Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 09:15 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,794,080 times

Advertisements

I hate to post this on Thanksgiving but I'm so aggravated by not only the crime but the reporting of this crime.

Its on the THIRD page of the local section in the News Journal and it seems the boy was shot in a trailer park in Magnolia. The 18 year old man that shot him has still not been located.

Has violent crime in this state risen to the level thats its commonplace? When are the residents of Delaware gonna get off there high horse and realize that every crime outside of Wilmington isn't an isolated incident.

My heart and prayers go out to the little boys family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 09:35 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,983,409 times
I know, this was sickening. I'm sure we'll see more coverage of it. Perhaps at this point there weren't enough facts established to have much to report. Rather shocked it happened in a little place like Magnolia. My impression is that rural DE seems to have a surprising level of youth crime. It actually seems to me that we see a lot of youth crime being committed in southern/southwestern Sussex County. Some efforts at state, county and municipal levels are certainly needed to try to understand what exactly is happening and how to intervene preventively. Unquestionably, however, most of this stuff is correlated with poverty and social disadvantage (note: I said "correlated with", not "caused by").

Old 11-25-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I know, this was sickening. I'm sure we'll see more coverage of it. Perhaps at this point there weren't enough facts established to have much to report. Rather shocked it happened in a little place like Magnolia. My impression is that rural DE seems to have a surprising level of youth crime. It actually seems to me that we see a lot of youth crime being committed in southern/southwestern Sussex County. Some efforts at state, county and municipal levels are certainly needed to try to understand what exactly is happening and how to intervene preventively. Unquestionably, however, most of this stuff is correlated with poverty and social disadvantage (note: I said "correlated with", not "caused by").
Exactly right, In my opinion.

BTW, did you ever look at some of the Delmarva's news sources wow, the News Journal doesn't print half the stuff going on below the canal.

Last edited by James420; 11-25-2010 at 10:17 AM..

Old 11-25-2010, 10:15 AM

177 posts, read 687,401 times
Such horrific crimes happen every day and we've become desensitized to it, what a shame!

Here is a link to delawareonline about the shooting.

Delaware crime: 11-year-old Magnolia boy fatally shot | delawareonline.com | The News Journal

Old 11-25-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RehobothBeachDela_where View Post
Such horrific crimes happen every day and we've become desensitized to it, what a shame!

Here is a link to delawareonline about the shooting.

Delaware crime: 11-year-old Magnolia boy fatally shot | delawareonline.com | The News Journal
A news source in Salsbury is calling it murder, I think its Channel 16 news. I'm to much of a moron to figure out how to post a link.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:57 AM

Another thing thats been bothering me, How convienent was our esteemed Attorney Generals "mild" stroke TWO days after the Bradley report came out. Now thats what I call timing.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:19 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,818 times
how sad and tragic . my kids are that age - unbelievable.

Of course lots of things came together in this and many other cases .... but I simply hate, hate, hate, how easily just anybody can go to walmart and get himself a gun.

My heart goes to the family .

Old 11-25-2010, 01:35 PM

9,727 posts, read 14,271,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
doctorjef - That specific area is really rough, and always has been. Nascar Lane is not located in the Town of Magnolia, but about 2 miles west of Magnolia, across from Southwood Acres Mobile Home Park. The 19962 Zip Code indicates "Magnolia" but that covers a wide area, such as with "Wilmington". The Town of Magnolia consists of mostly local retirees....a nice little town with one intersection and a traffic light. But yes, youth crime is on the rise in Kent and Sussex, also. See below, regarding gang activity.

Last edited by rdlr; 11-25-2010 at 02:07 PM..

Old 11-25-2010, 02:04 PM

9,727 posts, read 14,271,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Has violent crime in this state risen to the level thats its commonplace? When are the residents of Delaware gonna get off there high horse and realize that every crime outside of Wilmington isn't an isolated incident.
James, it's out there now, we all know it. I'll admit that I was in denial until quite recently. Here's a link regarding Dover's gangs, but we all know that these 16 gangs are not limited to just the City of Dover. They've spilled over into nearby rural areas, and even down to the beach.
Chief reiterates need for more officers to combat gangs - Dover, DE - Dover Post

Old 11-25-2010, 10:58 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,192,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
A news source in Salsbury is calling it murder, I think its Channel 16 news. I'm to much of a moron to figure out how to post a link.
.::. WMDT 47 News Delmarvas Choice .::. (http://www.wmdt.com/Delmarvas-Top-News-Stories.aspx?item=11588 - broken link)
http://www.wboc.com/Global/story.asp?S=13567880

Links to story on both channels covering Lower De.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware