Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 10:09 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,634,512 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info about the clubhouse and pool. It saved us a trip down there. I want the amenities there before we buy. It really is a shame what some developers do to the owners AFTER they move in with their promises. Good luck and I hope it works out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 11:29 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,677,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Thanks for the info about the clubhouse and pool. It saved us a trip down there. I want the amenities there before we buy. It really is a shame what some developers do to the owners AFTER they move in with their promises. Good luck and I hope it works out.
Thats why the De threads are important with everyone putting an input. Different strokes for different folks.
And that is okay. Oh and don't settle........get what you want.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:40 AM

560 posts, read 916,696 times
Some words of clarification about Roesville. Some of you will read this entire post, some will think it too long. But I think it important to clear up a few exaggerations that have been written about this lovely community.

My husband and I began our search for a 55+ community in Delaware in 2008. Naturally we browsed the internet, sent away for brochures, and later visited the choices we made after viewing the literature. At the time, the Roesville literature (print and internet) was very clear in explaining that the clubhouse wasn't going to be built until there was approximately 50% occupancy, but depending on growth and demand, it might be built sooner. We were not deceived. (I should mention that there was a different sales person at the time who was not as cordial, patient, and informed as our Tammy is! Perhaps the other lady made statements that were not accurate. Needless to say, she doesn't work here anymore.)

The first time I visited Roesville there were only 4-5 homeowners. I was totally impressed with the homes, the standard features, the appearance of the community, the larger lots, the 5 different models and many exterior colors, etc. to choose from, and the distance from the Air Force Base noise. Equally important was the price...it fit our budget. We also learned that this was J.S. Hovnanian's first 55+ project in Delaware. I had seen a couple of his NJ communities and was impressed with the quality and the company's reputation. Then there was this downturn in the economy.

We spent a great deal of time researching the reputations of all of the builders of the communities that were on our list. We eliminated two communities because the developers were involved in lawsuits. I will not discuss in detail but suffice it to say that the lawsuits involved shoddy workmanship, unkept promises, and lack of follow-up for repairs, etc. J.S. Hov received an A+ from the BBB. We eliminated another beautiful community because there were excess HOA fees involving a golf course and a restaurant/clubhouse. Our list was whittled down to three communities...all three within the same base sales price, two with beautiful clubhouses already in place. After visiting each a third time, we finally decided on Roesville.

Why Roesville? It was new, small, very rural, and their was no clubhouse...sounds like all negatives or a red flag, doesn't it? Actually, those three reasons were the things we were looking for. New and small?? Yes, after living in several areas of the country where noise and traffic congestion were the norm, we wanted peace and quiet. Shopping is within a 10-15 minute drive, and beaches/cultural attractions, medical facilities are all close (but not too close). No clubhouse?? Another bad sign right? Not for our way of thinking. A clubhouse meant as much as an extra $250-300/month that did not seem like a bargain. Interestingly enough, when we visited other clubhouse communities (even the larger ones) most were under utilized...no one was in the indoor swimming pool or the exercise room, and outside on a hot afternoon there were 4-5 people sitting near the pool in the shade. We were told that there were often special events, parties, etc. where homeowners filled the places and enjoyed good times. OK...but was that worth the monthly fee? Hubby and I decided that we wouldn't get our money's worth...I don't like sitting in the sun, and he prefers sitting in a canoe to fish. Yes, we would love to have a nice big clubhouse, but we'd also like to share the expense with a larger number of homeowners...we know the HOA fee will increase in all of the communities in the future because of inflation,etc., but a starting price of $83/month is better than starting at $250 and going up.

Roesville is not lacking in social activity, however. We have a social committee that plans outings/trips to local attractions. We have a "men's group", a "ladies group", and an "everybody group" that have their own special activities. We have organized exercise programs, game night, movie night, a craft group, and a social committee that arranges trips/outings on a regular basis. We even have our own travel agent who is qualified to plan your vacation anywhere, anytime. The majority of our homeowners participate in and enjoy these social events. There are also homeowners who choose not to participate at all and who most likely will not participate even after the Lodge is built. That would be their choice and that's OK, too. It just proves that a large clubhouse is just a structure...it takes people to make a community.

The water situation:
55er neglected to mention a few details. After a couple of homeowners complained to Tidewater Utilities about the hardness of the water and the chlorine odor, the company sent representatives into our community. These representatives took time to arrange a meeting of all interested homeowners and offered an indepth presentation on the quality and source of our water supply. The water is tested frequently and found to be free of harmful bacteria and chemicals. The source of the water is deep underground wells. Well water, as you know, contains more minerals than water from reservoirs and is naturally a "hard" water. The only additive is chlorine for bacterial control. Tidewater Utilities recommended against expensive total home water filtration systems because they eliminate very little of the natural minerals, but you can buy one if you want. The rep also suggested that the chlorine odor/taste can be lessened with a simple charcoal filter attached to a faucet, or even the type used in a refrigerator water dispenser. In short, the water is completely safe.

So here are my suggestions: If you are already retired and looking for a 55+ community with a big clubhouse, swimming pools, etc. and must have that stuff right now, then Roesville might not be what you are looking for. But if you are in the early planning stages of your move to a 55+ Delaware community then your timing could be perfect. We will most likely have a completed clubhouse in a few years or less regardless of the 50% plan(definitely long before my "afterlife"). J.S. Hov knows what people want. He'll build it when the time is right and the economy improves. So don't rule out Roesville just yet.

Reading the posts from various homeowners in 55+ communities is an excellent place to start your research. But keep in mind that some "facts" are more "factual" than others, and personal experiences are just that...personal. Always make your choices based upon your own facts and experiences.

I think elizamary summed it up best..."Oh and don't settle........get what you want." We didn't "settle" and we definitely got what we wanted. We've been here since Oct. 2010 and are very, very happy.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:28 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,634,512 times
Default A clubhouse meant as much as an extra $250-300/month that did not seem like a bargain.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize having a clubhouse adds about 300 bucks to the monthly bill. Does having a community pool add a couple of hundred a month also? You got me thinking again. Are all the communities this expensive?

Old 06-12-2012, 09:01 AM

31 posts, read 80,577 times
Jersey Man

What continues to be a deception in Roesville, is what the builder continues to market on his billboard and his marketing literature, which is a 10,000 sq. ft. Lodge and an HOA fee of $140 I believe, which most likely won't come to fruition, given the fact that he's stated that the planned Lodge is a dream in these economic times.

So who benefits from this the most, IMO the builder. He saves money if the Lodge is voted to be downsized. And built into the home prices is the cost of a 10,000 sq. ft. facility , with an indoor pool. The indoor pool most likely will be nixed. Again, the builder benefits.

Yes, a $140 HOA fee is unlikely, and the 10,000 sq. ft. dream Lodge will most likely be downsized if the community votes in a smaller clubhouse.

Heritage Shores has a 25,000 sq. ft. clubhouse with an indoor pool and their current HOA fee is $235.00 a month. They have about 350 homes built out of 1200 planned. The golf course on site is public.

Independence has a 28,000 sq;. ft. clubhouse to include an indoor pool, no golf course and their HOA fee is around $300.00 per month.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize having a clubhouse adds about 300 bucks to the monthly bill. Does having a community pool add a couple of hundred a month also? You got me thinking again. Are all the communities this expensive?
Generally speaking, clubhouses do add a substantial amount to the monthly HOA dues. Also, in most of the 55+ communities the pool(s) is part of the clubhouse.
HOA fees vary from one community to another based upon the ammenities and the size of the community. I fair estimate of monthly HOA fees ranges from about $150 to over $300 per month. At Roesville we pay $83 dollars a month which pays for lawn mowing/trimming in season, and snow removal...streets, driveways, sidewalks...during the winter months. We do have a clubhouse (a Dartmouth model home) which is adequate for our homeowners at this time.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55erinDE View Post
Jersey Man

What continues to be a deception in Roesville, is what the builder continues to market on his billboard and his marketing literature, which is a 10,000 sq. ft. Lodge and an HOA fee of $140 I believe, which most likely won't come to fruition, given the fact that he's stated that the planned Lodge is a dream in these economic times.

So who benefits from this the most, IMO the builder. He saves money if the Lodge is voted to be downsized. And built into the home prices is the cost of a 10,000 sq. ft. facility , with an indoor pool. The indoor pool most likely will be nixed. Again, the builder benefits.

Yes, a $140 HOA fee is unlikely, and the 10,000 sq. ft. dream Lodge will most likely be downsized if the community votes in a smaller clubhouse.

Heritage Shores has a 25,000 sq. ft. clubhouse with an indoor pool and their current HOA fee is $235.00 a month. They have about 350 homes built out of 1200 planned. The golf course on site is public.

Independence has a 28,000 sq;. ft. clubhouse to include an indoor pool, no golf course and their HOA fee is around $300.00 per month.

The builder is a businessman. I would be more concerned if he made stupid mistakes and spent money on this community that turned out to be wasteful and expensive for the homeowners over the long run. Just because a clubhouse is already in place is not a valid indication that HOA fees will remain constant over the years. Utility rates, maintainence fees (housekeepers, professional pool care, landscaping), and insurance rates will undoubtably rise in the future resulting in costs being passed on to the homeowners as a substantial rise in HOA fees.

The word "deception" is somewhat harsh. The web posting and current literature do explain the plans for future construction of the Lodge at Roesville. I suggest prospective buyers look on the Q&A pages..."Will there be a clubhouse?"; "When will the Lodge be built?".

As far as changing the size of the clubhouse, or the community for that matter, it is simply speculation at this point in time...and speculation abounds at other communities as well. In some communities the clubhouse has been made available to the public for rental; another has closed it's clubhouse because it became a financial burden. At Roesville there have been no votes, no changes made at the planning commission, and no serious advances made in that direction...we simply have one consistent, $83 monthly fee.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:53 AM

If as far as changing the size of the clubhouse is simply speculation, why has the builder asked for a committee to investigate downsizing. I think it's more than just speculation on his part. The business man as you say being a business man wants to save money. Business being business, so do I. Pass those savings back to me as a former buyer if and when the future Lodge is downsized .

I never said that the HOA fee would remain $140. I said he's marketing a future Lodge at $140. Maybe he'll change that in writing as the years pass. Using future in your marketing scheme is like using Coming Soon.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
The builder is a businessman. I would be more concerned if he made stupid mistakes and spent money on this community that turned out to be wasteful and expensive for the homeowners over the long run. Just because a clubhouse is already in place is not a valid indication that HOA fees will remain constant over the years. Utility rates, maintainence fees (housekeepers, professional pool care, landscaping), and insurance rates will undoubtably rise in the future resulting in costs being passed on to the homeowners as a substantial rise in HOA fees.

The word "deception" is somewhat harsh. The web posting and current literature do explain the plans for future construction of the Lodge at Roesville. I suggest prospective buyers look on the Q&A pages..."Will there be a clubhouse?"; "When will the Lodge be built?".

As far as changing the size of the clubhouse, or the community for that matter, it is simply speculation at this point in time...and speculation abounds at other communities as well. In some communities the clubhouse has been made available to the public for rental; another has closed it's clubhouse because it became a financial burden. At Roesville there have been no votes, no changes made at the planning commission, and no serious advances made in that direction...we simply have one consistent, $83 monthly fee.

Taken from the Roesville website that talks about the temporary Club:

*Please note a comprehensive “Roesville Lodge” is planned for the entire community. The Lodge will be a larger version of the Club featuring both indoor and outdoor amenities as well as swimming facilities. For more details contact Tammy Quiroz.

Prospective buyers should ask Tammy what she's supposed to market as the future Lodge.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:20 AM

388 posts, read 999,197 times
Quote:
Here at Champions' Club in Magnolia, we do have a beautiful clubhouse with exercise room, billiards, full kitchen, ballroom, crafts room, etc plus outdoor pool, tennis courts, bocce courts, and walking/biking trail. We also have exterior maintenance, grass cutting, snow removal, landscaping care, etc all included in our HOA fee of $189 a month. We get a lot for LESS than "300 bucks"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware