Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North Delaware or South Delaware
North Delaware (Newark,Wilngton) 3 75.00%
South Delaware (Dover) 1 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 01:47 PM

17 posts, read 33,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Thought I might throw this out to you.

I recently moved to Stamford, CT from Chicago after living in Chicago for 40 years and growing up in Brooklyn.

Chicago is pretty much like any big city with more than its share of fabulous bigotry as well as political corruption. But, truly, where I lived in Chicago, in the neighborhood of Lakeview and Lincoln Park (neighborhoods that stretch about 4 miles along the lake), I never felt any racial bigotry ((I am Jewish and my wife is Chinese). It is a virtual mecca for tolerance including the second largest gay community in the U.S. Very dense and everything I needed within a square mile radius.

Here in Stamford I was quickly reminded of suble bigotry that I had long forgotten. People are people and I miss that part of Lakeview (not the corruption). I know how you feel and what you are looking for. On the eastcoast, of the places I've visited (we are looking for a permanent place to live), the best I've found is probably Silver Spring, MD but I don't know to much about it and housing is as expensive as it is here in the Metro NY area.

Another really beautiful place I can throw out to you is Madison WI. Too cold for our retirement but another very comfortable place to live.

Good luck!
Thanks so much! It's nice to see other people who are empathetic to our circumstance. I lived in Northern California and in Silver Spring, MD, both locations are beautiful with amazing people-amazing people who can afford to live there. I love the east coast over the west because of the plethora of ethnic foods and acceptance of individuality, especially when it comes to fashion. Other than that, the east and west coast are pretty similar for me in terms of diversity, societal progressiveness+tolerance and of course bigotry+corruption. silver Spring is a lovely place, I just wish I could afford to live there. We've decided to stay in Houston for the time being and travel/explore cities on the east coast before going back.

Thanks again for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware