Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:48 PM

48 posts, read 179,819 times

Advertisements

We rented for a while at Brandywine Woods in Bear, and was pretty safe. They have some short term rentals so can give you some time to check DE out. zip was 19701.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 12,591 times
Default relocating too from colorado to delware

HI, I see that you were relocationg from Colorado to Delaware. I am planning on doing so too. So, I wanted to ask you, have you relocated and what do you think of Delaware. I am orginally from NYC and Colorado is fine, but want to move back to the east coast and to the beach. Please let me know if you did relocate and what you think of Delaware and if you liked living in Colorado. Thank you. Jayne

Old 07-20-2008, 11:06 AM

13 posts, read 133,754 times
Great resource:

Quote:
http//php.delawareonline.com/crime/

Old 03-18-2011, 05:38 AM

103 posts, read 360,554 times
Default Invaluable help, thanks!

The trouble that you all go to to help people by giving them details and advice regarding places to live in the state, etc, is wonderful. Thanks! I'm moving from Bucks County, PA to Delaware somewhere...and I'm pretty clueless. Your words help.

Much gratitude,
Connie

Old 09-16-2011, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 6,083 times
what about Seaford, DE???

Old 09-16-2011, 03:27 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggd1710 View Post
what about Seaford, DE???
Seaford has higher than average unemployment and drugs have become pretty prevalent in the area. My parents have lived there for many years and have never had a problem, however. Like all places, some neighborhoods are better than others.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:40 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
Agree with jm02. Some places are better than others. My husband's family has lived in Blades and Seaford for generations, and my husband left there ten years ago. Some neighborhoods are nice and peaceful, no issues but my in-laws live in an older area that has really gone downhill. Drug dealers, addicts, prostitutes, "halfway houses" filled with wayward teens, many foreclosed homes, homes filled with convicts and multiple families--you name it, it lives around my in-laws. It used to be a decent, middle class community about twenty years ago, but the past ten years it's gotten pretty bad. They live in west Seaford and want to move to a better neighborhood in the Seaford area.

If there is a certain area in Seaford you're looking at, then possibly jm02 or I (I'll ask the husband's advice) can advise you.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:49 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
What factors over the last quarter century account for the deterioration of Seaford?

Old 09-16-2011, 05:09 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
What factors over the last quarter century account for the deterioration of Seaford?
Primarily the long slow decline of the DuPont nylon plant as the town's main employer. The plant reached its employment peak sometime in the late 1960s/early 1970s with something like 4000 employees. That was in a town not much larger - counting men, women and children! This meant that DuPont employed not only the overwhelming number of adults in Seaford, but quite a significant number in the neighboring towns. In addition to these being well-payig jobs, at that time, many folks who worked there held PhDs as Seaford was a key research center for DuPont fibers. This meant the town had to offer many more amenities than it does now in order the satisfy the demands for the workforce - most important among these being a quality school system. Much of this was bought and paid for with DuPont dollars.

The long slow decline of employment at the DuPont plant over the ensuing decades reflected a parallel decline in the town. With Koch now in charge, there are now something like 130 employees total, and with that, making a fraction of what DuPont paid its staff. Quite a change. It's remarkable Seaford has actually grown in that time rather than dried up and withered. That said, it's a very different culture there from the heyday of DuPont.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 09-16-2011 at 05:22 PM..

Old 12-03-2011, 07:47 PM

3 posts, read 24,859 times
I don't know anything about Delaware, but I am looking to relocate there. I was looking at the School called Wilmington Charter is that a good school and if so is Wilmington a great / good place to bring up my 11 year old soon

thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware