Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 01:24 PM

45,467 posts, read 60,692,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
...……………... I'll therefore assert for only myself that chickensh-t stinks and I wouldn't want to live downwind of a chickenhouse. If that makes me a snob, I'll bet I have a lot of company.
And there begets a problem. You won't live downwind but many people move to the country/rural farming areas with absolutely no clue about what that means except from Norman Rockwell paintings and watching Deliverance.

So the first time they catch a whiff of farming smells, or get behind a tractor, or see that dust cloud from plowing, or see the cropduster plane, or see someone wearing orange and carrying a 12 gauge assault rifle they go bat **** crazy and start writing letters to the Editor, filing complaints with the State and making general nuisances of themselves.

There was an incident here a year or so ago where a new gated subdivision resident just went absolutely nuts over. Seems she'd bought next to a woodlot that she used even though it belonged to the adjoining farm. Well, the farmer had it selectively logged (per his agreement and management plan when enrolling in the forest preservation program) and she wrote letters, called officials, tried to file injunctions, etc. just because she didn't think it was right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 01:52 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,273,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And there begets a problem. You won't live downwind but many people move to the country/rural farming areas with absolutely no clue about what that means except from Norman Rockwell paintings and watching Deliverance.

So the first time they catch a whiff of farming smells, or get behind a tractor, or see that dust cloud from plowing, or see the cropduster plane, or see someone wearing orange and carrying a 12 gauge assault rifle they go bat **** crazy and start writing letters to the Editor, filing complaints with the State and making general nuisances of themselves.

There was an incident here a year or so ago where a new gated subdivision resident just went absolutely nuts over. Seems she'd bought next to a woodlot that she used even though it belonged to the adjoining farm. Well, the farmer had it selectively logged (per his agreement and management plan when enrolling in the forest preservation program) and she wrote letters, called officials, tried to file injunctions, etc. just because she didn't think it was right.
A tale as old as time. In a Texas, we lived across the street from an Irish pub that had one loud blow out each year on St Patrick’s Day (and even that shut down at 10 pm). The rest of the year there would be a just handful of patrons at a time. My neighbor would get beside himself every March, fulminating as the party on SP day drew ever closer. But I always knew the score. The pub was in business when we moved in and in business when we left. Just as I expected.

In the case of this thread, however, the OP was actually exercising due diligence in trying to get the 411 on chickenpoop rather than blindly move in next to a farm, as the lady in your story did. Unfortunately, they’ve risked being labeled just another snob who thinks chickensh-t stinks. Sigh

Old 04-11-2020, 02:06 PM

5,753 posts, read 4,716,020 times
The best chicken ranches are in Nevada.

Old 04-11-2020, 05:40 PM

13,059 posts, read 18,149,829 times
Quote:
A tale as old as time. In a Texas, we lived across the street from an Irish pub that had one loud blow out each year on St Patrick’s Day (and even that shut down at 10 pm). The rest of the year there would be a just handful of patrons at a time. My neighbor would get beside himself every March, fulminating as the party on SP day drew ever closer. But I always knew the score. The pub was in business when we moved in and in business when we left. Just as I expected.

In the case of this thread, however, the OP was actually exercising due diligence in trying to get the 411 on chickenpoop rather than blindly move in next to a farm, as the lady in your story did. Unfortunately, they’ve risked being labeled just another snob who thinks chickensh-t stinks. Sigh
No not really. I did my homework before moving here and asked questions that were not subjective but rather objective. JMO. The better question and therefore the more informative answer received, would have been, I am considering the ABC Community that is on XXXXX road, how close are the chicken farms to that location and if there are any posters that live in ABC Community can you please answer?

I know it is done and will continue to be done, but I can't imagine not thoroughly researching and visiting each place I thought I might want to park my sandals in. I have stated this many times over, we fell in love with Rehoboth by accident on a trip to Florida that was cut short due to inclement weather. We turned around before we got there and decided to do a little investigation on our future on our way home. That was in May. We fell in major love and being rational people decided that all that glitters is not gold and we needed to really check this place out before pulling the plug on a home. Over the next several years we spent a portion of every month here to see what it was like. The only month we missed was January, but we were here Feb 2nd. We still are in love and all that glitters is not gold, but that applies no matter where you are.

Ask all the questions you want, but, subjective ones are not the best way to make a good decision. One mans meat is another's poison. The smell of a chicken farm may be offensive to some and not to others.

Old 04-12-2020, 06:51 AM

9,730 posts, read 14,282,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
No not really. I did my homework before moving here and asked questions that were not subjective but rather objective. JMO. The better question and therefore the more informative answer received, would have been, I am considering the ABC Community that is on XXXXX road, how close are the chicken farms to that location and if there are any posters that live in ABC Community can you please answer?

I know it is done and will continue to be done, but I can't imagine not thoroughly researching and visiting each place I thought I might want to park my sandals in. I have stated this many times over, we fell in love with Rehoboth by accident on a trip to Florida that was cut short due to inclement weather. We turned around before we got there and decided to do a little investigation on our future on our way home. That was in May. We fell in major love and being rational people decided that all that glitters is not gold and we needed to really check this place out before pulling the plug on a home. Over the next several years we spent a portion of every month here to see what it was like. The only month we missed was January, but we were here Feb 2nd. We still are in love and all that glitters is not gold, but that applies no matter where you are.

Ask all the questions you want, but, subjective ones are not the best way to make a good decision. One mans meat is another's poison. The smell of a chicken farm may be offensive to some and not to others.
Once again, Nuts is the voice of "reason". ..... This glitters: You've earned "gold" status, and your "local" badge is in the mail! Thanks for that informative post! BTW, when this virus clears....we're having lunch together, somewhere near you. Anywhere...because I'm working all over Delaware, most days.

Flashback: In the 60's we bought a 160 acre farm, and built a new home smack down in the middle of it, with a 3/4 mile long lane, and in the most rural area we could find.....because we farmers heard the "city people" were coming......not chicken farms, "city people". As nuts said, "One man's meat is another's poison". LOL

Last edited by rdlr; 04-12-2020 at 07:04 AM..

Old 04-12-2020, 08:40 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,273,039 times
Quote:
The better question and therefore the more informative answer received, would have been, I am considering the ABC Community that is on XXXXX road, how close are the chicken farms to that location and if there are any posters that live in ABC Community can you please answer?
Well, you’re not the OP. A re-read if his or her post reveals s/he one time lived in an area with significant odor and didn’t want to make the same mistake again. Succinctly, the OP simply wants to know if the Lewes area smells unpleasant. A fair enough question before s/he considers the area further.
Quote:
The smell of a chicken farm may be offensive to some and not to others.
Not sure how many chicken houses you’ve spent time in. As a Sussex County native, I’ve been in my share. I can assure you that they are not places where most people choose to linger. But who knows? It’s possible CD appeals to a certain subset of folks who like the smell of chickensh-t. If so, I’ll leave you to enjoy one another’s company should the thread have any more life in it. I’ve devoted enough time on “chicken ranches” to last me a good, long while.

Happy Easter, everyone!

Old 04-12-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Well, you’re not the OP. A re-read if his or her post reveals s/he one time lived in an area with significant odor and didn’t want to make the same mistake again. Succinctly, the OP simply wants to know if the Lewes area smells unpleasant. A fair enough question before s/he considers the area further.

Not sure how many chicken houses you’ve spent time in. As a Sussex County native, I’ve been in my share. I can assure you that they are not places where most people choose to linger. But who knows? It’s possible CD appeals to a certain subset of folks who like the smell of chickensh-t. If so, I’ll leave you to enjoy one another’s company should the thread have any more life in it. I’ve devoted enough time on “chicken ranches” to last me a good, long while.

Happy Easter, everyone!
:

Here is the original quote. My reply to you below

My wife and I are considering a move to the Lewes area in Delaware. She read a post somewhere that there is an unpleasant odor associated with the chickens. As we lived in a town with a dogfood factory that gave off smells that we did not appreciate, we would like to know if the area smells of anything unpleasant.:

You missed my point. To patently state that Lewes smells of anything is beyond absurd. The OP needs to visit and not rule the area out based upon what a stranger says on an anonymous blog site.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Once again, Nuts is the voice of "reason". ..... This glitters: You've earned "gold" status, and your "local" badge is in the mail! Thanks for that informative post! BTW, when this virus clears....we're having lunch together, somewhere near you. Anywhere...because I'm working all over Delaware, most days.

Flashback: In the 60's we bought a 160 acre farm, and built a new home smack down in the middle of it, with a 3/4 mile long lane, and in the most rural area we could find.....because we farmers heard the "city people" were coming......not chicken farms, "city people". As nuts said, "One man's meat is another's poison". LOL
My pleasure to finally meet you.

Old 04-12-2020, 12:37 PM

9,730 posts, read 14,282,898 times
Best News I've Heard! ^^
Now, we can all agree....people need to do their research before they move anywhere.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:52 AM

194 posts, read 181,734 times
Have a beach house in Lewes and never have smelled chicken farms, only that salty beach air!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware