Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 12:24 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times

Advertisements

Felt like a thread on demolitions would be appropriate as a couple of high-profile demolitions are going to be happening soon in the area (the old McCook Field shopping center & the DDN / Schwind building).

I am not too happy about either demolition. I think the McCook property could have easily been re-purposed to industrial. It's one small remnant of the fact that McCook Field was the first air base in the Dayton area. And the center has a lot of historical significance to the area as it was Dayton's first shopping center!

(UO is down today, so I will post the link when it is back up).

As for the DDN/Schwind demolition, I am ok with demo'ing the DDN property, but the Schwind is a landmark. I hope they are still going to keep the facade, but recent articles have me doubtful that will happen.
Demolition of vacated Dayton Daily News building downtown... | www.daytondailynews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 03:02 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,753,484 times
Excellent idea for a thread.

While it was not "my area of town," with a friend I saw South Pacific at the McCook many years ago and had a lovely time. It was a very nice theater, good enough for downtown.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:04 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Felt like a thread on demolitions would be appropriate as a couple of high-profile demolitions are going to be happening soon in the area (the old McCook Field shopping center & the DDN / Schwind building).
Not only the big demolitions, but when I was in east Dayton last March, I was shocked to see so many vacant lots where houses used to sit.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:26 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
The ongoing demlition of the Troy/Valley business district

This building has been torn down, as was its neighbor (notice the fresh earth next door)

Three of these buildings (including the taller three story building in the middle) are now torn down

Old 08-07-2013, 06:29 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
Another view...the two buildings on the right, gone...

I went back to Ohio/
But my city was gone/

Old 08-07-2013, 07:00 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Unbelievable.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:34 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Not only the big demolitions, but when I was in east Dayton last March, I was shocked to see so many vacant lots where houses used to sit.
Before UD started building new homes all over the Ghetto, I'd walk up and down the streets, looking at empty lots and stairs to nowhere, thinking "Oh, so-and-so used to live there ... Remember that wild party we went to at that house where the porch caved in ... "

Old 08-07-2013, 01:00 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
I'm fine with both demolitions, as nothing truly historic is being taken down. People in this area cling too much to a bygone era, which isn't coming back. At least the Schwind won't leave an empty lot.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:04 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,702,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I'm fine with both demolitions, as nothing truly historic is being taken down. People in this area cling too much to a bygone era, which isn't coming back. At least the Schwind won't leave an empty lot.
These buildings aren't formally declared historic but it just depends on who is doing the defining.

I think the comment "people in this area cling too much to a bygone era" deserves note. They DO, but only with lip service. The reality is that anything that isn't bright and shiny in Dayton goes to slum stage and then urban renewal.

Daytonians pine away for the past but they're too gutless and/or lazy and apathetic to truly honor it by preserving, restoring and actually using it.

Last edited by Ohioan58; 08-07-2013 at 01:13 PM..

Old 08-07-2013, 01:32 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Well, they're preserving the historic part of the DDN. If a building is an eyesore and there have been decades of no one interested in renewing or restoring it, there's no point in keeping it up. Of course, I'm not talking the Dayton Arcade, but brick buildings like the one in DS' last pic. They're nice enough, but not particularly unique, so if there is no monetary will to rehab it, and the neighborhood is not renewing (which it's not), keeping it up only brings down the area.
I also don't think it has to do with guts, laziness or apathy...but who's going to pay for it, and how will it be used?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton