Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 01:58 PM

159 posts, read 124,985 times

Advertisements

Hi Im a older student from Southern California , I kind of want different experience . I thought I would check out the possibly of attending Dayton. Is the music department legitimate? What is Dayton like? I like the idea of four seasons and I have family from the Midwest mainly Illinois and some from Ohio. I have never been to Dayton however, I have checked out some stuff on the internet about Dayton that it has a historic arts district called Oregon which seems kind of cool and I heard that West Dayton is a neighborhood to avoid.Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 03:27 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,936,385 times
I live in the Dayton area and am up there a lot, UD is a really good school probably the best in SW Ohio but it is a private school and very expensive, more known for their law program.

Dayton is a fairly nice place to live for the money, some parts better than others, The Oregon District is something of an entertainment district more than an arts district. Unfortunately there was a mass shooting there but that was an isolated incident, I have been there hundreds of times over the decades and never had a problem.

West Dayton is the worst area but not dangerous during the daylight hours and most of the violent crime takes place there but I have seen worse in other cities so it’s all relative.

If you want a nicer area closer to UD Kettering would be worth checking out.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:46 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,701,990 times
For older students with a good understanding of their major, school-recommendations are perhaps best made by faculty members in the field, in their current school. This is especially true in grad-school, but also true for transfer-students in undergrad.

UD hosts the occasional concert, judging from which, their music program does alright (my own experience is in engineering). Students, at least in the upper levels, tend to be serious and dedicated to their studies.

My views on the City of Dayton itself, are less positive than those on UD (the university). But if one enjoys the school and builds connections in the campus community, the actual choice of city is secondary. Some of the finest universities in America are in locales where one might not otherwise choose to live.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:47 PM

True.. A place is what you make of it. I know that U of Dayton has reputation for being a party school but Im not really looking for that.. Im kind of through that phase of hardcore drinking and partying. I want a different experience from California because I have lived here most of my life . The main issue is the high cost of living with rent. I can't make ends meet too well with the rent honestly..

Last edited by sidneyinmyeyes34; 09-13-2019 at 10:57 PM..

Old 09-14-2019, 08:02 AM

7,077 posts, read 8,936,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyinmyeyes34 View Post
I know that U of Dayton has reputation for being a party school but Im not really looking for that.. Im kind of through that phase of hardcore drinking and partying.
The area where a lot of the students live is known as “the ghetto” it has been known to get crazy on St. Patrick’s Day, or if UD does well during March Madness. As long as you don’t live in that area it’s not a problem.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:45 AM

13,646 posts, read 9,701,990 times
UD's student-population is more privileged than that of competing local schools. It is also more "settled", in the sense of living in dorms or nearby housing, rather than commuting from the parental home. It's the closest to being a traditional college, that the entire region has (the nearest competition being Miami U, in Oxford OH - maybe also a place to consider for the OP?). That might account for a "party" reputation. But as an instructor, I've never seen drunk students, or heard stories of homework not getting done, because partying took priority.

Presumably tuition is a far larger cost than rent. I'd worry more about finding a scholarship or some other means of reducing tuition, than about choosing a locale with lower cost of living. Tuition-free study at UCLA, even if you're paying market-rates to share an apartment in Westwood, is a lot cheaper than paying full-tuition at UD, even if room and board were somehow free.

If tuition isn't the prime consideration, and the Midwest for whatever reason offers appeal, than most of the Big-10 schools (which will charge you out-of-state tuition) offer good music-departments. One example is the University of Michigan, which has the advantage of being in a nationally-famous quintessential college town: Ann Arbor.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:41 PM

ULCA was among my choices, I wasn't accepted. Im second bachelors degree student and there is a ban on second bachelors degree students attending universities in California like Cal States and UCs so I have to attend out of state schools or private universities. Most the private universities are really expensive in California so.. on top other things like rent, and other payments I think I have to figure something out. I think you have a good point. Ann Arbor seems cool, its colder than Dayton because its further north.

Last edited by sidneyinmyeyes34; 09-14-2019 at 02:05 PM..

Old 09-14-2019, 03:54 PM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times
UD? ah yes... who remembers?

the Dirty Deli.

Moonlight Bar

Timothy's

the Cashba

Dottie's

the Shed

the Pine Club

Alexander's

the Red Barn

Baujan Field

Professor Kerns

am I dating myself?

great school and college community still today

Old 09-15-2019, 05:28 AM

908 posts, read 1,417,714 times
One of the few strengths of Wright State is its performing arts department, and older students would fit in a lot more there.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:09 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,416,572 times
Skeddy, you are of my vintage. It was the best of times, it was the best of times. Go flyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton