Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 06:00 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times

Advertisements

If I can save money I'm in as long as I use the product. I use coupons, e-mail companies for more coupons, use rebates and rain checks. If it is a larger ticket item I "always" ask for a discount or free delivery. Hey, what's the worst that can happen "they say no"?

When we were in FL, Super Walmart matched prices for all the grocery circulars each week. You think it's bad behind a person with a few coupons? My husband wouldn't even go into Walmart-mart with me on those days. If they offer it I will take advantage of it.

Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 06:59 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
We almost always buy the generic/store brand alternative if one exists for an item. The savings are usually much better than buying the brand name product with a coupon.
this. generally there's not much difference between store brand and name brand. it took being super poor and living alone to figure that out.

and sometimes i do use coupons when i have the time for it.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:20 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,010 times
I believe there is a LOT of difference and some of the stuff offbrand is just NASTY to me.

I safe from 25 to 50 per shopping ( on a normal trip) on grocerys and paperproducts. To me thats worth it and if I can get the good stuff for the same Price as the OPFFbrand just by doing some work at home with Coupons ,cool beans !
Sorry if I hold up the Line Wait NO I am not, there is other Lines open you are FREE to move to them lol
Even youre dirty looks dont bother me, the constant sighing does not bother me I just smile and then GRIN and say hey I just saved $35 on all this, when the bill to begin was 80 some. So... pretty cool ! Thats normally when those People 's Jaw falls on the ground... hahaha

We were really poor, and I mean poor enough to have to choose on some day's that the KIDS eat and us parents would go hungry. ( yes first marriage was rough at the least)

And still some off brand stuff was plain nasty. I do buy some but I am know which ones NOT to get again

I thought maybe the Couponers here would get together and exchange ideas.

I go thru my Org. every Week ( monday) and go thru the Papers on whats on SALE only. Then look for coupon for it. ( my stores very rarly have double coupons).

Does anyone have use for ex. coupons? I have about 500+ only people with the Service can use those.

I also do the Free stuff from companys. I get free Lotions, candles, t-shirts, rasors, Shampoos, Toilet paper, Papertowls...... you name it

Also cool site is hot coupon world. Check it out

Old 10-10-2008, 09:51 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times
Whenever I read about how some woman cuts her food bill in half by couponing I have to ask myself what the heck does she buy. I have found that a large percentage of coupons I come across are for packaged food products and very few are for the fresh items like produce and fish that constitute the majority of my shopping. Certainly there are exceptions but not often enough to warrant my time. I also find some for things like cleaning products which are sometimes useful but again, I usually look for "green" cleaners which are not often couponed. When I decided to change my eating habits about 6 months ago to lose weight (almost 30 pounds so far) I stopped buying pre-packaged food and switched to mostly chicken, fish, healthy grain products and lots of produce. There are just too few coupons for this type of purchase to make it worthwhile to scour the Sunday inserts for coupons.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:08 AM

534 posts, read 1,594,429 times
I used to be a coupon queen about 10 years ago. My MIL never used coupons and bought everything at the grocery store. She would never go to Wal-Mart or Target to get something for cheaper...ever. I couldn't imagine doing that.

Well, now I don't use coupons at all. First, I don't feel like spending the gas to go to the store every Sunday to buy a paper to get the coupons. To do a subscription for the paper where we live would cost more then any savings I would get with coupons.

It's just my husband and myself. We have no kids or pets and it will always be just us. I go to Wal-mart get what I need to make dinner and that's it. I do watch the grocery store ads and buy anything on sale that we use. We also do the bulk of our shopping at Sam's club. For a lot of the stuff we use, it's cheaper there then at a store with a coupon. When you buy bulk, you don't have to shop as often..

Old 10-11-2008, 04:31 AM

13 posts, read 62,905 times
Me. Both online and offline coupons.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:11 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Whenever I read about how some woman cuts her food bill in half by couponing I have to ask myself what the heck does she buy. I have found that a large percentage of coupons I come across are for packaged food products and very few are for the fresh items like produce and fish that constitute the majority of my shopping. Certainly there are exceptions but not often enough to warrant my time. I also find some for things like cleaning products which are sometimes useful but again, I usually look for "green" cleaners which are not often couponed. When I decided to change my eating habits about 6 months ago to lose weight (almost 30 pounds so far) I stopped buying pre-packaged food and switched to mostly chicken, fish, healthy grain products and lots of produce. There are just too few coupons for this type of purchase to make it worthwhile to scour the Sunday inserts for coupons.
yes, unfortunately, fresh, healthy food and all this "green" crap is too expensive for the people who actually need it. in the meantime, poor people will continue to be forced to buy processed crap and get fatter.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:59 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,001 times
I like using coupons but when I need the product, I usually can't find the coupon. As soon as I return home, I will come across the coupon. It is very frustrating. The other frustrating thing about coupons for me is when I buy a product, then the cashier gives me the receipt only to hand me a coupon for something I just bought, ugh!!! Sometimes I will look at the person next in line to see if they have the product and just hand them the coupon because I know next time, I will not have the coupon with me. I guess that is something.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:57 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Get a coupon organizer, sort them by category and date - USE it I go through mine when the sale fliers come out (I have two as I previously described my categories), just clip the coupons right to the ad, also take it with you to the store (the ad and the organizer). I have an Env. also that I put store-specific coupons in, if one prints out either save it for a future possible sale or if the item is already on sale, just get another and use that coupon. Coupons can't help you save money if you aren't using them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
I like using coupons but when I need the product, I usually can't find the coupon. As soon as I return home, I will come across the coupon. It is very frustrating. The other frustrating thing about coupons for me is when I buy a product, then the cashier gives me the receipt only to hand me a coupon for something I just bought, ugh!!! Sometimes I will look at the person next in line to see if they have the product and just hand them the coupon because I know next time, I will not have the coupon with me. I guess that is something.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:50 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,010 times
I go thru mine every Monday, its all orginized.
There is MANY other ways to get coupons besides the sunday paper, which I dont use often either because I dont want to run into town for just that.
Ebay, hot coupon world, are the 2, I use for my coupons.

No meat and fish arnt normally on coupons for me neither( but yes you can find them)
BUT being I have coupons for all other stuff and save big there I can USE what I saved on the MEAT and FISH
Rice, grains and so on I have coupons for. I also have coupons for Salads

If I did not do the coupons, there would be less fish and healthy stuff see it all works out .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff