Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 02:36 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,077 times

Advertisements

Just had a carton of American smokes dropped of from the duty free shop. If you have been smoking only for 6 months -QUIT...I dread smoking..I have been puffing away for over 40 years...I can feel the effects FINALLY..Having good genetics payed off but not for ever. As you age the smoking becomes more intense...It will destroy your gums..take away your physical and mental strength - not to mention you may avoid lung cancer but perhaps not the throat cancer.

It will get you in time...of all the drugs and alcohol I consumed...Smoking was the worst. Take it from an old guy..take a walk...have a nap - make love - eat - drink and be merry...You don't need to smoke as far as stress...choose a better alternative than nicotine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 10:41 PM

23,216 posts, read 29,026,930 times
I'm taking the path Longnecker took to quit, gradual elimination, no cold turkey, and so far, it's working, but I'm on a slower path to quitting.

About 2 years ago, I cut my smoking in half by just smoking halves. About 6 months ago, I cut down to thirds. Now I'm down to just taking a few puffs, and putting it out!

Who knows! I may not get onto the next stage, but I pat myself on the back I've come this far!

Old 10-16-2013, 03:52 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,760,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm taking the path Longnecker took to quit, gradual elimination, no cold turkey, and so far, it's working, but I'm on a slower path to quitting.

About 2 years ago, I cut my smoking in half by just smoking halves. About 6 months ago, I cut down to thirds. Now I'm down to just taking a few puffs, and putting it out!

Who knows! I may not get onto the next stage, but I pat myself on the back I've come this far!
Try e cigs. I can't recommend them enough.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:56 AM

746 posts, read 1,242,513 times
My wife and I quit 6 years ago.

We made a list of reasons why we wanted to quit

Got a prescription for Chantix and set our quit date

WE smoked outside in one place

After the 1 week on the meds our quit date came and we distroyed the remaining cigaretes and threw them away

Removed all ash trays, threw away all lighters

Joined www.stopsmokingcenter.net and got online support with the forum

Kept track of how much we saved and had scheduled rewards

After one year we saved so much money that we used that money for a trip to Aruba.

Be sure to set a plan and follow through.
Remember N O P E (Not One Puff Ever) and you will do fine!
Contrats on your descission to quit! Smoking is just for Chicken and Ribs.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:13 PM

In my case, the cost savings are minimal, as I've been rolling my own, using chemical free tobacco and the empty filter tubes, for 12 years now, and we're talking $1.25 to $1.50 a pack. And given I've cut down my smoking to thirds, and occasional puffs, the expense is not a driving force.

If I hadn't discovered the idea of rolling your own, and I had to pay $10 a pack in New York I would have quit long, long ago, as my income wouldn't have permitted it!

Old 10-17-2013, 07:50 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,438,426 times
Stopped cold turkey years ago. It was one of the hardest things I'd ever done. It was and is wonderful to sit in an auditorium for a play or some other entertainment and not be wishing I was in the lobby having a cigarette.... Unfortunately, I still have COPD.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Stopped cold turkey years ago. It was one of the hardest things I'd ever done. It was and is wonderful to sit in an auditorium for a play or some other entertainment and not be wishing I was in the lobby having a cigarette.... Unfortunately, I still have COPD.
I work in a Long-Term Care facility with COPD patients, and many will say, once the damage has been done, even if you quit, the damage will always be there! My Aunt has emphysema, she quit for a year, believing her lungs would improve, and it didn't happen. So now, she's smoking again, at 80YO! Many, knowing the damage is irreversible, will then continue to smoke! I can understand that, as many of these COPD patients go out regularly for their smoke breaks!

It's like getting AIDS. No point in having protected sex after that. The damage has been done!

Many refuse to believe it, but there are people who can develop COPD without ever having smoked! In Los Angeles, for too many years, it was said that breathing in the air, during that time, was the equivalent of smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day. Even though L.A. has done a great job of cleaning up the air, they're still having 100 Red Alert Days, coming from 200 back in 2000!

And imagine! If you were a heavy smoker, to begin with, living over there!!!

Old 05-14-2015, 05:28 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,568 times
Cannabis is much healthier, 0 deaths & helps hundreds of conditions. Great stop tobacco aid. Many states still have penalties, some have medical only for some conditions. Laws in foreign countries on Wikipedia.
US laws on norml.org/ 800 strains in US at dispensaries, for differences see leafly, wikileaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Hold on, before I begin, let me light one up.

Ok, I am on my last packet of cigarettes. Marlboro Reds, if you're interested.

I've been smoking for 6 months, around. I'm not a stranger to the wacky stuff. Anyway, blunts change it a bit, so I first started with nicotine like that.

I stopped the wacky, it made me wacky, but I'd smoke both for the affect. I smoke because of stress.

I need suggestions on how I can "get away" without the cigs. Also, the bonding that occurs among smokers. In everyday life...

Old 05-15-2015, 03:35 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,684,356 times
My sister was a smoking-cessation counselor. I always remember her saying cold turkey was the absolute most effective way to quit.

As far as health benefits that might help, I could give you a bunch of them, as I had to teach a class of 8th graders about smoking and quitting smoking. I can also show you my friend's incision where he had to have his lung removed due to lung cancer. He's now cancer-free but living with just one lung.

You can do it!

Old 05-16-2015, 10:02 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,567,852 times
I was a heavy smoker for over 30 years and I quit cold turkey. No patches, no e-cigs, nothing. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done but I am so glad I quit. The only thing to do is throw the cigarettes away and don't ever pick up another one.

Its been 8 years now and I will never pick up another cigarette. It is wonderful to go weeks, months and not even think about cigarettes! No coughing, no running to the store just in case you might run out, etc.

If I can do it - anyone can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals