Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Delaware a Northeastern State?
Yes, Delaware is a northeastern state 95 56.89%
No, Delaware is not a northeastern state 72 43.11%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 06:37 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
People often want to confuse culture with geography. I don't look at states and say they are southern or northern based on civil war history or economic ties. Delaware is in the NE because that is where it is on the map, no explanation needed! But also it is more similar to other NE states like PA and NJ. IMO Maryland is also a NE state.

So well said! There have been a spate of threads asking if this or that state is Southern, Midwestern - or whatever.

This is generally asked about "border states" - those that are geographically at the crossroads of two pr perhaps more geographical regions.

These states are located where they are. They will obviously incorporate social and cultural aspects of the neighboring regions. Delaware is a prime example. It boarders the middle Atlantic/North East. And the south.

So it's a mixture. As are many states.

Migration as well as geography can figure into this. I live in Ohio. There have been questions about Ohio as a "Midwestern State" because it borders some North Eastern states and WVA as well as Kentucky.
Does that make it Northeastern or Southern? Do some people here speak with a Southern accent? Sure. But Ohio is IN the Midwest.

No. Of course not. It's Midwestern. Geographically. With influences from border states and migration.

Not everything can be neatly packaged socially and culturally. When it comes to geography, there should be fewer problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 07:42 PM

605 posts, read 669,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
If the Mason-Dixon Line is used as a line between the Northeast and the Southeast, then Delaware and New Jersey would be northeastern states, but Maryland, an another state similar to New Jersey and Delaware would be placed in the Southeast instead.

http://www.exploretheline.com/images/linemap.jpg
The Mason-Dixon Line is just a line that settles a boundary dispute between Maryland and Delaware, in all reality there are much more similarities than differences between Maryland and Pennsylvania/Delaware then there are with truly southern states such as Virginia/North Carolina especially if you look at it from a historical, economical, and cultural standpoint. If you want to get an accurate cultural boundary between the Northern states and Southern states it would make much more sense to use the Potomac River and the Ohio River as boundaries between the Northern states and Southern states.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:28 PM

136 posts, read 381,859 times
Here's a map I found that shows Delaware as a northeast state.
Is Delaware a Northeastern State?-map_usa.jpg
click to enlarge

Old 08-22-2014, 11:28 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,404 times
And here's one, from the EPA no less, that puts Delaware in the Mid-Atantic region.
NOx SIP Call Status Map for the Mid-Atlantic States | Mid-Atlantic Air Protection

I can list a dozen more links that do the same, like this one: Mid-Atlantic states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

That's why this poll question is just stupid. Delaware is a Mid-Atlantic state. It's not Northeastern. The U.S. East Coast is too big and too varied to divide into Northeast or not Northeast. And Mid-Atlantic is certainly not a subset of Northeast.

Delaware has a lot in common with the states just north and south, and not much with the ones that get to be 250 miles away in either direction. It's Mid-Atlantic. It's a distinct region.

The map you posted is quite simplistic. The whole West Coast is part of "The West"? Oregon and Washington are commonly known as the "Pacific Northwest," which is very different from the West of the Rockies.

Maybe the underlying question is: How many regions are required to adequately fine-tune a definition of regions in the continental U.S.? I certainly don't think FIVE -- as in the above map -- are enough.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:31 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,036 times
Not Northeastern, just Eastern. It is a mid Atlantic state, not part of the South.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:33 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
And here's one, from the EPA no less, that puts Delaware in the Mid-Atantic region.
NOx SIP Call Status Map for the Mid-Atlantic States | Mid-Atlantic Air Protection

I can list a dozen more links that do the same, like this one: Mid-Atlantic states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

That's why this poll question is just stupid. Delaware is a Mid-Atlantic state. It's not Northeastern. The U.S. East Coast is too big to divide into Northeast or not Northeast. And Mid-Atlantic is certainly not a subset of Northeast.

Delaware has a lot in common with the states directly north and south, and not much with the ones that get to be 250 miles away in either direction. It's Mid-Atlantic. It's a distinct region.
Go easy there, no need for insults.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:12 AM

342 posts, read 510,996 times
Delaware is easily northeastern. Nothing southern about that place whatsoever.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:17 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Suggest you look at a map. Never in your life have you crossed the Mason-Dixon Line heading south into Delaware.
touché. for some reason I thought it was below it. although looking at the map it might as well be below it.

Regardless. Delaware is Nothing like the northeast.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:47 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Nobody has asked this question yet. But I heard a few people not calling Delaware a northeastern state. Why is that despite Delaware being geographically a northeastern state on the US map? I have always considered Delaware a northeastern state, being that Delaware used to be part of Pennsylvania, an another northeastern state and Delaware has strong connections to Philadelphia and New Jersey.
I think that politically and socially it's a northeastern state but geographically, it's really a mid-Atlantic state, like Maryland and Virginia.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:04 AM

5 posts, read 14,580 times
In my youth I had the good luck to be a Dupont Brat, a term I had not heard until we moved to Newark for about a year and a half. I had lived in Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, California, Texas, Virginia (twice). Delawares' culinary distinction was certainly not Southern, neither was the accent, but the hospitality outdid some southern states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware