Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 08:57 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,295,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
My point about east Wilmington isn't about the crime, but more about the scarier areas of Wilmington. We can go on and on about this. Wilmington is what it is, a small city on the 95 corridor with alot of crime. Some nice areas and some bad. Newark,NJ Camden, Chester and Wilmington. All the same to me.
For a city its size, Wilmington does have a quite a lot of crime and poverty, but it is not in as bad shape as Camden and Chester:

Serious crime rates 2009 (total/100,000 people)
Wilmington: 810.5
Camden: 1007.2
Chester: 923.8

Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Wilmington: 21.7%
Camden: 35.9%
Chester: 31.3%

Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Wilmington: 10.4%
Camden: 17.9%
Chester: 14.9%

We've established Wilmington has its share of crime and poverty. Is there another point to be made here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 11:10 PM

711 posts, read 1,501,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
We've established Wilmington has its share of crime and poverty. Is there another point to be made here?
Yea, what drastic steps in the right direction are we taking to stop it?

"Its Hell on Earth out there the pavement's scorching"

Old 05-03-2011, 05:59 AM

4,726 posts, read 12,007,377 times
Well, of course, the State Police are supposed to now be assisting with street patrol. I haven't actually seen them, but I would think that should be at night since that's when the violent crime is most apt to occur. But I don't think policing itself is by any means enough. A critical mass of the citizenry in those blighted areas will have to rise up and reject criminality, actively ejecting the criminals in their midst from the community. Can that happen? Yes. Is it likely to happen? Who knows. Apart from that, America has to quit treating people as mere unnecessary surplus. It will take a tremendous amount of economic investment to train and employ people, provide them with decent housing and secure communities. This is more than Delaware or the City of Wilmington can do by themselves. America can't do it either while spending bizillions on the military-industrial complex, engaging in ill-conceived and reactive military adventures abroad, and allowing itself to be led by a greedy kleptocracy of plutocrats who are progressively destroying the middle class. In the end, if America does not invest in its people there will be anarchy and authentic revolution -- and not the sort of faux revolt envisioned by Tea Partiers in thrall to the likes of the Koch brothers and Donald Trump and their ideological mouthpieces in Congress such as Michele Bachman, Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell. However, the electorate as a whole will have to reject those robber barons and their lackeys, and instead adopt communitarian values that prioritise people above profits.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
Yea, what drastic steps in the right direction are we taking to stop it?

"Its Hell on Earth out there the pavement's scorching"
Ask yourself. I am busy volunteering in my own community. As a concerned resident of Wilmington, what ideas do you have? More importantly, what efforts are you personally willing to invest in making your city better?

Old 05-03-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Ask yourself. I am busy volunteering in my own community. As a concerned resident of Wilmington, what ideas do you have? More importantly, what efforts are you personally willing to invest in making your city better?
I currently work with "at risk kids" from Madison St (William Hicks Center) & kids from Pine Street (Bancroft). Trust me I have done this for years, promise you that. Just this year one already get shot on Madison who is a very nice kid (non thug) he was a hurricane katrina victim and his family moved here to start over. But sadly he found the city of Wilmington is just as dangerous (pound for pound) as the ghetto in New Orleans. He is only 16 and took a .45 caliber bullet to the stomach and lived, thats a good thing. But the Poverty, Drugs and Violence are so bad "intown" 85% of those kids in there dont have a real chance.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I currently work with "at risk kids" from Madison St (William Hicks Center) & kids from Pine Street (Bancroft). Trust me I have done this for years, promise you that. Just this year one already get shot on Madison who is a very nice kid (non thug) he was a hurricane katrina victim and his family moved here to start over. But sadly he found the city of Wilmington is just as dangerous (pound for pound) as the ghetto in New Orleans. He is only 16 and took a .45 caliber bullet to the stomach and lived, thats a good thing. But the Poverty, Drugs and Violence are so bad "intown" 85% of those kids in there dont have a real chance.
Good for you There will always be poverty and crime. When looking at the big picture, the problems often seem overwhelming. If you can reach one or two folks at a time, you are making a tremendous difference.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Good for you There will always be poverty and crime. When looking at the big picture, the problems often seem overwhelming. If you can reach one or two folks at a time, you are making a tremendous difference.
Thanks man I really appreciate those kind words. I really like the city-data forums b/c it shows alot of us care about our city of Wilmington. It does have alot of potential to change for the better. We have the power of the net to communicate on a new level now. Coming on here I realize other people want there voice heard also. Obviously people need to come together if we want these problems fixed before they start to carry over to future generations...

Old 05-03-2011, 01:49 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,803,024 times
Quote:
For a city its size, Wilmington does have a quite a lot of crime and poverty, but it is not in as bad shape as Camden and Chester:

Serious crime rates 2009 (total/100,000 people)
Wilmington: 810.5
Camden: 1007.2
Chester: 923.8

Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Wilmington: 21.7%
Camden: 35.9%
Chester: 31.3%

Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Wilmington: 10.4%
Camden: 17.9%
Chester: 14.9%

No there isn't another point to be made I respnded to a post thats it...Btw check the numbers for 2010. 2009 was a good year compared to 2010, and 2011 isn't going much better.

My point is education, and when its starts working in the inner cities all over the country we won't have these problems.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:25 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,424,012 times
Quote:
Im not sure where you got this info from b/c I seen those projects in the 90's and then again with my own eyes this week. They say Riverside is the bucket and its all still there right now. I think they took down some projects in Eastlake which is across from riverside tho. IDK, can anyone confirm this with pics?

Read the first part of this....

Brown's tale will make you believe

Also check this out...

http://www.wilmingtonde.gov/pdf/FY2006-FY2010_Executive_Summary.pdf (broken link)

I'm thinking you may be pretty young. The bucket was eastlake, which was knocked down in the late 90s. There are now new townhomes there. Riverside is a separate ghetto from the bucket, as were the Southbridge projects.

"The Eastlake neighborhood was known as “the Bucket.” The word was that if people lived in Eastlake, they had hit the bottom of the bucket. The 267-unit Eastlake public housing development, one of many in this crime-ridden neighborhood, was built in 1943. It had become dilapidated despite the best efforts of the Wilmington Housing Authority..."

http://www.housingfinance.com/ahf/ar...STLAKE0807.htm

Why they put a whole bunch of the same poor demographic in one community beats me. Horrible idea, really.

Last edited by Joe84323; 05-03-2011 at 09:34 PM..

Old 05-03-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
I'm thinking you may be pretty young. The bucket was eastlake, which was knocked down in the late 90s. There are now new townhomes there. Riverside is a separate ghetto from the bucket, as were the Southbridge projects.
Listen to this song its from 1989-90

YouTube - riverside,bucket,26 project x

Idk people intown say riverside is and always was the bucket. Is there any pics of the old Eastlake projects?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware