Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 06:53 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweeaz View Post
Elizamary,
Thanks for letting me blow off some steam. I salute you for finding what you and your hubby want for now and will cross the other bridges as you come to them. Everyone could benefit by having a little of your attitude. I sometimes tend to worry too much about the future and forget that there's still the present to enjoy to the fullest. Thanks for reminding me.
Well..........everyone has to blow off steam once in a while. It's healthy really.
That has to be my attitude now or I would be miserable with worry. So I figured tomorrow I may not wake up and what good did the worry do? Spend my life worrying then die...........I dont' think so.

But it is good to have a plan and be prepared as much as you can. This is good and if you are young enough, you can perhaps plan better for the future but dont' dwell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 4,204 times
My sister is moving to Dover, Delaware to take a job at the Delaware state University. She will be living with her 82 year old mother. She needs an appartment near DSU and in a safe neighborhood. She would prefer to be in a place where mother would be able to walk around and go to grocery shops. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:11 PM

43 posts, read 53,647 times
Smile Finally!!!

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. I just wanted to give an update. We finally found a home to rent!!! I hope that those of you who have also posted on here looking for information about moving have found somewhere to live too.

I do have to say that it was pretty frustrating trying to rent from 1300 miles away. We found agents that rented houses who had policies like: "we don't have pictures of our rentals" and "you (or someone on your behalf) must come visit the property in person or we won't rent to you". I really got the impression that renting properties was not a real priority for some of them.

However, when we found ads in the paper and called 'private' owners (usually people who owned about 1 - 4 rental properties) they were exceptionally helpful. We ended up renting a house from a nice lady who listed the house on either Dover Post Online or newszap.com. The house is only a few miles from DSU, too.

We are arriving in Dover in a couple of weeks and we are really looking forward to getting to know our new city.

LA

Old 07-29-2007, 10:20 AM

199 posts, read 938,313 times
lash5107,

I hope once you get settled in you won't forget us here on the forum. Those of us roaming around like we're lost grasping for straws, looking for info to help us make the right decision about moving. Good luck to you and yours. I also found the Denver Post (thanks to you guys/gals on this forum) to be very helpful. I guess realtors who do both sales and property management don't like the latter because it's too much work. Plus they get their fees monthly as a percentage of the monthly rent. The listing and sales commissions are given at the settlement table when the hogs divvy up the trough after the 100 pieces of paper are signed.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:15 AM

1 posts, read 4,154 times
Lash5107,

Some neighborhoods in dover that arent very good places are: manchester square, Dover east, Barrister place, Capital green, Capital park, Mapleton square, country club, watcoat village, and Woodcres. Living in town isnt too bad but streets like kirkwood, and queens street arent too great. If you're looking to rent an apartment somewhere i'd recomend Woodmill, Baytree, or village of westover. Maybe country village, thats where i live : ) great management here. Its cheap and right in the city

Old 08-14-2007, 02:55 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,682,024 times
Kirkwood, Queen, and even parts of New Street have been undesirable for decades. I lived a few blocks over on Bradford St and felt very safe

Old 08-15-2007, 09:25 PM

Thumbs up We're here!

Well, we've been here since Friday, almost a week now; our stuff just arrived from "Smart Move" yesterday.

The house we are renting is in an area called Fairview. It is a really quiet area, people are friendly, and it is a great area to walk our dog. I can be at the Washington Avenue entrance to Silver Lake Park in about 10 minutes walk.

So now we have our stuff, we got phone and internet yesterday and cable today.

Now I have to find a job!

So far so good. Thanks to everyone who responded to my post!

LA

Old 08-16-2007, 07:41 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lash5107 View Post
Well, we've been here since Friday, almost a week now; our stuff just arrived from "Smart Move" yesterday.

The house we are renting is in an area called Fairview. It is a really quiet area, people are friendly, and it is a great area to walk our dog. I can be at the Washington Avenue entrance to Silver Lake Park in about 10 minutes walk.

So now we have our stuff, we got phone and internet yesterday and cable today.

Now I have to find a job!

So far so good. Thanks to everyone who responded to my post!

LA
You sound relieved............Like Whew! That is a big step in life. Good luck to you

Also, I love Silver Lake. Try The lobby house restaurant. You can eat in doors or out doors. The restauant overlooks silver lake. the area is very peaceful

Old 08-16-2007, 01:12 PM

Yes! I am SO relieved...and I think I see and end to the boxes that need to be unpacked.

Silver Lake seems nice, but I wish there was more public land (trails or walking paths) around the lake. It seems like a lot of the lakefront is private property.

Thanks for the restaurant recommendation...I'm sure we will give it a try!

LA

Old 08-23-2007, 08:22 AM

113 posts, read 482,475 times
Hi LA,

I'm not a Dover resident, but we have spent a lot of time here with family. Our twins and their cousins have enjoyed each others' company for most of several summers. The girls are back in New Jersey (where we rent) with their father, and I'll be back with the gang next weekend. Just doing a few further explorations of this area while I have a chance. We've all but decided though that Delaware, while it has some good things going for it, isn't the place for us.

I ,too, was disappointed by Silver Lake's lack of public areas too. Just a small park, and all the rest is privately owned. You can drive about half an hour south on Route 13 to Killens Pond State Park. We've walked trails there around the lake, and there's quite a lot of land. Only thing is, at either Silver Lake Park or Killens Pond, I wouldn't feel comfortable by myself. Go to Silver Lake when there are quite a few people around.

Elizamary, I've heard a little about that restaurant, though we haven't gone there during our visits. There was a lovely restaurant called The Blue Coat Inn on Silver Lake, but they tore it down! I think that Dover will eventually get all the good stores--maybe they'll get Ikea, an Outback, Barnes and Noble, Borders, a Whole Foods, etc. I was so surprised when we first visited at the things that this area lacked, but little by little!

Thanks to you, Eliza and Peeweeaz, for posting a lot of good information here. RossC is an interesting, well-informed poster too. One of my relatives said she's going to take over here when I leave for NJ. I told her not to use my name!

My husband recently returned from a lonnnnng trip West, mostly work related, but guess where he wants to live now? San Francisco, which I know we can't afford, or possibly Portland OR, which I have no info about whatsoever. Oh dear.

Best to all here!

Julie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware