Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2024, 11:16 PM

87 posts, read 128,942 times

Advertisements

Hi folks -

I would appreciate some help... what can you tell me about Felton and Magnolia -

The Good... The Bad... The Ugly --

Anyone relocate from New Castle County -- did your costs go down by a lot (i.e. insurance, utilities, etc)

What about crime? We are in Middletown and even though they say stuff happens here --

I have yet to see it firsthand...

Thank you for being so helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 10:03 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinb View Post
Hi folks -

I would appreciate some help... what can you tell me about Felton and Magnolia -

The Good... The Bad... The Ugly --

Anyone relocate from New Castle County -- did your costs go down by a lot (i.e. insurance, utilities, etc)

What about crime? We are in Middletown and even though they say stuff happens here --

I have yet to see it firsthand...

Thank you for being so helpful.

All I know about Felton is that the fire company has a trailer selling very good ice cream on Friday evenings in the summer and now, since last summer, they have food: burgers, hot dogs or sausage sandwiches, chips and soft drinks. And there is a great independent hardware store about 2 blocks from the firehouse, Felton Hardware. Magnolia I really don’t know anything about, sorry.

Old 02-19-2024, 09:45 AM

6,146 posts, read 4,504,012 times
I saw Magnolia during lockdown when I worked for the census. It looked new, manufactured, and the streets hadn't been paved yet. I saw a lot of families with kids and incomers, which you yourself would be. And that's all I know about Magnolia.

Felton is a speed trap, as are several other towns down here.

Old 02-19-2024, 05:38 PM

9,719 posts, read 14,256,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I saw Magnolia during lockdown when I worked for the census. It looked new, manufactured, and the streets hadn't been paved yet. I saw a lot of families with kids and incomers, which you yourself would be. And that's all I know about Magnolia.

Felton is a speed trap, as are several other towns down here.
Magnolia is a small town with existing older homes, not a subdivision, that leads from Camden, DE (Rt. 13) to Rising Sun, to the Town of Magnolia. From Magnoiia, you'll pick up Coastal Hwy, which leads to the Rehoboth Beach/Lewes area. Many new subdivisions surround the Town of Maagnolia.The Town of Magnolia lies within the Dover Air Force flight path, which doesn't seem to have a negative impact on new developments popping up around the old town. There's a historic mansion, the Lindale House, along Main Street in the Town of Magnolia that has a sign proclaiming "Center of the Universe".

Last edited by rdlr; 02-19-2024 at 05:57 PM..

Old 02-20-2024, 03:16 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Magnolia is a small town with existing older homes, not a subdivision, that leads from Camden, DE (Rt. 13) to Rising Sun, to the Town of Magnolia. From Magnoiia, you'll pick up Coastal Hwy, which leads to the Rehoboth Beach/Lewes area. Many new subdivisions surround the Town of Maagnolia.The Town of Magnolia lies within the Dover Air Force flight path, which doesn't seem to have a negative impact on new developments popping up around the old town. There's a historic mansion, the Lindale House, along Main Street in the Town of Magnolia that has a sign proclaiming "Center of the Universe".

rdlr: I enjoy traveling to very small towns, parking, then walking around taking in the scenery and taking photos. By the way, your town is my favorite one to do that. I have gone to Magnolia several times and photographed that house - the original owner made his fortune from peaches. Other towns I like to photograph are Leipsic, Little Creek, Viola and Lewes. There is so much to see in small towns. I have heard that there is a huge new subdivision being built just outside Magnolia. I can’t answer the original poster’s questions re: cost savings in either of those towns, though.

Old 02-22-2024, 11:19 PM

3 posts, read 2,533 times
We moved to Dover from Wilmington back in 95. I believe Kent County had that small town feeling then, people knew each other, and if they didn't know you they were still friendly or cordial.

Felton, Magnolia...even Camden at that time we're pretty much country by our city standards. Quiet little towns and wide open spaces.

In my opinion Felton is still very 'small town's with still a lot of country if that is something you are interested in. There has been new housing developments going up over the past 10+ years, but nothing close to the building in Magnolia. Many of the newer homes are large and expensive...around $300k and up.

You would need to travel for shopping & any type entertainment...about 10 miles to Camden/Dover or east to Milford.

I believe the cost of living is slightly lower down here. Much of that may be attributed to lack of entertainment if you like going to movies, bowling, out to eat, etc. Not a lot to do in those two areas locally - you would need to travel to Dover, Milford or the beaches.

I loved Wilmington as I was born & raised there, but the building, traffic, higher end shopping, etc. made me reluctant to travel up there even to see family. Dover has really gone downhill, but I still prefer being here.

Old 02-23-2024, 12:41 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,910,344 times
Our friend lives in Felton, in an older home. He doesn't have any complaints. Definitely a country vibe and small town feel. You would need to drive for shopping, entertainment, etc.

Old Today, 08:57 AM

7 posts, read 49,336 times
We are looking at a leasing development in Bridgeville--Heritage Shores--would appreciate any info on the area, golf course, or the development itself--seems great so far--tks--cw

Old Today, 04:57 PM

6,146 posts, read 4,504,012 times
The people who live there seem to like it and the prices have about doubled since I moved nearby. Actually, the development has about doubled as well. Bridgeville itself is still small town-ish, but they are building even now.

Old Today, 06:09 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,910,344 times
^^I hear the same as well. I live down the road in Seaford, but I haven't heard any complaints from anyone who lives in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware