Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 04:02 PM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times

Advertisements

About odors.....I won't be cooking ham and cabbage while we're cooped up (like a chicken coop) in the house! Same for bacon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 07:06 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim man View Post
Chenangosun- don't touch this one, as I was told, chicken farms make some in DE a living. Your lucky you only have to live with the smell, DE has a lot of old wooden chicken barns, that are run down and an eyesore. But in about 1000 years it will be part of the earth. But please Chen do not disagree with anyone on this post, you will be scolded, some here live for this form. This form is for nothing negative, theres no issues in DE. Smell what smell!!!

Some???? Isn't chicken the largest export of De.? It doesn't make "some" people money, it makes many people money. Does it stink? Go down there and find out for yourself. Look at your realty maps on google earth to see how far chicken ranches are from your possible buy.

Old 04-10-2020, 04:56 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
chemicals are Delaware's biggest export.

Old 04-10-2020, 06:57 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
About odors.....I won't be cooking ham and cabbage while we're cooped up (like a chicken coop) in the house! Same for bacon!
I love the smell of bacon. Just bought the new puppy a bacon scented ball! Wish I new they had them before I got the puppy. LOL

Old 04-10-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I love the smell of bacon. Just bought the new puppy a bacon scented ball! Wish I new they had them before I got the puppy. LOL
LOL! I love bacon, but don't want to have it lingering for 3-4 days. Good luck with the new puppy! You now have plenty of time to clean up after him/her!

Old 04-10-2020, 09:04 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I use one brand of perfume that I love and to my nose it is a very pleasant scent that is light. To others it is too sweet. No-one knows how you react to smells.
While this is perhaps true about cologne, I don’t know anyone who appreciates the smell of chickensh-t.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Some???? Isn't chicken the largest export of De.? It doesn't make "some" people money, it makes many people money. Does it stink? Go down there and find out for yourself. Look at your realty maps on google earth to see how far chicken ranches are from your possible buy.
When I was a teenager, my parents had a chicken farm. I remember my father saying 'never complain about the smell of chicken poop. Give Thanks!'

I learned to love that smell, because it translated into money in the bank for us to survive, paid for my education, and paid for my first car. That stuck with me, and formed my opinions of snobs complaining about the odors. This is Delaware, a working-agricultural state.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-16-2020 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: removed the "get over yourself"

Old 04-11-2020, 04:56 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
And this thread illustrates why states and counties have had to adopt Right to Farm laws.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:10 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
When I was a teenager, my parents had a chicken farm. I remember my father saying 'never complain about the smell of chicken poop. Give Thanks!'

I learned to love that smell, because it translated into money in the bank for us to survive, paid for my education, and paid for my first car. That stuck with me, and formed my opinions of snobs complaining about the odors. This is Delaware, a working-agricultural state.
Lol, as was posted above it seems against the "rules" to complain about something. Get over myself???? I'm sorry for offering my opinion. OP asked a question pertaining to the smell. Shouldn't they come down and see/smell for themselves? Not everyone wants to live next to a farm. (does that make one a snob?)Shouldn't they be informed on how close they are living near a potential no go(for them, not you since they were asking for themselves) Or should they just blindly purchase a home down here? That wouldn't be a good idea would it???

Good grief I never stated De. wasn't a working agricultural state. How am I being a snob? Was I complaining? As a hobby farmer I take offense to your odor snobbery lol.
And yes there are a lot of chicken ranches here!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-16-2020 at 04:31 PM..

Old 04-11-2020, 11:51 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
And thus, a theme emerges:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim man View Post
Chen do not disagree with anyone on this post, you will be scolded, some here live for this form. This form is for nothing negative, theres no issues in DE. Smell what smell!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Lol, as was posted above it seems against the "rules" to complain about something. Not everyone wants to live next to a farm. (does that make one a snob?)
One might think that during these difficult times, there might be a few universally-held beliefs that would draw our our social distances just a bit closer. Beliefs such as "the sky is blue" and "chickensh_t stinks." But no such luck. I'll therefore assert for only myself that chickensh-t stinks and I wouldn't want to live downwind of a chickenhouse. If that makes me a snob, I'll bet I have a lot of company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware