Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Delaware a Northeastern State?
Yes, Delaware is a northeastern state 95 56.89%
No, Delaware is not a northeastern state 72 43.11%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 04:20 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 05:39 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,880,867 times
Ok, Maryland ,Virginia ,and West. Virginia are also Northeastern states since they have more land mass than Delaware north of the State in discussion .

Old 08-24-2018, 11:55 AM

622 posts, read 949,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Ok, Maryland ,Virginia ,and West. Virginia are also Northeastern states since they have more land mass than Delaware north of the State in discussion .
Virginia and West Virginia are not northeastern states.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:49 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
I usually define any state to be Northeast of Washington DC to be a Northeastern state.........

Old 08-24-2018, 02:35 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,880,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Nobody has asked this question yet. But I heard a few people not calling Delaware a northeastern state. Why is that despite Delaware being geographically a northeastern state on the US map? I have always considered Delaware a northeastern state, being that Delaware used to be part of Pennsylvania, an another northeastern state and Delaware has strong connections to Philadelphia and New Jersey.
You asked this question back in May,,,.your beating a dead horse for UP Votes.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Suggest you look at a map. Never in your life have you crossed the Mason-Dixon Line heading south into Delaware.
I suggest you look at a map. There is a tiny portion of Delaware, on the way western side, that has a border with the Mason-Dixon line.
http://ontheworldmap.com/usa/state/d...-and-towns.jpg

Old 08-24-2018, 08:53 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I suggest you look at a map. There is a tiny portion of Delaware, on the way western side, that has a border with the Mason-Dixon line.
I thought the Mason-Dixon line was the entire western border of Delaware?

I think you are referring to "the wedge", which was originally a part of Pennsylvania, then ultimately given to Delaware.

When they (Mason and Dixon) were doing their survey, the northeast corner of MD, was the corner of the Mason-Dixon line, with PA to the north and the east. I don't believe the Mason-Dixon line ever continued to the start of the arc, if you know what I mean?

So that little section of what is now the PA-DE border (northwest corner of Delaware, top of the wedge) was already on the other side of the Mason-Dixon boundary, so it would be impossible to go south from PA and cross the line into Delaware, since the line was always the border between PA and MD and then MD and DE.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ma...!4d-75.7886052

The PA-MD-DE tristate marker (been there) formerly the PA-MD 90° corner is/was the corner of the Mason-Dixon line. I'm probably one of the few people on here that have been to the wedge, the tristate stone and arc corner stone.

From Wikipedia:

Pennsylvania claimed the Wedge because it was beyond the Twelve-Mile Circle and past the Maryland side of the Mason–Dixon Line, therefore part of neither Maryland nor Delaware.

Delaware claimed the Wedge because it was never intended that Pennsylvania should go below the northern border of Maryland (which originally ran at 40° N all the way to the Delaware River). The North Line is logically an extension of the Tangent Line and therefore should separate Maryland and Delaware. Even though the Wedge is outside the Twelve-Mile Circle, because it is south of the 39° 43' N compromise line, it should not be part of Pennsylvania.

Last edited by cjseliga; 08-24-2018 at 09:09 PM..

Old 08-25-2018, 03:37 AM

405 posts, read 676,192 times
Quote:
I'm probably one of the few people on here that have been to the wedge, the tristate stone and arc corner stone.
Been there, done that.

Old 08-25-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
Been there, done that.
Well that's two of us, do I hear a third, do I hear a third!

Old 08-25-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Here's a better illustration of what I was trying to say in my previous post. It truly is impossible to go south from PA into Delaware and cross the Mason-Dixon line.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware