Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 12:12 PM

711 posts, read 1,499,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
just as more recent military adventures abroad have run up the national debt to the point that there is no political will to support the kind of domestic investment in our country that could make a huge difference to the way the people of this country live.
doctorjef i agree with alot of good points you make and just want to say that people in poverty will never understand how we had billion's to spend each week 52 x 10 years since 9/11 we been at war. Yet it still goes on.

Now as for the pics i posted, I have been thru the hood's like Liberty City Miami Fla, and all over the south but at least its warm down there, If you notice in the pics the people have no windows so they gotta have more then just cold hearts. Jan-March people huddle up with no heat or windows, which is why they look extra spooky in the eyes from this area. People in the city of Wilmington are way more Goonish then most other citites, its just the way it is. Think about it we right in the middle of Chester PA & Baltimore...Its the Realness....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 04:02 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,273,039 times
Quote:
Needless to say Philly, KC and Houston are all way larger than the City of Wilmington; hence more diverse and with a much better tax base.
Not sure that they are more diverse nor have more tax revenue on a per capita basis. Happy to be proven otherwise. Regardless, this is not my point and it that does not negate my personal assessment that the good folks of Wilmington lack the same level of pride and sense of ownership in the city as I've seen elsewhere. In addition to the three cities I mentioned, I've also lived in metro Boston and Blacksburg, Virginia. Of all of these, Wilmingtonians have been the most apathetic about their hometown. In other places I've lived, it is much more commonplace to hear folks tout their cities. It's unfortunate, because there is much to recommend Wilmington.

Regarding the following:
Quote:
If the City of Wilmington included all its immediately surrounding suburbs, things would be much different. You would have much greater diversity, a far healthier tax base, and more civic pride in what would be a far larger city. However, that clearly isn't the Delaware way, whether good or bad (unfortunate for the residents of within the city limits, I think; perhaps at least partly desirable situation for all of us outside the city limits).
A larger population along does not account for the level of pride one has in one's city. In fact, this assertion seems to be negated by the 2nd bolded point, which has particular resonance with me. I've experienced folks in greater Wilmington as particularly down on the city itself. When I was transferred to Wilmington twice, I was seen as unusual in wanting to live in the city. I never got this response when I moved inside the city limits of the other metro areas I've moved to (in fact, in my latest move I was told I'd be crazy not to move in Center City Philly). This only re-enforces my belief that there is at best an apathy toward Wilmington by its residents, if not an antipathy.

This isn't meant as a slam, just an obervation. After all, I chose to live in Trolley Square at two points in my life.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:33 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,796,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
doctorjef i agree with alot of good points you make and just want to say that people in poverty will never understand how we had billion's to spend each week 52 x 10 years since 9/11 we been at war. Yet it still goes on.

Now as for the pics i posted, I have been thru the hood's like Liberty City Miami Fla, and all over the south but at least its warm down there, If you notice in the pics the people have no windows so they gotta have more then just cold hearts. Jan-March people huddle up with no heat or windows, which is why they look extra spooky in the eyes from this area. People in the city of Wilmington are way more Goonish then most other citites, its just the way it is. Think about it we right in the middle of Chester PA & Baltimore...Its the Realness....
Wilimingtons problem is being stuck between New york and D.C on 95. plus Wilmington is really the last city untill Baltimore on 95. The Boston to D.C coridoor on 95 is riddled with drug runners and gangs, plus the 1%ers that have a huge influence in this area through Dover into Ocean City, and Delaware County PA. Although Rt 40 and 301 are outside of Wilmington they are two major drug routes because those rts don't usually have the police presence that 95 has. Coming out of Philly to Delaware leads to all these roads that lead one way or another to Baltimore and then D.C. If anyone needs proof just ask some lower Delaware police officers about drugs through Seaford and Dover all the way to the beaches. Or Bear through Elkton.

The best thing IMHO that could happen to Wilmington is closing 95 through the city and making everyone use 495. At least it would be a start.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:37 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,419,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Wilimingtons problem is being stuck between New york and D.C on 95. plus Wilmington is really the last city untill Baltimore on 95. The Boston to D.C coridoor on 95 is riddled with drug runners and gangs, plus the 1%ers that have a huge influence in this area through Dover into Ocean City, and Delaware County PA. Although Rt 40 and 301 are outside of Wilmington they are two major drug routes because those rts don't usually have the police presence that 95 has. Coming out of Philly to Delaware leads to all these roads that lead one way or another to Baltimore and then D.C. If anyone needs proof just ask some lower Delaware police officers about drugs through Seaford and Dover all the way to the beaches. Or Bear through Elkton.

The best thing IMHO that could happen to Wilmington is closing 95 through the city and making everyone use 495. At least it would be a start.
I have many friends who think that 495 doesn't go through the City of Wilmington - it definitely does for about the same exits as does I-95... just about 15 blocks east.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:45 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,989,903 times
If the unincorporated suburbs surrounding the City of Wilmington were part of the City, the attitudes of citizens living in those areas of what would then be part of the City might be quite different -- after all, Wilmington would then be their city in a real, meaningful way, economically, politically, and in terms of identity.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
I have many friends who think that 495 doesn't go through the City of Wilmington - it definitely does for about the same exits as does I-95... just about 15 blocks east.
495 misses one key exit, MLK Blvd. Yea I know 12th street, but at least it doesn't go through the center, and on the subject of Wilmington, staying away from east of Market street is the safe way to go. The rest of the city isn't really all that bad.

I think doctorjef has made the best points on this subject, heck I'm even crossing my fingers that Wilmington gets its own school district back.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:37 AM

Default Poverty "intown"

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
495 misses one key exit, MLK Blvd. Yea I know 12th street, but at least it doesn't go through the center, and on the subject of Wilmington, staying away from east of Market street is the safe way to go. The rest of the city isn't really all that bad.

I think doctorjef has made the best points on this subject, heck I'm even crossing my fingers that Wilmington gets its own school district back.
I dont know man, the 12th street exit on 495 takes you right to riverside which is east of Market street and the most "ghetto" part of DE plus the other exit from 495 goes thru South Bridge. On the other hand the MLK exit off I95 is one turn off Madison Street (West Side) which most kids consider the "Heart of the City" and home of the teenage killers. Plus the 202 exit going "intown" takes you to Concord Ave which goes to North Market. Nevermind fuch it b/c its almost all bad...

doctorjef does have some very good points...

Old 05-01-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
I dont know man, the 12th street exit on 495 takes you right to riverside which is east of Market street and the most "ghetto" part of DE plus the other exit from 495 goes thru South Bridge. On the other hand the MLK exit off I95 is one turn off Madison Street (West Side) which most kids consider the "Heart of the City" and home of the teenage killers. Plus the 202 exit going "intown" takes you to Concord Ave which goes to North Market. Nevermind fuch it b/c its almost all bad...

doctorjef does have some very good points...

Yea 12th street doesn't do any favors, but I think you'd be surprised about other ghettos/projects around the state. Delaware ranks as the 7th most dangerous state to live in, and it isn't all Wilmington.

I like Market St near Rodney Square and of course Trolley Square and Rockford Park. I'm usually in the city 2 or 3 times a week in those areas and have a good time. Like any city there are good and bad parts. I don't think Wilmington is remarkable one way or another.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:54 AM

Yea, Trolley Sq and other parts outside of the "inner" city are nice but your right b/c some of the trailer parks deep down state from Harrington thru to Seaford all the way down to Salisbury MD can be wild also...

Maybe the person who made the thread stays in Newcastle?

Old 05-01-2011, 01:53 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,419,035 times
Actually, I believe crime is fairly evenly distributed on both sides of Market Street, as the west side of Wilmington is probably 55% of Wilmington. West Center City and Quaker Hill are both west of Market.

The only truly decent "side" of Wilmington is the northwestern portion starting with Delaware Ave and going up through 40 acres, Rockford, etc.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware