Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 11:39 AM

7,077 posts, read 8,937,659 times

Advertisements

It doesn’t matter if you live outside of the city limits, if you work in any incorporated municipality you will have the local income tax with held.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 01:22 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
I think Washington makes most of that difference in revenue up in sales tax, am I correct? Some of the Seattle suburbs have sales tax rates of near or over 10%. While Hamilton County is high (IMO) at 7.80%, most surrounding counties are 7% or less.

In Kentucky, property taxes are nearly half (at least in comparison to my condo) and our sales tax is capped state-wide at 6%. But we make it up in a slightly higher state income tax rate.

Regardless, it really depends on where you are coming from in Washington and comparing it to where you are now outside Cincinnati. Moving from Bellevue to Mariemont you will see a huge swing in property taxes from relocating to a bedroom, non-commercial community alone. Mariemont just being an example.

Since you stated you will be in an unincorporated township, the lack of a local income tax tends to drive property taxes higher. Even though there may not be as many services, it seems property taxes are always a bit higher in townships versus a city (unless that city is older urban or inner-ring areas, such as Cincinnati or Mariemont).
7.7% sales tax here so no pretty much right on par with Cincinnati area and there is no sales tax right across the river in Oregon(where they have high income tax instead). Making southern WA a bit of a tax haven. B&O taxes were considered abnormal here, but Ohio added those in 2010 as well. So basically Ohio filled in the multiple choice question on what type of taxes with "all of the above" and at moderate to high levels. Government services in Ohio must be excellent? Yet schools, roads, infrastructure, etc are all better here.

4 million more residents in Ohio to spread the burden around, though population is growing in WA and shrinking in OH. Gas taxes are about 10 cents higher. WA does have major trade ports, lumber industry, and of course all the Seattle tech companies bringing in money. But Ohio has plenty of big business too with 27 Fortune 500s vs just 11 in WA. Huge swaths of WA land(28%) are federally owned/managed forest. Avoiding covid impacts, the 2019 WA state tax revenues were $25 billion, OH's were $33 billion And OH takes a lot of assistance from the feds($12.5 billion), while WA is a contributor. Something doesn't add up.

Somewhat comparable locations. Suburb of a city that's across the river from another city in another state. Just with the inverse relationship and the airport on the other side of the river.

It's Clermont county with above average schools. But even up in Huber Heights with outright failing schools property taxes were high(3x the rate here).

Old 06-14-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
It doesn’t matter if you live outside of the city limits, if you work in any incorporated municipality you will have the local income tax with held.
Work remotely, so home is the tax basis.

Old 06-15-2021, 07:12 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Work remotely, so home is the tax basis.
That is not an option for most people.

Old 06-15-2021, 09:00 AM

But it is for a lot more people now than it was just a year ago.

Old 07-22-2021, 07:31 AM

183 posts, read 196,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
4 million more residents in Ohio to spread the burden around, though population is growing in WA and shrinking in OH. .

Ohio is not losing population. There was an increase of 2.3% between 2010 and 2020. Not growing as fast as out West, but still growing.

Old 09-05-2021, 11:36 AM

723 posts, read 570,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All I can tell you is that so far, Xenia is still on my list as far as relocation goes. In fact, it's right up there with Beavercreek and Kettering and Centerville.
Of course, Beavercreek and Xenia share the additional advantage of being located outside of Montgomery County.

Last time I checked, Montgomery County had the second-highest combined taxes (property, income, and sales) out of all 88 Ohio counties.

Property taxes in Montgomery County are particularly obscene. Mine has literally more than doubled in the 12 years I have owned my humble 3 BR/2B brick ranch. All three County commissioners are Democrats, and the fiscal black hole that is Dayton is in Montgomery County. In Ohio, property taxes fund the local schools (even though the practice was deemed unconstitutional years ago, nothing changed). Centerville likes to crow about its wonderful school system, but several of my very good friends moved from Centerville as soon as their last kid graduated high school.

Last edited by OHNot4Me; 09-05-2021 at 11:54 AM..

Old 09-05-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Property taxes in Ohio are reasonable by coastal standards (nothing like New Jersey or NY), but depending on the locality, they can easily run at 2% of the market value (not the assessed value!) of the house. So a $150K house in Beavercreek may have a $3000/year property tax bill. In the tonier towns, such as Oakwood (old-money inner-suburb of Dayton), the Beavercreek $150K house would fetch $250K, and would be taxed at maybe $5K-$6K/year.

Then there are the state and local income taxes, which apply to investment-income just as much as to wage-income.

In other words, I struggle to see how relocation from Texas to Ohio would mean a lower burden in taxes or maintenance-costs. Personally I'd be enthused about doing the exact opposite: moving from Ohio, to a drier (southwestern) part of Texas.
AGREED! Property taxes on my modest 1976 SF, 3BR/2B 1970s brick ranch in Centerville have risen from $2300 to an alarming $5200 this year. And no, I have not gutted and remodeled the place or added on rooms, etc. The problem is that voters in this community have never met a tax levy they didn't love, so your more affluent and politically liberal neighbors will vote for increased taxes every chance they get.

Old 09-05-2021, 12:08 PM

You can take a quick quiz to find out which places in the country best match your desires. You can also compare two places on the basis of Population, Cost of Living, Average Rent, Crime Rate, Tax Rates, Air Quality, Religion, Local Economy, Climate, and Weather.

I just took the quiz! And the AI suggested the Johnstown, PA area for me. Very interesting...

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2021 at 10:53 PM..

Old 09-07-2021, 06:21 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
I just took the quiz! And the AI suggested the Johnstown, PA area for me. Very interesting...
Make certain the dams are now in good repair and can withstand 10-20 inches of rain in a single day. The recent Tennessee flood was triggered by 17 inches of rain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnstown_Flood

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2021 at 10:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton