Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 02:30 PM

18 posts, read 61,993 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=5]Hi elizamary[/SIZE]

Is there any place in Smyrna that I have to avoid while searching for a apartment. Please let me know about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 03:05 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,677,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpharma View Post
[SIZE=5]Hi elizamary[/SIZE]

Is there any place in Smyrna that I have to avoid while searching for a apartment. Please let me know about that.
My suggestion would be to check it out for yourself and see what would best suit you.

You can always hook up with a realtor and tell them exactly what you want, then take it from there.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:18 PM

11,358 posts, read 16,723,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
I would hardly call you an expert on smyrna since you have not been there in 2 years.
We had visited 2 years ago and there was not much but it has grown since then and is continuing to grow.

I think the 55+ community you are referring to is Bon Ayre. No pool and not much of a club house. We almost bought there but decided it was NOT what we wanted.
Since then, there have been several other communities that have spung up and are quite attractive.
Hey, I never said I was an expert.

Either way, building up or not, the crime numbers are there.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Hey, I never said I was an expert.

Either way, building up or not, the crime numbers are there.

my poi
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed
nt is smyrna is no worse that Dover.

Check this out. Smyrna and Dover are neck and neck.

Acually, I compared it to philly and philly won. But in all fairmess, philly is a larger city.

no matter where you go, there is crime.

If you still insist Smyrna is worse then lets agree to disagree.

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 04:11 AM..

Old 10-28-2007, 04:45 PM

11,358 posts, read 16,723,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
my poi

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed
nt is smyrna is no worse that Dover.

Check this out. Smyrna and Dover are neck and neck.

Acually, I compared it to philly and philly won. But in all fairmess, philly is a larger city.

no matter where you go, there is crime.

If you still insist Smyrna is worse then lets agree to disagree.
Hey Elizamary, You keep on putting words in my mouth.

I said on paper it appears that Dover is safer. Numbers don't lie.

BTW...Sorry, your numbers are 2 years old (2005). City Data is 2007.

Guess all that building might be bringing in undesirables.

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 04:11 AM..

Old 10-28-2007, 05:03 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,049,030 times
Wow ... it looks like I have some work to do on this one. I just looked at the crime data for both Dover and Smyrna and it "looks" like Dover is even worse than Smyrna, statistically, yet Smyrna got the worst rating. Further, each of these reports goes against the things that I've seen and been told about ... none of which makes any sense at all. When it comes to the old question "What will you believe, the facts or my lying eyes?", I don't know yet.

I'm a firm believer in statistics and don't doubt that the numbers are accurate. But something just doesn't feel right to me so obviously I have some work to do. Don't ask me what, yet. I need to think about this a little bit. I need to have a better understanding of what I'm seeing.

Obviously, if I figure anything out for myself, I will share it with you all.

Charley

Old 10-29-2007, 12:28 AM

903 posts, read 3,507,256 times
Since we targeted a specific school district, we purposely are south of Dover. I have heard mixed reviews of all districts, including Smyrna. From what I gather, the tremendous growth in the "greater Dover" area has brought with it the good, and the bad.

From what I have seen of Smyrna, it seems to be a nice town. In fact, my landlord lives there somewhere, and he's pretty picky. So apparently, there are some very nice areas around.

I will point out there is a prison somewhere in Smyrna. I don't know a lot about the classifications of the prisoners, but I gather it is not just a local county jail. Don't know if that plays into the numbers, but I know it does in other locales.

As far as someone's comments about "educated" vs. "uneducated"... personally I don't believe that is always a good indicator. Frankly, I and my husband are "simple" high school graduates, by choice. But we are very moral people, have been steadily employed in our 25+ adult years, and our kids are getting good educations. Diplomas and degrees are only worth the paper they are printed on for some people.

Mary

Old 10-29-2007, 03:42 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,049,030 times
I believe that any crimes that occur within a prison walls do count as having happened in the town or city where the prison is located. That would explain Ossining in New York ... where "Sing Sing" Prison is located. I wonder if that also explains Smyrna.

Charley

Old 10-29-2007, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
I will point out there is a prison somewhere in Smyrna. I don't know a lot about the classifications of the prisoners, but I gather it is not just a local county jail. Don't know if that plays into the numbers, but I know it does in other locales.

As far as someone's comments about "educated" vs. "uneducated"... personally I don't believe that is always a good indicator. Frankly, I and my husband are "simple" high school graduates, by choice. But we are very moral people, have been steadily employed in our 25+ adult years, and our kids are getting good educations. Diplomas and degrees are only worth the paper they are printed on for some people.

Mary
I'm sure there are plenty of undesirable educated people as well. Look at Tom Capano........Just one example.
I'm a high school grad, guess I"m on the undesirable border

Salivating for Chinese Mary? I am!!!

Old 10-29-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
I believe that any crimes that occur within a prison walls do count as having happened in the town or city where the prison is located. That would explain Ossining in New York ... where "Sing Sing" Prison is located. I wonder if that also explains Smyrna.

Charley
There is a prison called Sing Sing?:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware