heavier, I couldn't run... major shin splints. I rode and strengthened my legs, and later went on to run a half marathon with no problem.

I run and bike, mtn, road and touring. Running burns the calories quickly, but its harsher. With biking, it can take longer to burn the same calories, but it can be easier on the body. And it depends on how hard you ride. Like tonight, I rode across Reno, met up with some bike club members, and we did one mile rounds, practicing pace lines, and then going 'balls to the wall' kind of thing, and then I biked home, up a grade, into a stiff wind. I burned 1,600 calories, approx, in less than 2 hrs. I love biking and running, I love the sheer simplicity of running...good shoes and you're off and running. Cycling can take more thought.

There's tradeoffs. I think both are a great combo. Ideally I alternate biking and running every other day.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:12 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,814,269 times
Isn't cycling great? We would ride to see the runners participating in local events, even volunteer as a cub to hand out clif-shots to the runners at points along their route, and sometimes inform them that after their knees blow out, they will be riding with us, soon enough. What other sport can the average in that sport 'play' with the best in the world of that sport. Michael Jordan isn't going to go play a pick up game with a bunch of amatures, Tiger Woods isn't going to go play golf with three guys he doesn't know. Every once in a while Lance Armstrong will show up to ride our saturday morning ride out of our local bike shop. The average cyclist can ride with the best in the world. In one ride, Lance rides up beside me and just starts conversing, in another ride a pace line of cyclists passes me by and the last guy passes me and tells me to get on his wheel. OMG, it was 5-time Tour de France winner, Miguel Indurain. That was incredible. Someone tall enough for me to draft behind.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:51 AM

347 posts, read 1,357,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnBikeNV View Post
When I was heavier, I couldn't run... major shin splints. I rode and strengthened my legs, and later went on to run a half marathon with no problem.
I experienced the almost exact same thing. When I was heavier my shins hurt and also my ankles sometimes.
I decided to train for a corporate triathlon just to lose weight.
When I trained for running, I found I could run longer on the treadmill than running outside, and running on the roads or on concrete resulted in the aches and pains.
I find cycling to be too less stressful an exercise as compared to running.
Half an hour of running = 20 miles of cycling

Old 06-29-2008, 10:03 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,582 times
I really like running, but I want to get a mountain bike (funds are too low right now!). I agree on cross training through, I used to just run 5 or 6 days a week, and was in decent shape, but I got in really good shape when I started running 3 days and lifting 3 days a week. Legs had a lot more time to heal in between workouts and I got faster and was able to run a lot further, with less injuries. Plus upper body got in good shape too! I used to have weird knee problems, but running seems to have made them better!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:51 AM

30 posts, read 127,894 times
i believe that if you want to get in shape that running is better for you. i know its not quite as fun as biking, but thats what getting in shape is all about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling